Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-01-02

(2016-01-02, 13:40)Bjur Wrote: Is anyone using Harmony remotes with the NVIDIA Shield?
I would like map buttons like menu and channel +- but I can't get them assigned to anything usable even in Harmony Software.

Yes, if you search the term "Harmony" in this thread, you will see we have posted detailed information several times already.
In short, after you read previous posts, get a Flirc. My earlier post mentions my setup to get all working, I just got Flircs, far superior to what I had.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - bazzz3 - 2016-01-02

(2016-01-02, 14:01)papdoux Wrote: Hi,

happy new year.

is there a way to change the subtitle offset quickly without having to go via OSD?
I am mean with the press of a button on the controller + stick/d-pad or on the remote.

You can try add it in the options blade to the left .Have a look HERE .Other than that hire a little monkey to
do it for you Wink

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sjchmura - 2016-01-03

Harmony

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Bjur - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-02, 14:19)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-01-02, 13:40)Bjur Wrote: Is anyone using Harmony remotes with the NVIDIA Shield?
I would like map buttons like menu and channel +- but I can't get them assigned to anything usable even in Harmony Software.

Yes, if you search the term "Harmony" in this thread, you will see we have posted detailed information several times already.
In short, after you read previous posts, get a Flirc. My earlier post mentions my setup to get all working, I just got Flircs, far superior to what I had.
Thanks i will look into that though I thought a harmony remote was sufficient. I have just started playing with the shield so have 3 questions:

1. Why is it each time I enter my library it reloads my posters etc. It's only on the shield not on my other boxes?
2. Anyone knows how to enable rgb 4:4:4 and black levels 0-255. I get a very gray and colorless picture compared to my other kodi clients. My Samsung TV is HDMI low set.
3. How it is with live TV and advanced de interlacing?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - danjames92 - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-03, 16:05)Bjur Wrote:

Thanks i will look into that though I thought a harmony remote was sufficient. I have just started playing with the shield so have 3 questions:

1. Why is it each time I enter my library it reloads my posters etc. It's only on the shield not on my other boxes?
2. Anyone knows how to enable rgb 4:4:4 and black levels 0-255. I get a very gray and colorless picture compared to my other kodi clients. My Samsung TV is HDMI low set.

It's highly unlikely your TV actually supports FULL RGB. List the model number and we can find out.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-03, 16:29)danjames92 Wrote: It's highly unlikely your TV actually supports FULL RGB. List the model number and we can find out.

It's not THAT unlikely these days.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mrhyde1969 - 2016-01-03

I am unable to add video folders from my Windows network via smb. When I enter my network password it just keeps asking for it again, as if I have entered it incorrectly although I know that it's correct t. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to add folders via smb thanks

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - danjames92 - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-03, 17:23)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 16:29)danjames92 Wrote: It's highly unlikely your TV actually supports FULL RGB. List the model number and we can find out.

It's not THAT unlikely these days.

It's irregular then unless we are talking monitors. Most only have full rgb so they can be calibrated in the factory they are made.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Bjur - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-03, 16:29)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-03, 16:05)Bjur Wrote:
(2016-01-02, 14:19)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Yes, if you search the term "Harmony" in this thread, you will see we have posted detailed information several times already.

It's highly unlikely your TV actually supports FULL RGB. List the model number and we can find out.
I can only compare it to my other non shield machines and both color and especially black is significantly better on the others which is rgb 4:4:4. One TV is ps64d8005 and one is UE58H5205XXE. Any news from nvidia on this and any other answers to the questionsSmile?

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sjchmura - 2016-01-03

So I did search Smile

With harmony smart hub how do we pair it to use new Bluetooth profiles in kodi? I am assuming once paired you can use the Microsoft kodi profile to enable BT control

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pedromvu - 2016-01-03

(2016-01-03, 16:05)Bjur Wrote: 2. Anyone knows how to enable rgb 4:4:4 and black levels 0-255. I get a very gray and colorless picture compared to my other kodi clients. My Samsung TV is HDMI low set.

There is currently no way, if your TV is currently calibrated for a different color space, unfortunately the only way to fix it if everything is connected to the same input with a receiver, is to either re-calibrate until it looks good or change the TV hdmi mode, in any case you would need to change the color space of the other devices in order for them to look like the Shield TV once it is looking good.

As for the thing about if it is common or not, I don't think it is that unusual, my last TV and current projector had it, you can easily test with those color patterns with bars that have 3 different black small black bars with one being "blacker than black", I believe it can be accessed on most Sony blu-ray discs by tapping 7669 ENTER on the menu.

It is a shame every brand names these things whatever they want, but the Shield TV outputs in RGB limited (RGB video) color space(at least in 1080p) just like Amazon Fire TV products, the other Full RGB can sometimes be called RGB PC too.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2016-01-03

Isn't there a known issue with the nVidia Shield and colour space at the moment? It may not just be a Limited vs Full range output issue - there may be other stuff involved.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Karnis - 2016-01-03

Yep, it still suffers from color banding.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-01-04

Colour space is a known issue, see the thread on the Nvidia forums about it - https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/895245/shield-android-tv/picture-quality-and-color-space-evaluation/

Full colour range is not available on the Shield as confirmed here - https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/837615/shield-android-tv/dark-picture-on-games-and-movies-/post/4549985/#4549985
It still has not come in one of the updates. I had a feeling it was also Android related and fixed with Marshmallow, but I can’t find that post.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-01-04

(2016-01-03, 19:51)sjchmura Wrote:

So I did search Smile

With harmony smart hub how do we pair it to use new Bluetooth profiles in kodi? I am assuming once paired you can use the Microsoft kodi profile to enable BT control

There are two large Shield threads, more Harmony posts in the other one including this post by Tin Warble with a smart hub setup - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158&pid=2052066&highlight=harmony#pid2052066

In fact there seem to be more Harmony posts in that one than this - http://forum.kodi.tv/search.php?action=results&sid=25f962e96e2f55487bd15969d7a83364