Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Soli - 2016-09-01

No, I only have a 1080p display. I have a DVDO Quick6, but that one will only pass 4:2:0 at 4k, and doesn't support metadata (i think). Some kind of a successor to this would be ideal. Have you tried googling?

Not sure if SATV supports metadata yet, from the reports I've read on this forum it switches to bt.2020 and outputs YCC 4K, but doesn't send the required metadata to the display. That means you'll have to manually switch to high gamut mode on your telly, and if that is the case it won't pass along the HDR metadata either. Then again I'm not sure. Seems noone is.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2016-09-01

(2016-09-01, 17:11)Soli Wrote: Not sure if SATV supports metadata yet, from the reports I've read on this forum it switches to bt.2020 and outputs YCC 4K, but doesn't send the required metadata to the display. That means you'll have to manually switch to high gamut mode on your telly, and if that is the case it won't pass along the HDR metadata either. Then again I'm not sure. Seems noone is.
It passes most of the HDR metadata. It doesn't pass a proper checksum and also strips MaxFALL and MaxCLL which apparently the Samsung and Philips Ultra HD Blu-ray players are also stripping. The Netflix app on the Shield strips the color primaries also. So, if you have a UHD HDR display that expects the full and complete HDR Infoframe, you will have problems.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - iV1n5 - 2016-09-01

Thanks all for you feedbacks.

(2016-09-01, 11:52)Soli Wrote: Most TVs , including LG, won't accept anything but 2 channel stereo on their HDMI inputs. They will only pass encoded audio from built-in apps.

In the update of my previous post I mention about being able to pass encoded audio from Plex for both DD and DTS (of course, not HD). What do you mean with "built-in apps"?
After testing Plex I've tested also Kodi with passthrough option and it seems to work but the audio signal on the receiver blinks and I cannot really hear the audio track. Very weird...

From what I see I start to believe it's a software problem with SPMC... maybe only a wrong configuration. I've followed these recommendations.

Anyway, using the AVR is the best option.. and right now there are no really any title at 2160p60. For the future, I'll just upgrade my AVR...

Thanks.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2016-09-01

(2016-09-01, 14:34)jd17 Wrote:
(2016-09-01, 11:52)Soli Wrote: If 4k60 is important to you, then get an additional HDMi 2.0(a) switch with arc or optical output. You won't get HD sound unless that switch is also able to output to 2 HDMi outputs (one of them only for sound).
Do you have an example of an HDMI switch that is actually able to do that?

I would love a box that can do...
- HDMI Output 1: HDMI 2.0a picture stuff (HDR10, BT.2020, 2160p60, 10 Bit, the lot...)
- HDMI Output 2: Just (HD) audio

If you know such a switch, please share! Smile

A switch like that will cost you about 200€ to 300€, and its not guarantee that will work.
It needs to have Edid management, check some models at HDFURY

My advice : sell your receiver and buy a new one.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - aaron.fritz - 2016-09-02

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15259

could give this a try.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - iV1n5 - 2016-09-04

(2016-08-31, 22:17)iV1n5 Wrote: Hi All,

i finally got my shield at home. I've tried it a little bit but I'm still missing something. I focused a lot on video capabilities being sure that audio somehow would have been there... and now I have my problems. Tongue

So, this is what I have:
- LG 55EF950 (v04.25.10)
- Denon AVR-3311 (latest firmware)
- nVidia Shield (v3.2)

not having a HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2 AVR, I would be happy if i could get either of:
- 2160p60 with 5.1 audio
- 1080p with HD Audio

I have tried two possible setups:
1. Shield attached directly to the TV and using ARC to pass audio to the AVR
2. Shield attached to the AVR

In the first case I can get 4K at 60hz but the audio is stuck at just stereo. Still trying to understand if I'm missing something in the configuration (on each device).
In the second case I am stuck with 4K at 30hz but at least I can get multi-channel audio. The problem here is I couldn't get any audio passthrough to work. Only PCM.

Of course I can give you all the settings I have on each device but maybe you can start by telling me if it's just possible:
- to have 5.1 audio passthrough using ARC
- to have the shield pass coded audio to my AVR instead of just PCM

I really appreciate your support. Thanks!

Update: all my test were done using SPMC. I've just tried Plex out of curiosity and ARC works in passthrough! I can see Dolby Digital or DTS on my receiver display. This means I can focus on the shield/SPMC only! Huge step forward! Tongue

Hi, at the end I've decided to follow the second option by attaching the shield to the AVR, to get the best fro the audio. Right now, 4K videos are not so many... and when they will be available I'll just upgrade my AVR to one with HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2.
in the mean time, to fix the multi-channel option and allow the passthrough I've disabled this option:

Videos > Playback > sync playback to display = off

Hope this can help someone else. I suggest everyone to follow these recommendations:

Recommended video settings for SPMC and NVIDIA Shield TV with 1080p GUI

Recommended passthrough audio settings for SPMC, NVIDIA Shield TV and AV Receivers

Recommended video settings for SPMC, NVIDIA Shield TV and UHD (4K) TVs with 4K GUI

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Taftus - 2016-09-08

Hey guys! I have a question that I have been itching my head like crazy. I have never had this issue before.
I have been using Shield TV with Kodi for awhile and everything works just flawless until last Shield update or was it Kodi that mess everything up?

