Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Nels5320 - 2017-01-07

Slightly off Shield 2 topic; does anyone know if it is possible to use voice search for shows and movies in SPMC?
Thanks.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - dukester - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-07, 12:20)couto27 Wrote: Nvidia Shield is going to be way ahead in features compared with Other Media player, besides now is almost the size of smartphone..

See more at slashgear website

The BIG features:

Play all Media from NAS/Hard Drive up to 4K HDR with Passthrough Audio
Plex Server Built-in
4K HDR game streaming / Geforce Now / Online Multiplayer gaming from Ubiplay / Streaming games from Nvidia-powered PC.
SmartThings hub with IFTTT
Zigbee radio and a Z wave radio (Security systems, Home automation, Lighting controls)
Google Home unit all-in-one
Streaming Apps up to 4K HDR (Vudu 4K HDR, Amazon Prime 4K HDR , Netflix 4K HDR, Google Movie 4K HDR, Youtube 4K HDR & 360-degree videos etc )
Picture-in-picture (video plays in the corner while use menu screen).
Game controller + TV remote

where are you seeing these specs?

Youtube HDR has no mention anywhere, fwiw i thought its not a feature of the chipset so it will never be hardware decoded on the current shields.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-07, 15:03)dukester Wrote: where are you seeing these specs?

Youtube HDR has no mention anywhere, fwiw i thought its not a feature of the chipset so it will never be hardware decoded on the current shields.

See here stuff.tv

And IGN they mention Youtube HDR and Youtube HDR also was announced during the press conference along with Google play Movies 4K.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2017-01-07

Some of the "specs" are standard in Android 7.x and things like Google Assistant (Google Home) are coming to all Android TV devices, just the Shield will be the first to offer it.

Nvidia Wrote:At CES 2017 in Las Vegas, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang introduces the new SHIELD TV, which offers 4K HDR entertainment, including for Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube; a Steam app on SHIELD for 4K HDR game-streaming from a PC; and a 1,000-game library in the SHIELD store. It also integrates Google Assistant, SmartThings and NVIDIA SPOT, a mic accessory to bring AI throughout the home.

There was no talk of of YouTube hdr during Nvidia press conference, also the above specs do not support hdr YouTube.

(2017-01-07, 15:35)dukester Wrote: There was no talk of of YouTube hdr during Nvidia press conference, also the above specs do not support hdr YouTube.

It's in the Youtube comments on the Nvidia CES vid, see above.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - BORIStheBLADE - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-07, 06:09)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 05:47)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Man I'm really surprised Nvidia is literally selling the same hardware for Shield 2. Kind of a let down, but its still a pretty darn good piece of hardware..

It's been asked many times now, but I'll ask again. Why is it a let down? What do you think new hardware would bring to the table that can't already be done with the current hardware?

Until the software catches up, specifically Android, new hardware would do nothing to improve the experience.

If anything it should make both old and new owners happy. It means that Nviida isn't abandoning capable hardware for something new and shiny (which would probably bring no real value) and that there will be long term support going forward. If you pay a premium for good hardware it should last you a while and you should get support for it much longer than cheaper devices.

Like I said, still a great piece of hardware.

When a new Android phone comes out with the same hardware as the last version which is a year old its usually cheaper. Or they upgrade the hardware even if the old hardware was fine. And these phones still have good support if you buy a big name brand.

In the end I doubt it will sell all that great since most people will wait for a big price cut or the think its middleware with the new HDMI specs..

(2017-01-07, 15:40)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 15:35)dukester Wrote: There was no talk of of YouTube hdr during Nvidia press conference, also the above specs do not support hdr YouTube.

It's in the Youtube comments on the Nvidia CES vid, see above.

Hopefully it happens. That's the only mention of YouTube hdr anywhere.
Vp9 profile 2 decoding is needed.. Hopefully they can add that

(2017-01-07, 15:45)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [Like I said, still a great piece of hardware.

When a new Android phone comes out with the same hardware as the last version which is a year old its usually cheaper. Or they upgrade the hardware even if the old hardware was fine. And these phones still have good support if you buy a big name brand.

In the end I doubt it will sell all that great since most people will wait for a big price cut or the think its middleware with the new HDMI specs..

