Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ScottAllyn01 - 2015-12-16

I just tested the 255 Mbps Jellyfish file in Kodi 16.0b3 on the Shield and it didn't even break a sweat. This thing is a little champ!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-12-16

That's awesome... btw, where did you find that 255 Mbps Jellyfish file? Would love to add it here.

Edit: Never mind... I see the Jellyfish site has been updated.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - falc410 - 2015-12-16

I just ordered a 4K TV and want to replace my current HTPC with a Shield.
So I have two questions I couldn't 100% clarify while reading through this thread:

1. Is DTS-HD Passthrough possible now? I think this came with some update from NVIDIA
2. I read on a German Page that 1080p Content gets scaled to 4K by the Shield as it always sends a 4K signal to the TV. Since the Shield apparently has a bad upscaler 1080p content (and below) looks blurry and very bad - can anyone confirm this?

1. Yes, but not via Kodi yet ... expected early next year w/Kodi 17
2. Not blurry/bad ... UI, upscaled OTA broadcasts, etc. all look pretty damn nice on my 65" 4K

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - falc410 - 2015-12-16

Ah so it's a Kodi issue. Well that sounds promising then.

I'm wondering though why so many people complained on Amazon.de however about the 1080p issues.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DasMarx - 2015-12-16

(2015-12-16, 14:38)falc410 Wrote: I just ordered a 4K TV and want to replace my current HTPC with a Shield.
So I have two questions I couldn't 100% clarify while reading through this thread:

1. Is DTS-HD Passthrough possible now? I think this came with some update from NVIDIA
2. I read on a German Page that 1080p Content gets scaled to 4K by the Shield as it always sends a 4K signal to the TV. Since the Shield apparently has a bad upscaler 1080p content (and below) looks blurry and very bad - can anyone confirm this?

For 2. I tested this with 15.2 and not yet on 16 and the current betas so this might have changed with the newest builds.

My TV (78HU8500) has a much better upscaler when receiving Full-HD. If i set the Shield to native 4k output, material in Full-HD looks quite blurry and not as sharp as if the TV does the upscale. Please correct me here, if this has been changed in the meantime.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ScottAllyn01 - 2015-12-16

(2015-12-16, 14:13)hdmkv Wrote: That's awesome... btw, where did you find that 255 Mbps Jellyfish file? Would love to add it here.

I whipped up a few new large ones last night and added them to the Jellyfish site ( http://jell.yfish.us/ ). They're just 1080p and h.264 and still scaled up from that original 34 Mbps .ts file... but they're fun to play around with.

I haven't messed around much with h.265 and 4K yet but probably will soon; the Jellyfish Files are getting a bit dated. Anyone have any recommendations for h.265 encoders along with a tool that can analyze the bitrate to show the min, avg, and max values and/or a bitrate graph (preferably free or at least non-adobe-priced).

Thanks... 4K Blu-rays are expected to have bitrates up to 128Mbps, so if any player can handle 255Mbps, that's more than enough headroom.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-12-16

(2015-12-16, 14:38)falc410 Wrote: I just ordered a 4K TV and want to replace my current HTPC with a Shield.

DTS-HD Passthrough works on internal Players but not KODI yet. There is a workaround to channel DTS-HD and True-HD via LPCM.
Quote:2. I read on a German Page that 1080p Content gets scaled to 4K by the Shield as it always sends a 4K signal to the TV. Since the Shield apparently has a bad upscaler 1080p content (and below) looks blurry and very bad - can anyone confirm this?
Mine is also blurry but on every resolution. It may depend on the HDMI-In implemetation of the TV manufacturer. I have to compare a RPi2, an Atom-Box with Radeon GFX and the nVidia shield. KODI GUI and 1080p movies are more sharper and crisper on the other boxes. The nvidia GUI itself looks also blurry on 4k/60.
You can take a look here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/895245/shield-android-tv/picture-quality-and-color-space-evaluation/

Hmm, mine's not blurry... I'm actually finding Shield's 1080i/p upscaled content to 4K almost 4K-like (especially 1080i OTA broadcasts, via HDHomeRun). Maybe a little soft, smooth vs. real 4K obviously being sharper, more detailed. Only noticeable when walking up close to the TV, like 5ft away. My TV is a Vizio D65u-D2, not even their more pricey M-series.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ogreen - 2015-12-17

DTS HD passthrough works well on the shield, it's just a problem with kodi, if you want quickly DTS HD passthrough, you can use archos player, it's working well Wink

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - JakeF - 2015-12-17

(2015-12-17, 14:03)Ogreen Wrote:

DTS HD passthrough works well on the shield, it's just a problem with kodi, if you want quickly DTS HD passthrough, you can use archos player, it's working well Wink

I have tested Archos on the Shield, and apart from having no chapter support or skip forward functionality and a defect fast forward function, it seems to work fine with HD sound. :-)
Oh, and some high bitrate files I tested didn't play back at full speed, but on slow motion, even with hardware (HW or HW+) playback enabled in the UI. I suspect it might have trouble with some files in HW, and defaults playback to SW, making it run slowly.

A sollution could be to disable passthrough, set 7.1 channels in Kodi, and let it send the sound as 8 channel PCM to your receiver. (works only with HDMI).

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DaMacFunkin - 2015-12-17

It still isn't a solution for Atmos or DTS:X, once you hear a good Atmos track you really couldn't listen to it as straight 5.1 or 7.1.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Gabre - 2015-12-17

Hi,

so this is a turn off, I was just planing to get one today, but if its not doing passthrough os DTD HD Master Audio, then its pointless. And not using Kodi on this is pointless.

can it even do DTS HD MA at all, and through what then?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pmlfrew - 2015-12-17

Just got a new Denon AVR-X2200W receiver and when I enable pass through in Kodi (Shield TV) all I get is a hissing sound. Video works fine just no sound. If I disable pass through I get sound and the amp detects multi channel audio. This is for all videos, stereo, DD, DTS etc. All worked fine with my previous amp Pioneer VSX-923. Is it a Kodi issue or a Denon one?