Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - movd - 2016-06-06

(2016-06-06, 07:33)feathers Wrote: @movd why aren't you letting Kodi switch to 23.976hz for those files ?

With SPMC, I do use refresh rate switching. I've been trying the nightlies of Krypton and refresh rate switching doesn't work properly and I've noticed this issue. I'm just trying to get an understanding of what is happening.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2016-06-06

(2016-06-06, 10:52)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-06-05, 23:02)Zagenator Wrote:
(2016-06-03, 05:22)timstephens24 Wrote: So you're setup is this, right?

Shield -> TV -> Receiver/Amp

In the Shield make sure you have it set to 5.1 for the audio, and then passthrough for DTS and DD, but not for DTS-HD MA and not for TrueHD, and see if that helps you. I'm just guessing here though...

first, yes - that's my setup connections.

but i don't know, where (in Shield) i can change the audio settings to 5.1 and passthrough. i have only settings for USB audio (stereo, stereo HQ and 5.1). that's all. Sad

In Kodi settings, not Shield settings.

Yeah my bad I was referring to the Kodi settings on the Shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - xb24 - 2016-06-07

Hi guys. In terms of playing 2d bluray, Is the Nvidia Shield the best in terms of picture quality and sound quality? .

My priority is the 2d bluray PQ & SQ. No need for 3d and online apps such as netflix.

I will be playing through an external hard drive.

Thanks for the help

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DrowningApe - 2016-06-09

(2016-06-07, 06:43)xb24 Wrote: Hi guys. In terms of playing 2d bluray, Is the Nvidia Shield the best in terms of picture quality and sound quality? .

My priority is the 2d bluray PQ & SQ. No need for 3d and online apps such as netflix.

I will be playing through an external hard drive.

Thanks for the help
The Shield is an awesome box for those who want flawless Kodi as well as streaming services like Netflix. If you just want good Kodi playback you can get an Asus Chromebox, or an Acer Revo Build for $50 or more less than the Shield.

Sent from my XT1575

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - christoofar - 2016-06-10

New development?
http://androidcommunity.com/plex-gets-baked-in-to-nvidia-shield-including-media-server-capabilities-20160610/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - _Spook_ - 2016-06-10

Does the SPMC on Shield support playback of HDR content? Just nice to know when nVidia release the 3.2 firmware with HDR support Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - danfloss - 2016-06-10

(2016-06-10, 19:11)christoofar Wrote: New development?
http://androidcommunity.com/plex-gets-baked-in-to-nvidia-shield-including-media-server-capabilities-20160610/

Interesting

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-10, 20:00)_Spook_ Wrote: Does the SPMC on Shield support playback of HDR content? Just nice to know when nVidia release the 3.2 firmware with HDR support Smile
Which HDR? 10 or 12? Tongue
I just have no clue what "supporting" it means, currently...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - _Spook_ - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 00:32)Koying Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 20:00)_Spook_ Wrote: Does the SPMC on Shield support playback of HDR content? Just nice to know when nVidia release the 3.2 firmware with HDR support Smile
Which HDR? 10 or 12? Tongue
I just have no clue what "supporting" it means, currently...

Well, HDR10 obiosly. Since HDR "12" is Dolby Vision HDR and is still 10bit. And 12bit HDR would do no good since no TV today has more then 10bit panel. So DV HDR is just mastered in 12 bit but converted to 10 bit when released to a published media.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-10, 20:04)danfloss Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 19:11)christoofar Wrote: New development?

Interesting

This looks more than interesting.

Never fancy Plex on my Nas due the transcoding and the Hardware required to use it, can't wait for the 3.2 update on the shield:

Quote:All you do is either copy your media to SHIELD’s internal storage, plug in a USB hard drive, or even connect your NAS to your SHIELD and boom! It’s a media server

Quote: Additionally, SHIELD Pro can handle multiple streams at the same time. This means that one person can watch a 4K movie on Netflix, while someone else watches a show on a tablet somewhere else, even remotely!

Quote:As an added benefit, the activated Plex app ($4.99) is included at no charge on SHIELD Android TV.

via Link to shield Blog and blog plex Article/ FAQ and nvidia plex FAQ

Quote:Will the 16GB SHIELD version be supported too? Absolutely! While it has less internal storage, you can always connect a USB drive or network storage location (via SMB) with either version.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Topken - 2016-06-11

Isn't the only thing the Shield Pro have over the normal Shield storage space with its 500gb hdd over the 16gb on the normal Shield? AKa how can PLEX state the Shield Pro can do multipl streams while the normal Shield can not??

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 10:22)Topken Wrote: Isn't the only thing the Shield Pro have over the normal Shield storage space with its 500gb hdd over the 16gb on the normal Shield? AKa how can PLEX state the Shield Pro can do multipl streams while the normal Shield can not??

16Gb or 500gb Pro shield are capable of multiple streams using plex according to the FAQ in the links above.

The shield is becoming a huge bargain android box, since the plex server built-in will take advantage of the Nvidia GPU, while all the other hardware running plex server only use the CPU.
High performance, low power, low cost...and very quiet.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 10:22)Topken Wrote: Isn't the only thing the Shield Pro have over the normal Shield storage space with its 500gb hdd over the 16gb on the normal Shield? AKa how can PLEX state the Shield Pro can do multipl streams while the normal Shield can not??

That's not what the statement "Additionally, SHIELD Pro can handle multiple streams at the same time." means.

Nvidia is just touting the Pro because they consider it a more "complete system" for both client and server because it has a 500GB drive and because there's no variances as there will be with attached storage.

But there will be no feature difference between the 16GB and Pro model. But there will be difference in capabilities due to what people use for attached storage.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 10:22)Topken Wrote: AKa how can PLEX state the Shield Pro can do multipl streams while the normal Shield can not??

Where do they "state" that. I have found nothing, are you just misinterpreting other statements?
The only reference I can see to multiple streams is an answer to a question:

"generally speaking I would say it can do 2-3 1080p h264 8mbit streams but you mileage may vary."

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 17:59)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Where do they "state" that.

Believe they are referring to the Nvidia blog, https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/plex-media-server?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RBMlpHRmtZekV5T1dRMSIsInQiOiJsd0wrb1lHRHZtXC9FelZmSEFaK%E2%80%8BzlmQm5QT2JEaUZqM1dNalpqb0ErNGYyMFg4TENuZUhqR001bjY4bjhHSVAxbkhuTVRoeGNzZklUTWwwW%E2%80%8Bkk4eVwvdGQ4SzRXNnV5dFZ6QjhGZVZ1WTliUHhnPSJ9#cid=TWOs6916&utm_source=Shield-Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=bv_Module2-CTA-link&utm_campaign=ThisWeekOnSHIELD_060916 it states:

Quote:Another great thing about Plex Media Server running on NVIDIA SHIELD Pro is that it lets you enjoy your videos, shows and movies, music, photos, and more on any device in your home as well as outside of your network thanks to remote access. This means that anyone with a mobile device can access and enjoy your library of content from any phone, tablet, or PC. Additionally, SHIELD Pro can handle multiple streams at the same time. This means that one person can watch a 4K movie on Netflix, while someone else watches a show on a tablet somewhere else, even remotely!

@Topken appears to making the assumption that the 16GB model can't from that statement, but again, see my post above^^^^.