Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2017-01-11

1. You can just install SPMC, also from the Play Store. It will give you nearly an identical experience, but with a few tweeks for Android.

2. 16GB should be enough storage for your files, but if you want to do more with your Shield, like install apps and games, I'd suggest add a SD Card or USB drive and adopt it. This will give you much more storage, even if you don't plan on adding that much now. Just make sure the storage you add is fast enough, I recommend anything rated at least 90/40MB read/write (60/30 is about the bare minimum).

3. You shouldn't have to do anything with your movies. As long as they are correctly named Kodi will scrape all the data.

If you get lost or to a point that you have questions, you can always ask here in the forum, or you can find most answers in the Kodi Wiki which can be accessed by clicking the link in the bar at the top of the forum.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - PantsOnFire - 2017-01-13

TV needed ON for Spot to audibly respond?
Ie, will the spot include built in speaker to talk back to you or will it come out the shield/TV speakers.

Anyone know yet?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-13, 02:00)PantsOnFire Wrote: TV needed ON for Spot to audibly respond?
Ie, will the spot include built in speaker to talk back to you or will it come out the shield/TV speakers.

Anyone know yet?

Spot its a always-on Microphone & Speaker built-in.
The TV dont need to be turn on.

Search for Home Automation, IoT, SmartThings, IFTTT etc etc.

After the Firmware upgrade the shield will have new features & Hardware compatible.

Nvidia Spot is the equivalent to Amazon echo´s Dot
Nvidia + usb extender is the equivalent to Samsung SmartThings Hub
Nvidia + Google assistance is the equivalent to Amazon Echo Alexa/Google Home

Do your mathematic for smart Home:

Amazon Echo Alexa - 179$ + Amazon echo dot - 49$ + Media player Huh
Google Home 129$ + Samsung SmartThings 99$ + Media player Huh
Nvidia Shield with Google Home/assistance Built-in 200$ + Nvidia Spot 49$ + USB extender z-wave/Zigbee (25$ Huh )

If you already have a Shield and want some Home Automation features for +75$ its small price to pay.
If you thinking to buy the New Shield the 275$ investment continues to be small price to pay for Home Automation startup , unless you buy some cheap media player and lose all the major streaming services in 4K HDR DTS-X & Dolby Atmos along with Plex server, Gaming, Remote + game controller etc etc etc.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Msan - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-13, 02:00)PantsOnFire Wrote: TV needed ON for Spot to audibly respond?

Anyone know yet?

Since your supposed to place these all over your house, it wouldnt make sense for it to respond out of the TV in the basement if your upstairs.. Smile
Each one will respond on it's own and will probably know where your are..

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - westwood_tv - 2017-01-13

I'm thinking of buying a Shield, but I'm not sure if this feature of Kodi works: When running Kodi on a 4k TV, I want it to run in 1080p all the time, except when playing back native 4k content. Recent versions of Kodi can do this, but I'm not sure if this is possible with a Shield. Can anybody confirm auto-switching to higher resolutions works?

This is a must-have for me since the upscaler in my LG TV are much better than upscaling with nvidias vdpau scalers...

Thanks in advance!

(2017-01-13, 16:23)westwood_tv Wrote: I'm thinking of buying a Shield, but I'm not sure if this feature of Kodi works: When running Kodi on a 4k TV, I want it to run in 1080p all the time, except when playing back native 4k content. Recent versions of Kodi can do this, but I'm not sure if this is possible with a Shield. Can anybody confirm auto-switching to higher resolutions works?

This is a must-have for me since the upscaler in my LG TV are much better than upscaling with nvidias vdpau scalers...

Thanks in advance!

Its a must-have but not even the Top bluray players can make everything 100%
See #post 333 in oppo 203 bluray player.

Quote:leaving on Auto resolution and ofcourse if I then hit stop on the disc... it goes back to no input reported on the jvc... no oppo menu visible.

I have to hit the resolution button on the oppo remote to put the resolution back to Custom (1080p Auto)

obviously there is something with the oppo menu that makes it not able to be displayed between the oppo-marantz 8802A-jvc x7000 combination

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - rodalpho - 2017-01-13

Most of the attraction of Amazon Echo and Google Home is that they "just work". You can talk at normal volume anywhere in the room and my Echo Dot will hear and understand what I'm saying, because it has seven (7!) sensitive wide-array microphones arrayed around the circular top for enhanced precision. And even then, I have a ~90% success ratio with my Echo Dot. It isn't perfect.

It sounds like the Shield gamepad will be "always on" and listening, but there are a couple problems with that. First, it runs on batteries so you'll either need to leave it plugged-in or ensure it's always charged. Second, the gamepad won't have a clear line of sight to my mouth because it won't be carefully positioned like an Echo or Home. Third, there's no way in hell it has 7 wide-array microphones.

Now it's very possible the $50 Shield Spot thingie is a better listening solution, and that may be a better way to talk to the google assistant. I haven't seen anyone evaluate it yet. And remember, the Echo Dot costs $50 too and is a self-contained solution that can be positioned anywhere, not just plugged-in to the wall.