Anyway my issue is that when I play a movie (MKV) and Kodi will auto put my TV in to 24hz which I prefer and when I pause or stop movie it will go back to 60Hz which have been working fine. But now when I play a movie, and suddenly random it give me black screen and put my TV to 60Hz. And than randomly it put back to 24Hz and than again give me black screen randomly and put it back to 60Hz. Pretty annoying when I am watching a movie and gives black screen.
Is there a new settings or something that I have missed? Like I said, this issue was not there before the update, not sure if it was Shield or Kodi that messed up.

Cheers! And Kudos to this community.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - magister - 2016-09-08

I am having issues with Kodi on my 2nd Shield tv. I noticed it a few weeks ago when mpeg2 stopped playing properly on my new bedroom Shield.

My HD Homerun works just fine on my pi2 with librelec and on my other shield tv. But on my bedroom, it does not work.

I wrote it off as signal issues (even though watching it transcoded worked). Anyway, tonight I was playing some HD home videos (.mov and .mp4) and they were not playing right. Cache buffering, choppy, etc. Went into my other room and they played perfectly on my other shield.

I have been using SPMC so I downloaded KODI fresh to see if it was something I was doing wrong with my settings or whatever. Same problem.

So basically, big HD files do not seem to be working. On HD homerun, when set to native format, I get green screens and noise. And I get choppiness on home videos.

Any thoughts?

Log https://paste.ubuntu.com/23148620/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tyler Durden - 2016-09-08

For the love of God - How can I manage files on a NSTVs external hard drive!?

I have searched and searched and searched for an answer. I've tried many many different server apps and I cannot make it work.

Is it actually impossible to implement a system that will allow me to copy and paste / delete / create files on the hard drive attached to the NVTV from a PC?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-09-08

(2016-09-08, 12:40)Tyler Durden Wrote: For the love of God - How can I manage files on a NSTVs external hard drive!?

I have searched and searched and searched for an answer. I've tried many many different server apps and I cannot make it work.

Is it actually impossible to implement a system that will allow me to copy and paste / delete / create files on the hard drive attached to the NVTV from a PC?

So, you've searched and searched?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158&pid=2407004#pid2407004

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/948161/managing-external-drives-over-smb-/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/921315/how-to-3-0-marshmallow-and-external-drives-/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tyler Durden - 2016-09-08

Yes I've searched and only found that it can't be done. I was hoping to find that it could. It seems not.

I'm in the middle of moving 3TB of UHD material off my external drive so I can format it as adopted storage. Thay should sort it, right?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-09-08

(2016-09-08, 23:35)Tyler Durden Wrote: Yes I've searched and only found that it can't be done. I was hoping to find that it could. It seems not.

I'm in the middle of moving 3TB of UHD material off my external drive so I can format it as adopted storage. Thay should sort it, right?

Actually, it can but there are limitations, those spelled out in the links I posted.

If you want to get past those limitations install Total Commander, for local management or you can use the VirtualHere app for management over your network.

Or work within the limitations.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - FingerLickingGood - 2016-09-09

I currently am using an Amazon FireTV2 with Kodi sideloaded. Besides using it for the slew of normal TV streaming apps, one of the main things I use it for is to stream LIve TV from an antenna that is passed to a server I have running NextPVR as a backend. I then stream local channels to the FireTV from the server.

That being said, the quality from the FireTVs MPEG2 decoding has been pretty...meh. Especially since about 70% of the TV watching I do is football. Would the SheildTV be a noticeable upgrade when it comes to MEPG2 LIve TV streams? Especially as it relates to the screen tearing that comes with watching football. I have seen posts placing it in the same category as the FireTV for MPEG2, but also read there have been improvements through updates, so wondering what people are experiencing currently?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - tredman - 2016-09-09

(2016-09-09, 20:12)FingerLickingGood Wrote: I currently am using an Amazon FireTV2 with Kodi sideloaded. Besides using it for the slew of normal TV streaming apps, one of the main things I use it for is to stream LIve TV from an antenna that is passed to a server I have running NextPVR as a backend. I then stream local channels to the FireTV from the server.

That being said, the quality from the FireTVs MPEG2 decoding has been pretty...meh. Especially since about 70% of the TV watching I do is football. Would the SheildTV be a noticeable upgrade when it comes to MEPG2 LIve TV streams? Especially as it relates to the screen tearing that comes with watching football. I have seen posts placing it in the same category as the FireTV for MPEG2, but also read there have been improvements through updates, so wondering what people are experiencing currently?
If would have been a great upgrade - I bought two to replace my fire TVs, for a while it was great.... However then nvidia broke deinterlacing in the latest 3.2 firmware update. Other than one throwaway comment since they have done nothing about it. It's really poor support and really poor testing. Either way definitely do not get one for Live TV

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - FingerLickingGood - 2016-09-09

(2016-09-09, 21:48)tredman Wrote:
(2016-09-09, 20:12)FingerLickingGood Wrote: I currently am using an Amazon FireTV2 with Kodi sideloaded. Besides using it for the slew of normal TV streaming apps, one of the main things I use it for is to stream LIve TV from an antenna that is passed to a server I have running NextPVR as a backend. I then stream local channels to the FireTV from the server.

If would have been a great upgrade - I bought two to replace my fire TVs, for a while it was great.... However then nvidia broke deinterlacing in the latest 3.2 firmware update. Other than one throwaway comment since they have done nothing about it. It's really poor support and really poor testing. Either way definitely do not get one for Live TV

Thank you so much for the reply, exactly what I needed to know!