And it is cheaper, the remote is now included at the same price. So even though it's the same price, you get more since by itself the remote is $50. So for what you got before for $250 you now get for $200. And comparing it to phones is apples and oranges, usually (not always) the hardware is updated because the new phone adds features which aren't supported on the old hardware, not to mention that some of it is just marketing hype so they can sell new hardware which was unnecessary anyway. But no those phones don't always get good support and most will be stuck on old OSs or have to wait months or perhaps never to receive the latest version of Android.

Besides that, Nvidia hasn't even announced a successor to the X1. So what does anyone expect the hardware to be upgraded to.

It should be refreshing that a company isn't requiring their customers to buy a new device just to receive the latest features.

(2017-01-07, 16:49)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 15:45)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [Like I said, still a great piece of hardware.

And it cheaper, the remote is now included at the same price. So even though it's the same price, you get more since by itself the remote is $50. So for what you got before for $250 you now get for $200. And comparing it to phones is apples and oranges, usually (not always) the hardware is updated because the new phone adds features which aren't supported on the old hardware, not to mention that some of it is just marketing hype so they can sell new hardware which was unnecessary anyway. But no those phones don't always get good support and most will be stuck on old OSs or have to wait months or perhaps never to receive the latest version of Android.

Besides that, Nvidia hasn't even announced a successor to the X1. So what does anyone expect the hardware to be upgraded to.

It should be refreshing that a company isn't requiring their customers to buy a new device just to receive the latest features.

So you're saying that all other devices support is inferior in the android ecosystem so the phone pricing doesnt apply? Huh Also if I recall Kodi has a dev working with them? So if we didn't have that would it still have "great support"?

I agree you're getting more in regards to whats packaged with it but that's reaching.. If they sold it barebones with no gamepad or remote do you think that $50.00 remote would sell like hot cakes? I highly doubt it.. Most would go with something else.. I've seen a ton of people complain about cheaper remotes in this forum in the past..

And this whole
Quote:So what does anyone expect the hardware to be upgraded to.?!
How is any consumer supposed to know what hardware they have in the pipline? Why do people upgrade their GPU when they might not need to? Or CPU? People have upgraded from a RPi 3 just because they want a little more grunt. And like I said.. The Original Shield still IS a great piece of hardware but for that price.. Not so much. When it first came out they ran a $150.00 sale for a while. When it was NEW hardware..

Either way.. I still recommend this for someone wanting Android.

we can just agree to disagree..Big Grin

(2017-01-07, 17:41)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: So you're saying that all other devices support is inferior in the android ecosystem so the phone pricing doesnt apply? Huh Also if I recall Kodi has a dev working with them? So if we didn't have that would it still have "great support"?

No, what I'm saying is that Android boxes are not in competition or in the same market as Android phones, so comparing one to the other is not relevant. How they upgrade or not has no real bearing on the Shield. And I don't deal in "what ifs", but it's not just Kodi devs that have worked with Nvidia, Plex and some other have worked with Nvidia.

(2017-01-07, 17:41)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I agree you're getting more in regards to whats packaged with it but that's reaching.. If they sold it barebones with no gamepad or remote do you think that $50.00 remote would sell like hot cakes? I highly doubt it.. Most would go with something else.. I've seen a ton of people complain about cheaper remotes in this forum in the past.

How they sell is a concern for Nvidia and apparently their internal data suggests that this was the best method for selling the Shield (right or wrong). But that doesn't matter since the fact is, you are still getting more now than you were before (disregarding sales).

(2017-01-07, 17:41)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: And this whole
Quote:So what does anyone expect the hardware to be upgraded to.?!
How is any consumer supposed to know what hardware they have in the pipline? Why do people upgrade their GPU when they might not need to? Or CPU? People have upgraded from a RPi 3 just because they want a little more grunt. And like I said.. The Original Shield still IS a great piece of hardware but for that price.. Not so much. When it first came out they ran a $150.00 sale for a while. When it was NEW hardware..

The same way the rest of do, a little research. If you don't do research, no matter what you're buying, then you are not doing your due diligence as a consumer . Why people upgrade when they don't need to is not something that I can answer since I can't get in their heads, but sometimes it's just because they buy into the hype that they need to or perhaps that they want the latest and greatest. And again the RPi3 is not comparable since that has to do with people wanting a better experience. Upgrading the Shield to new hardware would not improve the experience since it is still limited by the software. If you upgrade your car from one that can do 150Mph to one that can do 200Mph it doesn't change the 65Mph speed limit.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tatts4Life - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-07, 05:17)mjbxx Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 04:57)Tatts4Life Wrote: I'm curious if the spot will work on the old shield? I just watched a video of their keynote and that looks pretty cool. I like how it's the size of an air freshener so you won't even notice it. Will be interesting to see how much one costs too.
According to cnet: "The Spot mic will cost $49.99." And am certain that the new Nougat update will bring the Spot to the original Shield TV.

