Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-12-17

(2015-12-17, 19:32)pmlfrew Wrote: Just got a new Denon AVR-X2200W receiver and when I enable pass through in Kodi (Shield TV) all I get is a hissing sound. Video works fine just no sound. If I disable pass through I get sound and the amp detects multi channel audio. This is for all videos, stereo, DD, DTS etc. All worked fine with my previous amp Pioneer VSX-923. Is it a Kodi issue or a Denon one?

its an android issue. i have the same with an AVR-X3200W. The 2014 Modells AVR-X(n)100W are working fine so i assume it has something to do with the HDCP2.2 protection.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - JakeF - 2015-12-17

It is a Kodi Android TV version only issue, the receiver is not at fault. It is a work-in-progress, hopefully implemented in v17.

See this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158&pid=2189401#pid2189401

DTS-HD and TrueHD works with Archos, but Archos is bugged in many other ways. Kodi works great on windows, but no mini-pc's can offer HDMI 2.0 like the Shield at this time. IMO Best HTPC small client box would be a Windows or OpenELEC Intel NUC6i3, the new Skylake based mini-pc's, but they cost around 300€ + SSD and RAM, and they don't have HDMI 2.0, but minidp 1.2. Then you would need this too: http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-12-17

(2015-12-17, 19:52)JakeF Wrote: It is a Kodi Android TV version only issue, the receiver is not at fault. It is a work-in-progress, hopefully implemented in v17.

See this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158&pid=2189401#pid2189401

DTS-HD and TrueHD works with Archos, but Archos is bugged in many other ways. Kodi works great on windows, but no mini-pc's can offer HDMI 2.0 like the Shield at this time. IMO Best HTPC small client box would be a Windows or OpenELEC Intel NUC6i3, the new Skylake based mini-pc's, but they cost around 300€ + SSD and RAM, and they don't have HDMI 2.0, but minidp 1.2. Then you would need this too: http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Does this Box Full Frame 3D? At now there seems no perfect KODI Box on earth. Some misses 3D, others 4k60.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - abpostelnicu - 2015-12-17

guys how can i prevent the console from sleeping?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-12-18

(2015-12-17, 22:20)querty1000 Wrote: Does this Box Full Frame 3D? At now there seems no perfect KODI Box on earth. Some misses 3D, others 4k60.
Nope to full 3D, and true there's no single do-it-all-box (yet).

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - datranquil - 2015-12-18

(2015-12-17, 22:49)abpostelnicu Wrote: guys how can i prevent the console from sleeping?

What do you mean? If I don't turn it into sleep mode (touching the soft button or use the ir remot) my Shields does not go into sleepmode automatically.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - abpostelnicu - 2015-12-18

Hello guys,

So disregard my last pot, the shield when in it's sleep it keeps the cec connection alive, witch is great. As a previous user opf rpi2 and pi 1 with openelec i have some pros and cons but i think that the cons can definetly be solved. First i want to mention that my setup is:
- Receiver Denon AV-1713 with 2.0 floor standing Heco Price speakers
- TV Panasonic 42GT30 Plasma

PROS:
1. image quality - i don't think it's placebo but image quality is miles better and also the motion it seems to be blurry less.
2. everything is very snappy and the lag that was present on rpis is gone.
3. hdmi-cec works everywhere on the system, so i basically can control the shield only from my remote

CONS:
3. HDMI-CEC is not working as it used two on rpis the only thing that is no longer working is the option key from the remote, it works on other applications such in youtube but in kodi it doesn't work. on rpis when i was pressing option key let's say in the movie list a contextual menu was popping from where i was able to select different action on the current selected title, such as mark as watched, delete from library etc.

Taking all of these into account i think thet shield is the best investment for a htpc, dispite that it doesn't support hd bitstream in kodi, but as i've read though this forum it will be added in the future releases. Regarding my problem what can i do to make cec work with option key, how do i program it. I think that there must be a config file for kodi where the key codes are mapped with actions.

Regards,
Andi

(2015-12-18, 09:51)datranquil Wrote:
(2015-12-17, 22:49)abpostelnicu Wrote: guys how can i prevent the console from sleeping?

What do you mean? If I don't turn it into sleep mode (touching the soft button or use the ir remot) my Shields does not go into sleepmode automatically.

Well after a while of inactivity the led stops, and i figured that it when into sleep, but regardless of this it continues to work with my remote control from the tv when i select the input source designated to shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - JakeF - 2015-12-18

(2015-12-18, 10:00)abpostelnicu Wrote: Hello guys,

So disregard my last pot, the shield when in it's sleep it keeps the cec connection alive, witch is great. As a previous user opf rpi2 and pi 1 with openelec i have some pros and cons but i think that the cons can definetly be solved. First i want to mention that my setup is:

PROS:
1. image quality - i don't think it's placebo but image quality is miles better and also the motion it seems to be blurry less.
3. hdmi-cec works everywhere on the system, so i basically can control the shield only from my remote

CONS:
3. HDMI-CEC is not working as it used two on rpis the only thing that is no longer working is the option key from the remote, it works on other applications such in youtube but in kodi it doesn't work. on rpis when i was pressing option key let's say in the movie list a contextual menu was popping from where i was able to select different action on the current selected title, such as mark as watched, delete from library etc.

