Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gkf9 - 2015-12-10

Obviously try set the PVR up1st after reset, so there's nothing to loose kind of thing, Or maybe save your skin settings/ Kodi settings as you go, maybe a good idea.

What version of Kodi are you using by the way?
I'm on Jarvis beta 3 I think, I'll risk it tonight and see if I get the same problem.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-12-10

I'm just using stock version off play store. Will try latest nightly next time/attempt

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - natetg57 - 2015-12-10

Is Kodi on the Shield able to play 24/96 Flac files at full resolution? They seem to be downsampled to 48khz. Will this feature be included in a future release?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - abpostelnicu - 2015-12-10

Guys i have some questions:
- Will this pasthrough hd audi
- does this support 4k@60hz
- does this support 10bit
- does it run nicely kodi from android market
- does it support hdmi-cec, and if so at what extent

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-12-10

Some reading might solve your questions

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gkf9 - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 12:10)mahockey Wrote: I'm just using stock version off play store. Will try latest nightly next time/attempt

Tried to set up the PVR on my Egnima box, couldn't get it to work, don't know if it was my make of box?

Nothing crashed whilst trying to set it up, bit maybe that's because I couldn't set it up?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - dropzone7 - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 15:55)abpostelnicu Wrote: Guys i have some questions:

I have had mine for about a week. The version of Kodi that runs on this is currently not supporting HD audio pass-through. That was a big disappointment to me and something I was not aware of. I was sure that I had done my homework but apparently not. Even with "expert" settings level enabled in Kodi, I am not seeing near the features and options that I am used to seeing in Kodi on my Chromebox and FireTV. As for 4k60hz, I don't even see an option for it in the resolution settings of the Shield. I see 4k/30hz, 4k/23.98, 1080p/60, etc. Not sure about 10-bit. Fairly certain that HDMI-CEC is supported but I have not tried it.

Basically, this has become a paperweight for me until the Kodi version is able to support HD audio and video playback is smoother. I may return it but I'm holding out hope issues will be resolved eventually.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - abpostelnicu - 2015-12-10

what a pity the hw is very capable Sad Are there any unofficial versions that do have support for these stuff? Nightlys or betas?

(2015-12-10, 20:24)dropzone7 Wrote:

I have had mine for about a week. The version of Kodi that runs on this is currently not supporting HD audio pass-through. That was a big disappointment to me and something I was not aware of. I was sure that I had done my homework but apparently not. Even with "expert" settings level enabled in Kodi, I am not seeing near the features and options that I am used to seeing in Kodi on my Chromebox and FireTV. As for 4k60hz, I don't even see an option for it in the resolution settings of the Shield. I see 4k/30hz, 4k/23.98, 1080p/60, etc. Not sure about 10-bit. Fairly certain that HDMI-CEC is supported but I have not tried it.

Basically, this has become a paperweight for me until the Kodi version is able to support HD audio and video playback is smoother. I may return it but I'm holding out hope issues will be resolved eventually.
Oh boehoe. Perhaps some initial investigation had already told you all this.
FYI mine is doing perfect 4k@60 hz and you can just do PCM for hd audio as it makes no difference.

(2015-12-10, 20:34)Martijn Wrote:

FYI mine is doing perfect 4k@60 hz and you can just do PCM for hd audio as it makes no difference.

Yes, I had already admitted that it was my fault for not catching this shortcoming in my research so I don't need you to remind me.

So since you are so well versed on the subject, how did you select 4k60hz in the Shield HDMI menu because I certainly don't see an option for it there.

Also, PCM is NOT the same so YES it does make a difference.

I have a TV that is actually UHD with hdmi2.0

Also hd audio will become available soon (and no we don't give an exact date)

(2015-12-10, 20:46)Martijn Wrote: I have a TV that is actually UHD with hdmi2.0

Also hd audio will become available soon (and no we don't give an exact date)

Okay, now we are getting somewhere and you made me think. I have a 4K TV with multiple HDMI ports supporting 4K/30hz and HDMI 2.0. However, only one of the ports supports HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and 4K/60hz. Perhaps if I plug the shield into that HDMI port then the 4K/60hz resolution option will appear in the setup menu.

As for HD audio, I am willing to wait until that happens because I still feel like the Shield is a powerful piece of hardware. I did not buy it for gaming however. I bought it for Kodi and yes, it is my own dam fault for not knowing how Kodi operates in Android. I love Kodi on my Chromebox running Openelec and I was just so used to all of those features that I assumed with the Shield being a superior piece of hardware that it would be at least equal or better in running Kodi. I know now that this an Android limitation. I appreciate the Kodi community and I will be patient and see how it pans out on the Shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - SofaKng - 2015-12-10

Do you guys know if the Shield TV supports IP control?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DaMacFunkin - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 20:34)Martijn Wrote:

Converting to PCM output won't give you proper Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so it makes a lot of difference.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 21:27)SofaKng Wrote: Do you guys know if the Shield TV supports IP control?
Not yet possible. There was a discussion on this topic: TCP/IP Control