Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - fritsch - 2015-12-11

(2015-12-11, 01:21)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 20:55)dropzone7 Wrote: As for HD audio, I am willing to wait until that happens because I still feel like the Shield is a powerful piece of hardware. I did not buy it for gaming however. I bought it for Kodi and yes, it is my own dam fault for not knowing how Kodi operates in Android. I love Kodi on my Chromebox running Openelec and I was just so used to all of those features that I assumed with the Shield being a superior piece of hardware that it would be at least equal or better in running Kodi. I know now that this an Android limitation. I appreciate the Kodi community and I will be patient and see how it pans out on the Shield.

And if people would just read the wiki for the Shield they would see what the limitations are.

As well, it's not a Android limitation with the SATV since it is capable of HD audio pass-through, it's a limitation of Kodi at this point. This is something new for Android and it takes time to get these things working in apps, but it is in the pipeline and will be available in future versions of Kodi.

In fact Android is the only OS to my knowledge that wants non IEC encapsulated passthrough packages. And it only supports that since their very latest OS version ... that's the reason we did only implement it two weeks ago ... but still needs major adjustments in kodi / Audiotrack. Btw. those "non IEC" packages will cause major pain in the future - as you cannot influence e.g. pause bursts to keep sync.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-12-11

(2015-12-11, 14:09)fritsch Wrote: Btw. those "non IEC" packages will cause major pain in the future - as you cannot influence e.g. pause bursts to keep sync.

Well, it's an architectural incompatibility with Kodi. The android sink can be paused, it's just that we cannot tell it to, due to our quite limitative interpretation of a sink Wink

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gkf9 - 2015-12-11

I'm using a Harmony 600, I find it's as snappy as the NS TV remote.
Haven't touched the delay times yet.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DaMacFunkin - 2015-12-11

(2015-12-11, 08:21)querty1000 Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:34)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 20:34)Martijn Wrote: Oh boehoe. Perhaps some initial investigation had already told you all this.
FYI mine is doing perfect 4k@60 hz and you can just do PCM for hd audio as it makes no difference.

Converting to PCM output won't give you proper Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so it makes a lot of difference.

The PCM option is only for DTS-HD, not True HD and others.

Converting to pcm doesn't give you Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
Still stands...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-12-11

(2015-12-11, 12:17)querty1000 Wrote: [Thanx, nice to know, but anyway - we are all waiting for the first 17-"k*****" alphas.

Yes, but until then you are stuck with what you're stuck with and something is better than nothing.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - PunchMe - 2015-12-11

Hi all,

just bought a yamaha rx-v479 receiver.
I used to have my shield directly plugged into my optoma projector and all was fine. When I played a movie my proj switched to 24Hz and video played smoothly.
Now that I have the shield plugged in the amp, my proj stays in 60Hz and I get judder.
I haven't changed any kodi options in the meantime(adjust refresh and sync to display are on).
Any idea what's going on ?
Thx

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - max90 - 2015-12-11

(2015-12-11, 18:05)PunchMe Wrote: Hi all,

just bought a yamaha rx-v479 receiver.
I used to have my shield directly plugged into my optoma projector and all was fine. When I played a movie my proj switched to 24Hz and video played smoothly.
Now that I have the shield plugged in the amp, my proj stays in 60Hz and I get judder.
I haven't changed any kodi options in the meantime(adjust refresh and sync to display are on).
Any idea what's going on ?
Thx
Try turning off any video processing the yamaha might be doing.

Tried to do that, read the manual and all but didn't find anything.
What's weird is that if I force 24Hz in the android tv hdmi options, my proj switches to 24Hz just fine.

(2015-12-11, 18:23)PunchMe Wrote: Tried to do that, read the manual and all but didn't find anything.
What's weird is that if I force 24Hz in the android tv hdmi options, my proj switches to 24Hz just fine.

Have you rebooted the SATV?

Multiple times yes. Thanks for your help.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Nellgrove - 2015-12-11

I've not been able to get auto frame rate switching working or any atmos audio working, while others have reported it works fine. There are few settings on the shield so I'm assuming this is some form of incompatibility with the kit that is connected.

I've tried atmos .mkv files on serenity and the archos player (with codec pack) and either get a blank screen or massive stuttering. The files play fine as soon as I switch to a non atmos audio track. This would do me fine in the interim until Kodi supports if I could get it working like others have.

Kodi doesn't even appear to attempt to auto frame rate change for me (even with the latest nightly). Tvhz only shows force 60hz as an option even after rebooting multiple times.

This would be less frustrating if others hadn't already confirmed both auto switching and atmos work for them.

I'm connecting to a 1080p Panasonic projector through a pioneer VSX930 receiver

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-12-11

Nobody "confirmed" Atmos, afaik (wonder how they could).

Think they are talking about other players.

You have to use a player that is known to work with HD audio pass-through, either the native "Video Player" or (and someone else said this works) MX Player. That's the only 2 that anyone has said that Atmos pass-through works.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Pitbull_Raven - 2015-12-12

Hey all! After ordering one a few weeks back, yesterday when I arrived home I finally got to set up and play around with KODI on my new Shield TV. I love it, but have one gripe: the context menu with the Remote (not the controller). I know that I can long press to bring up the context menu, but each time I do, as soon as I release the select button on the Remote, it just performs the already highlighted action. I can't move up or down on the selection menu. Am I doing it wrong? Workarounds?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ned Scott - 2015-12-12

(2015-12-12, 09:59)Pitbull_Raven Wrote: Hey all! After ordering one a few weeks back, yesterday when I arrived home I finally got to set up and play around with KODI on my new Shield TV. I love it, but have one gripe: the context menu with the Remote (not the controller). I know that I can long press to bring up the context menu, but each time I do, as soon as I release the select button on the Remote, it just performs the already highlighted action. I can't move up or down on the selection menu. Am I doing it wrong? Workarounds?

That doesn't sound right. Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens?