Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - slateef - 2016-02-03

(2016-02-03, 09:35)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 05:04)slateef Wrote: 1) Can Kodi not play AVC-1 encoded files? Quite a few of my blu rays (from my collection) are ripped in this format. When I try to play them, they just display a light purple screen. This was not the case with XBMC on my home PC.
about wich KODI we are talking about? Latest nightlys or old outdated google store stuff?
Quote:2) I've tried and tried but I cannot get my projector to recognize any 3D files, played either from video add-ons, from my HD, or from Youtube. The files I'm trying to play from my HD are downloads (typically around 1.5 GB) of mostly side-by-side content and they're named using the proper file naming (name.3D.SBS.mkv). It seems the projector doesn't recognize them as being in 3D. I can play blu rays directly from my blu ray player and the projector recognizes them immediately and goes into 3D mode. The projector is the JVC RS400. Anyone know what's going on?
You should in meantime not proper mark the 3D files as 3D since the shield have some issues about that. If KODI thinks the files are plain 2D files, you can decode the both halfs of the picture by setting the TV or projector by hand.

I can not force my projector to pick up the signal as 3D. If I play any of these properly named files, or an other video files, my projector doesn't recognize that its 3D. Again, 3D plays fine through my Sony blu ray player. Kodi will even recognize the files as stereoscopic side by side but the 3D mode on my projector will not recognize it as a 3D file.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - fletch101e - 2016-02-03

I am new to kodi (~3 weeks) and I am experimenting with different hardware for Kodi. I picked up a shield last night and wondering if anyone has any good remote replacement recommendations?

My main use is pvr usage (serverwmc) so looking along those lines. Also is there a way that Kodi can handle more than one keymap..ie different ones for different remotes?

Thanks!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2016-02-03

(2016-02-03, 18:27)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 09:35)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 05:04)slateef Wrote: 1) Can Kodi not play AVC-1 encoded files? Quite a few of my blu rays (from my collection) are ripped in this format. When I try to play them, they just display a light purple screen. This was not the case with XBMC on my home PC.
about wich KODI we are talking about? Latest nightlys or old outdated google store stuff?
Quote:2) I've tried and tried but I cannot get my projector to recognize any 3D files, played either from video add-ons, from my HD, or from Youtube. The files I'm trying to play from my HD are downloads (typically around 1.5 GB) of mostly side-by-side content and they're named using the proper file naming (name.3D.SBS.mkv). It seems the projector doesn't recognize them as being in 3D. I can play blu rays directly from my blu ray player and the projector recognizes them immediately and goes into 3D mode. The projector is the JVC RS400. Anyone know what's going on?
You should in meantime not proper mark the 3D files as 3D since the shield have some issues about that. If KODI thinks the files are plain 2D files, you can decode the both halfs of the picture by setting the TV or projector by hand.

I'm using the original kodi that I downloaded to the box from the android store. I'm assuming that's what you mean that it's outdated. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I install a better/updated version? A guide would be much appreciated. Also, can any of the updated versions play this type of file?

Thanks!

If you wan't KODI 16, wich is almost ready and in RC2 stage, you should follow this thread:
252852 (thread)
but the sound is implemented a non-official way.

If you wan't an official KODI with passthrough sound you have to use the Krypton Early Acces (or newer if avail) from:
http://kodi.tv/download/

The Krypton nightly will in the next night implement proper Android sound like the KODI 16 build.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - slateef - 2016-02-03

(2016-02-03, 20:59)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 18:27)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 09:35)querty1000 Wrote: about wich KODI we are talking about? Latest nightlys or old outdated google store stuff?

I'm using the original kodi that I downloaded to the box from the android store. I'm assuming that's what you mean that it's outdated. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I install a better/updated version? A guide would be much appreciated. Also, can any of the updated versions play this type of file?

Thanks!

If you wan't KODI 16, wich is almost ready and in RC2 stage, you should follow this thread:
252852 (thread)

If you wan't an official KODI with passthrough sound you have to use the Krypton Early Acces (or newer if avail) from:

The Krypton nightly will in the next night implement proper Android sound like the KODI 16 build.

Will either of those be able to play AVC-1 files?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - falc410 - 2016-02-03

(2016-02-03, 18:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: The shield is widely regarded as the best Android player and it is being dedicatedly supported from various corners. I dont think it will take very long for v 17 to come out. And besides Kodi, the impressive hardware supports 4K Netflix which may not be a feature on your list but still should be enough from questioning its existence.

By the way, how is it that ALL SMART TVs come with Android TV? I am curious to know. Can you please let me know which Samsung model has built in Android TV?

That's why I bought in the first place, but I don't understand why it is regarded as "the best Kodi player" currently. I can picture it in like 6 months I guess, but right now? Not really - since there is nearly no 4K content besides Streaming.