I eventually found a post m nation img the price. I might give it a try. I was trying to think of ways to use it in my house and it will be great in the bathroom where counter space is limited.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-07, 12:25)kapoukos Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 09:03)Vlaves Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 06:09)Tinwarble Wrote: ...
It's been asked many times now, but I'll ask again. Why is it a let down? What do you think new hardware would bring to the table that can't already be done with the current hardware?
For me I must say I hoped for a new remote controller which is more like this one:
I like that it has all relevant buttons on it and those are real buttons. I doubt it will be possible to buy such an remote seperatly...
Apart from the remote the Shield was in its first version already great.

If you also have an av receiver, I would recommend investing in a logitech harmony remote. It works great with the shield! the only disadvantage is the lack of a microphone on the harmony controller (for voice search).
My only gripe with the shield's remote control function is that its IR receiver cannot receive keyboard presses. It would be convenient if it did so I could send macro commands to kodi. I can still do it with the yatse app on my phone, but still.... through the remote would be more convenient.

hub based harmonys also are able to connect via bluetooth. Can you sent macro commands that way?

(2017-01-07, 18:01)Tinwarble Wrote: The same way the rest of do, a little research. If you don't do research, no matter what you're buying, then you are not doing your due diligence as a consumer . Why people upgrade when they don't need to is not something that I can answer since I can't get in their heads, but sometimes it's just because they buy into the hype that they need to or perhaps that they want the latest and greatest. And again the RPi3 is not comparable since that has to do with people wanting a better experience. Upgrading the Shield to new hardware would not improve the experience since it is still limited by the software. If you upgrade your car from one that can do 150Mph to one that can do 200Mph it doesn't change the 65Mph speed limit.

Sounds like you just don't care to hear anyone's opinion that might differ from yours..

This is what I've been saying and you don't want to hear it.. People want to upgrade to a better experience. That is what they want and are looking for.. How does ones experience with a RPi3 not compare? Because its not Android? Well it has Kodi.. And they just might want something snappier or a piece of hardware with more RAM for example. And that's their personal desire. Your opinion of upgrading the Shield hardware not improving anyone experience is 100% speculation and your opinion. But that doesn't mean we or anyone has to live by it..

The car analogy lets look at.. Yes top speed doesnt matter but maybe people want to get to 65mph faster... And yes Android might be limited but Android is always improving like you said and adding features like this Google assistant for instance or an always listening remote..

Man its like somone is talking about your first child..

(2017-01-07, 20:54)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Sounds like you just don't care to hear anyone's opinion that might differ from yours..

Wait......did you just take my differing opinion to say that I don't want to hear differing opinions? So if I'm not agreeing with you, then I'm not listening?

(2017-01-07, 20:54)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: This is what I've been saying and you don't want to hear it.. People want to upgrade to a better experience. That is what they want and are looking for.. How does ones experience with a RPi3 not compare? Because its not Android? Well it has Kodi.. And they just might want something snappier or a piece of hardware with more RAM for example. And that's their personal desire. Your opinion of upgrading the Shield hardware not improving anyone experience is 100% speculation and your opinion. But that doesn't mean we or anyone has to live by it..

I hear you, I just don't agree. The point is that Kodi isn't going to be "snappier" on newer hardware, unlike going from a RPi2 to RPi3 and RAM doesn't matter to Kodi.. If you have a i5 PC Kodi isn't going to be any faster or "snappier" on an i7. There's a point were you are not going to get any improvement at all no matter how powerful your hardware is.

Yes, I will agree that it would be nice if there was a hardware update (it would probably make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside), but it's not needed and at this point, & unwarranted. Because no matter if there was upgraded hardware the experience wouldn't be any different due to software limitations, not to mention (as I stated) there is no hardware to upgrade too.

Plus, unlike what some people have assumed, this was never meant to be a update to the hardware for Nvidia. This was a refresh of the Shield due to the production cycle of the original Shield running out and Nvidia wanting to advertise the new features add to the Shield since it's original launch.