Taking all of these into account i think thet shield is the best investment for a htpc, dispite that it doesn't support hd bitstream in kodi, but as i've read though this forum it will be added in the future releases. Regarding my problem what can i do to make cec work with option key, how do i program it. I think that there must be a config file for kodi where the key codes are mapped with actions.

Regards,
Andi

I agree. The Shield is the best bang for the buck buy ATM. At 167€ incl. VAT in Denmark with the remote, it's a good deal. I got three for the house at black friday.

The infrared support in Shield also allows for me to keymap buttons in the kodi "Keymapper" add-on, so my Sony TV remote can perform common functions like library update, film info, the context menu and codec info. Longpress on the Shield remote should be implemented soon too, I read somewhere, if you would rather use that.

Also, Four player BombSquad is just too awesome! Big Grin

(2015-12-18, 10:46)JakeF Wrote:
(2015-12-18, 10:00)abpostelnicu Wrote: Hello guys,

PROS:

CONS:

Regards,
Andi

I agree. The Shield is the best bang for the buck buy ATM. At 167€ incl. VAT in Denmark with the remote, it's a good deal. I got three for the house at black friday.

The infrared support in Shield also allows for me to keymap buttons in the kodi "Keymapper" add-on, so my Sony TV remote can perform common functions like library update, film info, the context menu and codec info. Longpress on the Shield remote should be implemented soon too, I read somewhere, if you would rather use that.

Also, Four player BombSquad is just too awesome! Big Grin

Ok to see if i got this right:

1. you disabled cec support from kodi
2. you maped your ir remote in order to send message to shield that redirects it to kodi?

THX

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - JakeF - 2015-12-18

I did not disable CEC support. I installed the add-on "Keymap Editor" from the Programs menu in Kodi. I then found the functions I needed mapped, like the context menu in the global section, and mapped them to the coloured buttons on my Sony TV remote. The have no other function when using Kodi and are available for use. For Film information I mapped the "i+" key on my Sony remote as that makes sense.

great thanks i will give it a try

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Moodyone - 2015-12-18

My Samsung TV remote works very well via CEC too, we use it to navigate Kodi, switch the TV and Shield on and off with one press of the power button, or so I thought. Last night my wife did the one button shut down, the TV shut down, the LED's on the shield turned off as normal and looked like it was asleep but Kodi kept playing, which also prevented my amp from going to standby. She ended up pulling the plug from the mains.

I had a play this morning and sure enough the Kodi app keeps running, even though the Shield is supposedly in standby. Shouldn't Kodi shut down as other apps, like BBC iPlayer and YouTube do?

I hadn't previously noticed this myself, I know it's easy to close Kodi first, as I normally do but this needs to be family friendly.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - falc410 - 2015-12-18

I'm thinking about getting a SHIELD to replace my HTPC (which is not capable of 4K output). I have just some questions about the SHIELD.

1. You are already discussing problems with Standby. Can the SHIELD be turned off? I know that the Amazon Fire TV from my father does not have a power switch. The problem is, my NAS only goes into standby if Kodi's IP is not reachable anymore. And also Kodi sends a Wake-on-LAN Magic Packet to the NAS. Is this both possible with the Shield as well? Can I turn it off and also install WoL Addon?
2. I already googled around and apparently I can use the Harmony Remote (which some smaller issues) to control the Shield. If it is possible to turn it off, can the Harmony also turn it back on?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - freebits - 2015-12-18

(2015-10-02, 05:13)wesk05 Wrote: Edit: This doesn't seem to affect Kodi playback.

This is bad... I wouldn't recommend anyone who values picture quality to update to OTA 2.0. Grayscale and colors are all messed up in OTA 2.0. As can be seen from the chart below, there are serious errors in OTA 2.0
The chart shows the RGB bit values of reference test patterns (played on native Android Video Player). It is read directly from the HDMI output of SATV using the color checker function of DVDO AVLab TPG 4K UHD pattern generator.

Hi wesk,

Tested Shield TV firmware 2.1 in 2160p RGB mode with DVDO TPG and TED's disc finding strange RGB values i.e. White 256 186 235 while expecting 235 235 235.

Did you have the similar results? I know 1080p RGB mode shows the very low Delta E values and it looked good generally. Only 2160p shows strange RGB values.

Thanks.