You are right, not ALL TVs come with Android TV. I don't know about Samsung (I think they use Tizen or something like this, similar to what they use on their smartwatches). I know that Sony and Philips use Android and there should be a few more brands. My TV comes with a Netflix button right on the remote and also Android TV - same as the Shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2016-02-03

(2016-02-03, 21:03)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 20:59)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 18:27)slateef Wrote: I'm using the original kodi that I downloaded to the box from the android store. I'm assuming that's what you mean that it's outdated. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I install a better/updated version? A guide would be much appreciated. Also, can any of the updated versions play this type of file?

Thanks!

252852 (thread)

I have only installed KODI 17 Krypton, and this will play via SMB:
http://4ksamples.com/4k-uhd-fireworks-sample/
(Codec ID : avc1)
stutterfree

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - slateef - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-03, 21:47)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 21:03)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 20:59)querty1000 Wrote: If you wan't KODI 16, wich is almost ready and in RC2 stage, you should follow this thread:
252852 (thread)

stutterfree

Okay, great I'll try that!

When I install the newer version on top of current version, will I lose all of my repositories and addons and have to start fresh?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-04, 00:32)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 21:03)slateef Wrote: Will either of those be able to play AVC-1 files?

stutterfree

When I install the newer version on top of current version, will I lose all of my repositories and addons and have to start fresh?

No, you can straight install the new app but there is no way back. You should XBMC-Backup all before.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pjcanales - 2016-02-04

Hello I have the nvidia shield android tv and want to know which release candidate do I download. Is it the x86 or the arm version. My gut saying arm but just want to make sure.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TitoXx - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-04, 16:09)pjcanales Wrote: Hello I have the nvidia shield android tv and want to know which release candidate do I download. Is it the x86 or the arm version. My gut saying arm but just want to make sure.
Your gut in right Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-03, 21:03)slateef Wrote: Will either of those be able to play AVC-1 files?

stutterfree

16 plays VC1 files fine.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - joazito - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-01, 19:45)jsteinm1 Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 17:36)hdmkv Wrote: Android TV version of Aptoide available, an alternative apps source.

This looks awesome. Hopefully they have more basics. I am frustrated that I've had to side load Spotify and a browser up to this point (how does Google not have a good ATV browser available?!)

I've been using it for a few weeks and I find the offering quite lacking right now. BUT it has one major benefit: when in Chrome I click in a play store link, which the Play Store app itself refuses to install because our device is not supported, Aptoide can open this intent and install the APK.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2016-02-04

(2016-02-03, 21:07)falc410 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 18:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: The shield is widely regarded as the best Android player and it is being dedicatedly supported from various corners. I dont think it will take very long for v 17 to come out. And besides Kodi, the impressive hardware supports 4K Netflix which may not be a feature on your list but still should be enough from questioning its existence.

By the way, how is it that ALL SMART TVs come with Android TV? I am curious to know. Can you please let me know which Samsung model has built in Android TV?

That's why I bought in the first place, but I don't understand why it is regarded as "the best Kodi player" currently. I can picture it in like 6 months I guess, but right now? Not really - since there is nearly no 4K content besides Streaming.

You are right, not ALL TVs come with Android TV. I don't know about Samsung (I think they use Tizen or something like this, similar to what they use on their smartwatches). I know that Sony and Philips use Android and there should be a few more brands. My TV comes with a Netflix button right on the remote and also Android TV - same as the Shield.

I think the best kodi player title comes with a aveat about a few things which you already know about and the understanding some of the drawbacks would be resolved in the coming releases. Most people here including me want something that can provide a good kodi experience along with the ability to use other ap such as netflix, provide some future proofing, solid support, minimum set up pains, etc.

From that point of view, it is the best option available "to me" .. everybody's needs are different so you may not consider it the best player for you.

But it is also a bit unfair to completely rubbish it and declare it worthless. It is definitely the best android kodi player in the market.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - slateef - 2016-02-05

(2016-02-02, 02:22)hdmkv Wrote: Then, any media player is fine... if files are named properly, then they should trigger your 3D display to show in 3D mode.

(2016-02-04, 16:56)drhill Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 21:47)querty1000 Wrote: I have only installed KODI 17 Krypton, and this will play via SMB:
stutterfree

16 plays VC1 files fine.

Which version of 16 is best, all-around?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2016-02-05

(2016-02-05, 03:09)slateef Wrote:
(2016-02-02, 02:22)hdmkv Wrote: Then, any media player is fine... if files are named properly, then they should trigger your 3D display to show in 3D mode.

(2016-02-04, 16:56)drhill Wrote:
(2016-02-04, 00:32)slateef Wrote: Okay, great I'll try that!

16 plays VC1 files fine.

Which version of 16 is best, all-around?

Since "official" KODI 16 doesn't have proper passthrough for HD formats and sucks on some receivers even with DTS and AC3 -< Koyings version.
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/kodi-20160130-b2b09e8-adddroidPT-armeabi-v7a.apk
If you don't care about sound its no matter