Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2016-10-15

(2016-10-15, 13:55)Axxel6307 Wrote: Two more questions:

1. I will want to replace my 32gb flash drive with a bigger one on my 16gb unit. How do I do that without losing data? The nvidia website instructions are vague and I am not sure if when installing and giving the option to use as internal storage, that it means in place of my existing attached flash drive or together with it? I only want to run one and don't want to lose the data on the other one.

2. How do I safely add/remove my keyboard dongle to it? If I do it with console it, it forces it to reboot.... Is that okay to hot swap it like that?

see here geforce forum increase your storage Setup Steps for Existing SD Cards.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - maxelm2 - 2016-10-17

Hello. I have a pilot Mele F10 its a work a Nvidia Shield?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Axxel6307 - 2016-10-17

I love the homepage on my new Shield tv, but is there a way to keep your games from showing there? Some sort of privacy settings or a launcher that will let you do that?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pameijer - 2016-10-28

Today Nvidia started rolling out Shield Android TV upgrade 3.3 with improved audio, updated Vulkan API, and more.

* DTS:X Audio: Experience immersive, lifelike audio with DTS:X pass-through in Plex, Kodi v17, and MX Player
* Adds Dolby Atmos audio pass-through support in Plex
* Delivers the latest monthly Android security updates
* Adds support for Vulkan 1.0.1.0 Conformance Test Suite

I haven't read anything yet about solved de-interlacing problems so far, unfortunately.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - maxtherabbit - 2016-10-28

(2016-10-28, 12:26)pameijer Wrote: Today Nvidia started rolling out Shield Android TV upgrade 3.3 with improved audio, updated Vulkan API, and more.

* DTS:X Audio: Experience immersive, lifelike audio with DTS:X pass-through in Plex, Kodi v17, and MX Player
* Adds Dolby Atmos audio pass-through support in Plex
* Delivers the latest monthly Android security updates
* Adds support for Vulkan 1.0.1.0 Conformance Test Suite

I haven't read anything yet about solved de-interlacing problems so far, unfortunately.

Deinterlacing is fixed. It's mostly a bug fix release.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-10-28

(2016-10-28, 12:26)pameijer Wrote: I haven't read anything yet about solved de-interlacing problems so far, unfortunately.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/973506/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-3-3-now-available-10-28-16-/

Quote:Improves video playback at 50Hz for interlaced content
“Access SHIELD folders on PC” setting persists through system restart
SHIELD + Plex Media Server no longer requires restart after adopting storage
Plex web app no longer displays adopted storage as “Null”

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Wheresthebeef - 2016-10-28

(2016-10-28, 20:35)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-10-28, 12:26)pameijer Wrote: I haven't read anything yet about solved de-interlacing problems so far, unfortunately.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/973506/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-3-3-now-available-10-28-16-/

Quote:Improves video playback at 50Hz for interlaced content
SHIELD + Plex Media Server no longer requires restart after adopting storage
Plex web app no longer displays adopted storage as “Null”

Not fixed as far as I can tell. Installed 3.3, restarted and after I was up and running, I turned this setting on and restarted again to test. It was disabled on reboot.

Anyone else?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Matalo - 2016-10-28

None of the known frame rate issues were even bothered with.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - tknice1 - 2016-10-28

(2016-10-28, 20:44)Wheresthebeef Wrote: “Access SHIELD folders on PC” setting persists through system restart

Not fixed as far as I can tell. Installed 3.3, restarted and after I was up and running, I turned this setting on and restarted again to test. It was disabled on reboot.

Anyone else?

I was able to access folders after the upgrade/restart. I had the option enabled beforehand.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2016-10-28

Well with 3.3 firmware fixing the Plex TrueHD passthrough that will make Plex my first choice player for blu-ray playback.

I hope SPMC continue to improve.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Wagg - 2016-10-29

(2016-10-28, 21:13)tknice1 Wrote:
(2016-10-28, 20:44)Wheresthebeef Wrote: “Access SHIELD folders on PC” setting persists through system restart

Anyone else?

I was able to access folders after the upgrade/restart. I had the option enabled beforehand.

Mine doesn't work either- at all, regardless of whether I have it turned on or off at restart it's always "ON" and does nothing. Worked fine with 3.2.

Same goes for NAS storage. It no longer automounts at a restart- I have to turn it on manually every time. Worked fine before.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-10-29

(2016-10-28, 20:35)Tinwarble Wrote: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/973506/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-3-3-now-available-10-28-16-/
There are some pretty unhappy long term users, letting off steam in that thread, wanting persistant problems fixed with the Shield, such as Mr DaMacFunkin...v3.3 Firmware feedback...

Quote:Top and bottom of it is I bought this to play 4K 10bit 24hz media files, it used to do it just fine, since 3.2 update it doesn't, the thing I bought it for doesn't work anymore, I don't give a rats arse about 1080p I've got at least 7 other devices that can playback 1080p media files just fine, this 4K box was supposed to be a progression not a recession - Nvidia should let me downgrade to 3.1 or give me my money back, they broke THE one thing I bought it for.
At least it looks like nVIDIA have fixed deinterlacing for 25/50fps EURO / AUS / NZ - Shield OTA TV viewers.

So the question is 4K HDR Netflix, what happens to the colorspace. Does the Shield switch to RGB 8bit output when Netflix starts streaming as well ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Matalo - 2016-10-29

A lot of us are quite unhappy. Unfortunately not a large enough number to have it matter.

This is my best attempt to summarize the issues:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/973506/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-3-3-now-available-10-28-16-/post/5006793/#5006793

Quite honestly people really should be forewarned about them.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-10-29

Yes that is why I'm going to start asking detailed questions to update the START HERE thread from this point going forward because the Shield is what I consider a mature Android platform now promoted for its Speed, Apps and HDR 4K capabilities.

BTW: I've been testing Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 on two different AMLogic S905 DRM HD/4K Netflix capable platforms. And I have one of those problematic 4K TV's with HDMI2.0 but no HDCP 2.2. On one of the devices where I have root access, there is a simple (legal) workaround to disable HDCP2.2 checking (defaults to HDCP 1.x) so you at least still get HD Netflix, but with PCM 2.0 Netflix Audio only. Its better than nothing.

This solution may help nVIDIA Shield affected owners as well if anyone is interested.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2016-10-29

(2016-10-29, 05:37)wrxtasy Wrote: So the question is 4K HDR Netflix, what happens to the colorspace. Does the Shield switch to RGB 8bit output when Netflix starts streaming as well ?
4K HDR Netflix will always be 10-bit Rec.2020 on the Shield. If Shield's output is not 10-bit, you won't even see the HDR tag in Netflix.

(2016-10-29, 06:30)wrxtasy Wrote: BTW: I've been testing Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 on two different AMLogic S905 DRM HD/4K Netflix capable platforms. And I have one of those problematic 4K TV's with HDMI2.0 but no HDCP 2.2. On one of the devices where I have root access, there is a simple (legal) workaround to disable HDCP2.2 checking (defaults to HDCP 1.x) so you at least still get HD Netflix, but with PCM 2.0 Netflix Audio only. Its better than nothing.
This solution may help nVIDIA Shield affected owners as well if anyone is interested.
On the Shield, there isn't any problem getting HD Netflix if HDCP 2.2 check fails. BTW, on this 3.3 update, they have enabled HDCP for all output (including Kodi).