Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MrMC - 2016-07-18

hehe, I looked at kernel source code. Then verified with some vsync timing code to see what it actually was.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2016-07-18

(2016-07-18, 17:34)MrMC Wrote: I can't believe that Amazon devs got it right and Nvidia devs screwed it up Smile What are they doing over there ?

Well, from what they told me, they did actually implement it, but faced a related wall, so workarounded it.
The sound of AFTV having it working might give them some incentive in fixing the root cause...

Considering that most 4K TV's do a better job at 1080p->4K upscaling than the boxes, having dynamic resolutions inside MrMC/SPMC is great.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MrMC - 2016-07-18

(2016-07-18, 18:09)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-07-18, 17:38)MrMC Wrote: Yes. 4K and any resolution/refresh rate that we get from the display mode API can be used as gui and/or video playback.

Here's from my Samsung UHDTV.
The 24 is really 23.976 and 60 is really 59.94. Need to check 30 sometime.
You will have to check the output of AFTV4K with an HDMI analyzer to verify whether the output is actually 23.976Hz or not. I know that 60Hz is actually 59.940Hz and 24Hz from the hidden menu is not 23.976Hz on the AFTV4K.

They (Amazon devs) have been messing in that area for the recent updates.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Titans84 - 2016-07-19

Hey I'm a rookie to all this. Just curious, I see that NVIDIA Shield was released in June of last year. Does anyone know when a second version will come out? Or what new Android TV boxes will be out in the next month or two as I look to purchase one. I'd just prefer to have the latest model with hopefully Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Thanks.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - 808? - 2016-07-19

(2016-07-19, 01:39)Titans84 Wrote: Hey I'm a rookie to all this. Just curious, I see that NVIDIA Shield was released in June of last year. Does anyone know when a second version will come out? Or what new Android TV boxes will be out in the next month or two as I look to purchase one. I'd just prefer to have the latest model with hopefully Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Thanks.

The Shield is the most future proof Android TV box running Marshmallow at the moment.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - christoofar - 2016-07-19

(2016-07-19, 01:39)Titans84 Wrote: Hey I'm a rookie to all this. Just curious, I see that NVIDIA Shield was released in June of last year. Does anyone know when a second version will come out? Or what new Android TV boxes will be out in the next month or two as I look to purchase one. I'd just prefer to have the latest model with hopefully Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Thanks.

Best advice I can give is, since you are "a rookie to all this" is to spend some time here reading in the various threads that give breakdowns on a lot of the current set top boxes, very helpful info right there to assist you in making a good choice for your expectations.
For example:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Titans84 - 2016-07-19

(2016-07-19, 02:10)christoofar Wrote:

Thanks.

Best advice I can give is, since you are "a rookie to all this" is to spend some time here reading in the various threads that give breakdowns on a lot of the current set top boxes, very helpful info right there to assist you in making a good choice for your expectations.
For example:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Okay thanks Chris.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - veegee21 - 2016-07-20

(2016-07-05, 23:09)_Spook_ Wrote: Nice! I can play HDR media files from Kodi and SPMC on the 3.2 update and TV detects it. Love it! Smile

Spook - I have the same TV as you but can't for the life of me get HDR to work from the Shield using SPMC (or from anything else on the Shield for that matter). Are you able to tell me what Shield HDMI settings and what E6 settings you have enabled to be able to do this. I am pulling my (few remaining) hairs out over this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - _Spook_ - 2016-07-29

(2016-07-20, 09:20)veegee21 Wrote:
(2016-07-05, 23:09)_Spook_ Wrote: Nice! I can play HDR media files from Kodi and SPMC on the 3.2 update and TV detects it. Love it! Smile

Spook - I have the same TV as you but can't for the life of me get HDR to work from the Shield using SPMC (or from anything else on the Shield for that matter). Are you able to tell me what Shield HDMI settings and what E6 settings you have enabled to be able to do this. I am pulling my (few remaining) hairs out over this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Nothing special. But you have to enable HDMI Ultradeep colors on the LG HDMI port.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sandogo1 - 2016-07-29

I s it better to run spmc on the shield rather then Kodi

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - deaded - 2016-07-29

yes

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - dazm46 - 2016-07-29

hi question can i run smpc and kodi on the shield switching from one to the other . thanks

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ned Scott - 2016-07-29

Yes. They will both have their own settings, and thus can run along side each other without any conflict.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Mikeykody - 2016-07-30

Hi guys I've been using kodi for a while now on fire tv stick and I had about enough of that, I'm considering upgrading to the shield and was wondering if you could tell me if there are any problems with the shield/kodi I should know about and is the shield still the king for kodi of small media centre boxes
Many thanks mike

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-07-31

(2016-07-30, 17:08)Mikeykody Wrote: are any problems with the shield/kodi I should know about

Yes, no, maybe. Helpful answer I know. Use SPMC instead of Kodi and and there will be far more of no problems.

(2016-07-30, 17:08)Mikeykody Wrote: and is the shield still the king for kodi of small media centre boxes

Yes.