Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sjchmura - 2015-12-27

Anyone know a Path to usb drive on kodi? I want to use XBMC backup add on but realize it wants a hard coded path.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Temujin - 2015-12-27

For streaming bluray mkv via usb and over my network or some Netflix; would this box be better than say, the Asus VivoPC running Windows?
That little Asus box has a 500gb hard drive in it running the Celeron 2957u, vs the Nvidia shield model with the 16gb ssd.
Seems like the Shield has better gpu capabilities, but I don't have any experience with the Android TV os.
I suspect both might be a bit overkill, but I don't want to do a lot of hacking or sideloading like with some of the chromeboxes, and other Android options out there.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - danjames92 - 2015-12-28

(2015-12-27, 22:39)Temujin Wrote: For streaming bluray mkv via usb and over my network or some Netflix; would this box be better than say, the Asus VivoPC running Windows?
That little Asus box has a 500gb hard drive in it running the Celeron 2957u, vs the Nvidia shield model with the 16gb ssd.
Seems like the Shield has better gpu capabilities, but I don't have any experience with the Android TV os.
I suspect both might be a bit overkill, but I don't want to do a lot of hacking or sideloading like with some of the chromeboxes, and other Android options out there.

Would work fine for Netflix and Kodi. I stream bluray rips using PleXBMC no problem. With the latest experimental build it supports passthrough of DTS-HD MA, DTS, DD, TrueHD but it's still a WIP.

If you want something simple, it's definitely the easiest to set up OOTB.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-12-28

Ok Shield fans, I'm Dynamically updating the Pick the Right Kodi Box Sticky thread and need some honest answers to these questions:

- What happens to any Sideloaded Android Lollipop Apps when:
- a Firmware update occurs ?
- an OS Update occurs ?

Are these Sideloaded Apps lost and have to be reloaded ?

Next question:

- Can the Android TV OS launcher be customised in any way and can an entirely new launcher be installed without Rooting the device ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-12-28

@wrxtasy,

-Nothing happens to sideloaded apps. Firmware updates don't affect sideloaded apps.
--NOTE: Marshmallow update may require reinstalling apps moved to the SD Card, but this would affect all apps not just sideloaded apps. Unfortunately it's unknown how the migration will occur if you are treating the SD Card as internal storage.

Sideloaded apps due, however, need to be manually updated.

-No, you don't have to root to use a different launcher. HaLauncher can be installed and is currently what some people use as an alternate to Leanback Launcher. However, with Marshmallow you probably won't be able to use Hal as Home since the developer hasn't figured a way to make it work with Android 6.0.

There is also TVLauncher which is sort of a WIP. I don't know how well it works, or whether Android 6.0 breaks it in any way.

As for customizing LL, there are only minor things you can do. You can adjust the order in which the apps appear in their rows or you can set it to order them by the most recent app used, but that is about it.

Also, currently the SATV is offered WITH the remote, so until the time that deal expires it can be noted that it is also "remote control included". Though, if you order it from some place other than Nvidia (e.g. Amazon) you do have to make sure you pick the version with the remote.

Ok Thanks T, Sticky thread updated with correct sideloading and updating info. Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-12-28

(2015-12-28, 08:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Ok Thanks T, Sticky thread updated with correct sideloading and updating info. Smile

No problem. Wink

Also, you should note that there are actually more Android TV compatible apps then those that show up on that List.

There are many apps that will show up in the Play Store (from a browser) that are compatible, but don't show up in the Android TV Play Store app or on that list. For instance, Twitch is compatible, but is not listed on that list. You can't use that list as the end all be all of the number of apps available, as a matter of fact, that list is much more limited than even the number of apps that show up in the Play Store app (not even counting games).

This is the fault of Google since they still haven't sorted out Android TV compatible apps and how they show up in the store.

Needless to say though, the number of available Android TV compatible apps is greater that list would leave one to believe there are and it should not not be used. The biggest problem is that if an app doesn't show up in the devices Play Store you need to check via a browser to see if it actually is compatible.

What a dogs breakfast for a Newbie sitting on the couch trying to install stuff !
Google need to get their shit together methinks.

I think I'm just going to put a Hyperlink to your post here and let user work it out for themselves.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Moodyone - 2015-12-28

(2015-12-28, 09:23)wrxtasy Wrote: What a dogs breakfast for a Newbie sitting on the couch trying to install stuff !
Google need to get their shit together methinks.

I think I'm just going to put a Hyperlink to your post here and let user work it out for themselves.

I thought most people knew, that it is not necessary to side load apps that do not appear in the Android TV store, but I haven't seen it written.

I have installed apps on my Shield from my PC by logging into my regular Google Play account using the Chrome bowser. I select an app to install and select my Shield from the drop down device list box instead of my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 and the app miraculously installs over wi-fi or wires, directly to the Shield. They appear in Settings>Apps>Downloaded Apps. I've tried a few but they are designed for touch screen operation, some might be ok with a mouse or touchpad. A list of useful, Shield friendly apps might be helpful.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-12-28

? Kodi just shows up fine on all my devices in Play Store.
Also Have Android M and nothing happened to sideloaded apps.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - dropzone7 - 2015-12-28

Well, the HD audio through Kodi was nice but the vs. 16 beta seems to be breaking everything else for me so I had to uninstall and go back to 15.2. I was getting really bad judder and tearing on files streamed from addons. I tried many different settings and it was still there. I think we need to be able to adjust resolution and refresh rates within Kodi before I can use the Shield fully. Back to my OpenElec Chromebox for now. In the meantime, having fun with War Thunder on the Shield, really nice for a free game.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-12-28

(2015-12-28, 19:26)dropzone7 Wrote: Well, the HD audio through Kodi was nice but the vs. 16 beta seems to be breaking everything else for me so I had to uninstall and go back to 15.2. I was getting really bad judder and tearing on files streamed from addons. I tried many different settings and it was still there. I think we need to be able to adjust resolution and refresh rates within Kodi before I can use the Shield fully. Back to my OpenElec Chromebox for now. In the meantime, having fun with War Thunder on the Shield, really nice for a free game.

I have never ever seen this and i'm using it since before it was released.

(2015-12-28, 19:27)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-12-28, 19:26)dropzone7 Wrote: Well, the HD audio through Kodi was nice but the vs. 16 beta seems to be breaking everything else for me so I had to uninstall and go back to 15.2. I was getting really bad judder and tearing on files streamed from addons. I tried many different settings and it was still there. I think we need to be able to adjust resolution and refresh rates within Kodi before I can use the Shield fully. Back to my OpenElec Chromebox for now. In the meantime, having fun with War Thunder on the Shield, really nice for a free game.

I have never ever seen this and i'm using it since before it was released.

Yeah, it made everything pretty much impossible to watch. Very twitchy. Not sure if it is the Shield not changing refresh rate when it should or the lack of being able to change anything to do with resolution and refresh in Kodi.

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - abpostelnicu - 2015-12-28

The beta works fine for me. Actually is way better than 15.2

(2015-12-28, 20:19)abpostelnicu Wrote: The beta works fine for me. Actually is way better than 15.2

What are your settings for video playback if you don't mind me asking?