Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ned Scott - 2016-09-12

h.264 interlaced is a sin against nature. Interlaced content needs to die more than optical media.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 00:01)wesk05 Wrote: Who cares about 50i or H.264i Wink

Not me. Tongue

(2016-09-12, 04:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I would call broken deinterlacing a Mission Critical Bug, that has taken nVIDIA far too long to fix on the Shield.

So you think this because you own a Shield now? Wink

How long it's taken, or whether it's too long is probably a matter of what they bring to the table with the next update. There are other people that have what they consider "critical" bugs that have nothing to do with deinterlacing and I'm sure they would want a fix too. Personally, I'd rather see a update that fixes multiple bugs and adds features than a bunch of small fix releases.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 06:07)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-09-12, 00:01)wesk05 Wrote: Who cares about 50i or H.264i Wink

Not me. Tongue

(2016-09-12, 04:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I would call broken deinterlacing a Mission Critical Bug, that has taken nVIDIA far too long to fix on the Shield.

Not me either.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 05:06)Ned Scott Wrote: h.264 interlaced is a sin against nature. Interlaced content needs to die more than optical media.
+1
Did the broadcasters notice it's 2016, already Wink

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - fritsch - 2016-09-12

One could also ask: Did the TV boxes vendors not realize that it will need another 2+ years until the digital interlaced channels are slowly starting to go away? We cannot change reality and 1080i h264 and 576i mpeg2 will be _the_ standard for at least the next 2 years.

I'll say that set-top box vendors like nvidia or Amazon don't give a damn about that.
Actually, the longer live TV looks like shit on their box, the better for Amazon prime and Netflix. Darwin...

Yep. Their entire business is banking on people cutting the cord, and far too many people don't get good OTA signal for even that. By the time the broadcast, cable, and satellite industries get their heads out of their collective asses most everyone will have moved on to internet based on-demand TV.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 06:07)Tinwarble Wrote:

So you think this because you own a Shield now? Wink
Well, You now see enough people complaining about broken deinterlacing that it is virtually becoming a daily occurrence !
Users will start writing Rhymes about it soon unless fixed Wink

(2016-09-12, 08:39)Koying Wrote: I'll say that set-top box vendors like nvidia or Amazon don't give a damn about that.
Actually, the longer live TV looks like shit on their box, the better for Amazon prime and Netflix. Darwin...
I would say that is definitely their way of thinking. Make sure the paid for streaming Apps get as much support as possible. Its all about these companies scratching each other backs in the end.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-09-12

(2016-09-12, 09:22)wrxtasy Wrote: Well, You now see enough people complaining about broken deinterlacing that it is virtually becoming a daily occurrence !
Users will start writing Rhymes about it soon unless fixed Wink

And that's usually the majority of what you see in forums, complaints. There also been enough people that say that they don't have an issue. Whether it's a issue or not depends on the use case.

People seem to forget that companies don't have unlimited resources, or think they do. So most companies prioritize what they need or want to get done. And if were a matter that they were ignoring the issue or putting it on the back burner then that would be different than them not doing a quick fix release.

(2016-09-12, 08:39)Koying Wrote: I'll say that set-top box vendors like nvidia or Amazon don't give a damn about that.

I can't speak for Amazon, but in the case of Nvidia (at least from the conversions that I've had with them), they do "give a damn". If I had to say it's anything it's more that they don't really understand the issue or even the use cases that many media users have.

(2016-09-12, 09:22)wrxtasy Wrote: I would say that is definitely their way of thinking. Make sure the paid for streaming Apps get as much support as possible. Its all about these companies scratching each other backs in the end.

Not really. They don't even have to do anything special for the streaming apps. Even if they did, I really doubt anyone is getting their back scratched. It's just good business sense to focus on the greater use/demand.

Nvidia at least has some incentive to fix it because they're just selling hardware (unlike Amazon, which has a video service and an app store), and live TV is one more use-case, but it's not going to be a high priority. It's something they'll eventually get to, and that's exactly the amount of importance that live TV deserves for their market.

A company like WeTek might be different, but that's because they have live TV tuners in some of their boxes, so they're focusing on a specific use case/market over general Android TV usage/market.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - maxtherabbit - 2016-09-12

Broken deinterlacing is a big issue considering PVR functionality is an essential part of Kodi nowadays. And deinterlaced material is not going anywhere at least for a decade. In the beginning of next year all tv broadcasters in Finland will be moving to h264 interlaced for both HD and SD (currently mpeg2 for SD). So when a core feature like deinterlacing is broken for 2,5 months and counting it really starts to get on the users' nerves. By the way software decoding is a complete mess on the Shield with Krypton. All cores are at 100 % and 1080i h264 video plays at ~10 fps.

I know Krypton is in Beta and not final for some time yet, but the AFTV and Shield should not feel like the odd man out. Deinterlacing on AMLogic is now a complete mess as well on Krypton Beta, forget about trying to view 1080i H264.
This is coming from a platform with very good Hardware deinterlacing when using Kodi Jarvis. Sad

Yes as you have said PVR functionality is a Core feature of Kodi. It either works or Kodi devs should rip it out and be done with it !

(2016-09-12, 16:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes as you have said PVR functionality is a Core feature of Kodi. It either works or Kodi devs should rip it out and be done with it !

You're probably missing that PVR surely works perfectly fine on other non-shield and non-AML platforms.
And this has nothing to do with PVR, really, but video decoding of interlaced material.

(2016-09-12, 15:46)maxtherabbit Wrote: And deinterlaced material is not going anywhere at least for a decade. In the beginning of next year all tv broadcasters in Finland will be moving to h264 interlaced for both HD and SD (currently mpeg2 for SD).

I'm sure Music producers didn't thought CD was going anywhere, either Big Grin

(2016-09-12, 16:08)Koying Wrote:
(2016-09-12, 16:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes as you have said PVR functionality is a Core feature of Kodi. It either works or Kodi devs should rip it out and be done with it !

You're probably missing that PVR surely works perfectly fine on other non-shield and non-AML platforms.
And this has nothing to do with PVR, really, but video decoding of interlaced material.
Its not like Android is an extremely popular platform or anything for Kodi.
What were the number of Android Kodi downloads again vs the rest ? Wink

And thats excluding counting SPMC !