Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-05-25

(2015-05-25, 06:24)ozkhan1 Wrote: I am sure that part will work fine as nvidia promised.

Famous last words.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - david.kennedy - 2015-05-25

Me too in regards waiting for a review, please add a link on this thread if the review eventually appears elsewhere please.

Cheers

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Skank - 2015-05-25

(2015-05-23, 22:21)Skank Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 22:00)Koying Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 21:55)ozkhan1 Wrote: Looks like Nvidia sent all team kodi members units to test. Smile
Nah. Just me as the lead droid dev and Martijn because he has the 4K hardware

Well, are you willing to test and launch 3d iso from within kodi? Or are you feeling no interest to too?

(2015-05-24, 15:32)hdmkv Wrote: I'm wondering if nVidia has included its own video/media player that Kodi could leverage (assuming it's any good) as an external player.

Willing to answer this please?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-05-25

@Skank Stop being pushy, please. You are becoming really annoying...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Skank - 2015-05-25

I just asked, no problem , wont post anything furthermore

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-05-25

(2015-05-25, 08:20)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 06:24)ozkhan1 Wrote: I am sure that part will work fine as nvidia promised.

Famous last words.

Smile

Fingers crossed!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Topken - 2015-05-25

(2015-05-25, 18:45)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 08:20)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:

Famous last words.

Smile

Fingers crossed!

Streaming has worked perfectly fine since the original Shield handheld so that portion should be rock solid on the Shield TV. Just need to wait on the devs to figure things out with everything to do with KODI and the whatnot tho. This might just be the box I grab down the road once we get moved into the new modular house we are currently in the proccess of building. But before that I need to snag a proper LCD based HDTV for gaming since Plasma is a nogo in that regard for several reasons. Dealing with a 2009 50" Plasma is not fun since its so freaking heavy.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-05-25

(2015-05-24, 21:43)nickr Wrote: Thumbs down to external players.
Agreed, but if it's the only way to get HD audio, 23.976, and 3D via Kodi, then I'll take it (vs. nothing).

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nickr - 2015-05-26

vs. RPi 2 which meets your requirements.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-05-26

(2015-05-26, 00:13)nickr Wrote: vs. RPi 2 which meets your requirements.

No Netflix (or other apps) on RPi 2.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nickr - 2015-05-26

Netflix wasn't mentioned in hdmkv's post. But yeah, good point.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-05-26

hdmkv also didn't mention other devices. The (vs nothing) comment, as I took it, was in reference to external vs. internal players via Kodi.

However, I'm sure that if it's possible on the Shield that the Kodi team will get it to work internally. It's probably just going to take some time to get it working and merged into Kodi.

It's a little premature to going throwing a bunch of questions at the team when they've probably only had a few days to play with it. We're all anxious to know the good and bad and I'm sure they'll share what they know when they have time to share.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - natethomas - 2015-05-26

I don't have one, but I can answer the external player question. We have not had a single conversation with NVIDIA about using external players. I don't know if they have one waiting in the wings, but frankly I'd be surprised if they did. They are working pretty closely with us with the goal of making the internal Kodi player the best one we could use.

In emails so far, 3D ISOs haven't particularly been discussed. Since so few of us are interested in MVC 3D, that kind of question doesn't get answered much. koying may have more knowledge on the issue, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on that point until somebody from our end actually mentions it.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-05-26

(2015-05-26, 02:23)natethomas Wrote: I don't have one, but I can answer the external player question. We have not had a single conversation with NVIDIA about using external players. I don't know if they have one waiting in the wings, but frankly I'd be surprised if they did. They are working pretty closely with us with the goal of making the internal Kodi player the best one we could use.

In emails so far, 3D ISOs haven't particularly been discussed. Since so few of us are interested in MVC 3D, that kind of question doesn't get answered much. koying may have more knowledge on the issue, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on that point until somebody from our end actually mentions it.

I'm sure someone will instantly chime in disagreeing with me... I would love to have MKV 3d MVC support but it is the cherry on top and not the ice cream. I am fine with using my blu ray player for those movies that I want to watch in 3d. I say this for one reason that unlike 24p, HD audio, a proper deinterlacer, and all three blu ray codecs in order for me to watch a 3d movie I have to get off my butt and get the glasses. So at the very least it isn't a passive thing (no pun intended) and since I'm getting up to get the glasses with the intent to watch 3d I'm not that sore if I have to get the disc and put it in the player. I don't just think, "lets continue on the couch and watch a 3d movie". It's a mood I'm in for 3d and an active theater experience. All those other things (and netflix) trump 3d for me and it isn't that close. If the option were there I would be down for it and willing to pay a little extra to get it done. But I'm also willing to do that for everything else I mentioned when OEMs cheap out and don't include hardware licenses. It's a shame Google hasn't delivered a way for us to buy codec licensing.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - blank - 2015-05-26

(2015-05-26, 00:13)nickr Wrote: vs. RPi 2 which meets your requirements.

I might be wrong here, but as far as I understand, the RPi 2 does not support true HD sound (Bitstreaming)?