(2017-01-13, 17:37)rodalpho Wrote: Most of the attraction of Amazon Echo and Google Home is that they "just work". You can talk at normal volume anywhere in the room and my Echo Dot will hear and understand what I'm saying, because it has seven (7!) sensitive wide-array microphones arrayed around the circular top for enhanced precision. And even then, I have a ~90% success ratio with my Echo Dot. It isn't perfect.

It sounds like the Shield gamepad will be "always on" and listening, but there are a couple problems with that. First, it runs on batteries so you'll either need to leave it plugged-in or ensure it's always charged. Second, the gamepad won't have a clear line of sight to my mouth because it won't be carefully positioned like an Echo or Home. Third, there's no way in hell it has 7 wide-array microphones.

the battery on the new shield gamepad is some of does lithium CR2032 that last 1 year in standby.

(2017-01-13, 17:37)rodalpho Wrote: Now it's very possible the $50 Shield Spot thingie is a better listening solution, and that may be a better way to talk to the google assistant. I haven't seen anyone evaluate it yet. And remember, the Echo Dot costs $50 too and is a self-contained solution that can be positioned anywhere, not just plugged-in to the wall.

Competition is always good thing for the consumer, the Echo Dot drop from 90$ to 50$.
If you have several echo dots and Echo with speakers, it might be confusion since both activate at same time.

The Spot hasnt being released yet, but being plugged to the wall is one less thing to charge losing some flexibility.

It won't be in standby. It's always listening, remember?

Regarding multiple Echos, Amazon added spatial perception late last year so only the closest Echo responds to your query. They took care of that problem.

Anyway, this doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with Kodi.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Msan - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-13, 18:39)rodalpho Wrote: It won't be in standby. It's always listening, remember?

Regarding multiple Echos, Amazon added spatial perception late last year so only the closest Echo responds to your query. They took care of that problem.

Anyway, this doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with Kodi.

The remote is not always listening.. just the controller...

I was responding to "the battery on the new shield gamepad is some of does lithium CR2032 that last 1 year in standby.".

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Mike_Doc - 2017-01-13

Hi,

Can someone give me a complete muppets guide to copying files onto a shield TV? I got one last Prime day and never really used it but decided to set it up and see what it can do, problem is copying over files to the kodi directory! if I try ES then the files folder for kodi was first inaccessible but now I can and I get .kodi but that is empty. So I tried putting everything on a usb and try kodi's own file manager but no idea how to use it with the game controller as I don't have remote, all I can do is press 'Y' to change the color of a folder, god knows how you actually copy in kodi file manager on the shield tv.

Also, I have a HDMI audio extractor which takes the HDMI in and splits the audio out to S/PDIF but this isn't working with the shield, I get sound to the TV but nothing from the S/PDIF. it all works fine when using with my Acer Revo with Win10. Can you only do S/PDIF via USB on shield?

Android just seems to be doing my head in? nothing seems easy even adding my NAS was a pain!

I know I can usb it to a pc but that just seems extreme, there should be an easy way to load files on to it?

Everything I read says this is one of the best pieces of hardware for kodi so I thought I'd finally give it a proper try.

Also, I activated 'Access SHIELD folder from PC' and now every time I go back to that it just says 'loading' so can't get connection details and when clicking on SHIELD form network on laptop it just brings up properties

I know these are more Shield related than Kodi but as some of you may have already gone through this I'm hoping you can point out my stupid mistakes

Thanks,

Mike.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-01-14

(2017-01-13, 21:48)Mike_Doc Wrote: Hi,

Can someone give me a complete muppets guide to copying files onto a shield TV? I got one last Prime day and never really used it but decided to set it up and see what it can do, problem is copying over files to the kodi directory! if I try ES then the files folder for kodi was first inaccessible but now I can and I get .kodi but that is empty. So I tried putting everything on a usb and try kodi's own file manager but no idea how to use it with the game controller as I don't have remote, all I can do is press 'Y' to change the color of a folder, god knows how you actually copy in kodi file manager on the shield tv.
You called Muppets Rescue..... we are here to help .... Wink

These are Mi Box Android TV instructions but the technique will be the same. The Strong suggestion is Uninstall the Adware, Crapware, Spyware, Over complicatedware App that ES File Explorer has become and install the better, easier to use X-Plore File manager App. Long press the OK button on the remote when hovering over the ES File Explorer App on the Android TV main desktop screen to Uninstall and re-arrange Icons.

Copying files from a PC.....

Quote:Use X-Plore App from Playstore, start WiFi server, note down the IP address under the WiFi server Icon.
Plug that address into a network connected Web browser on a PC, upload the Files to the Shield / Mi box's Download folder...
Hint: change X-Plore's config to Show Hidden Files can help as well.

Hint: Long press whatever the Shield uses for the OK button on the remote to access X-Plore Sub-menu's. Long pressing also brings up Sub-Menu's in Kodi.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - KaBoS - 2017-01-14

Hi friends

I'm excited and awaited my Nvidia Shield

I have a question

What is the best whit Nvidia Shield Android 7 Kodi version 16.1 or 17

working Good & Passthrough HD Audio Good

Without Problems

Thanks .

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - 808? - 2017-01-14

(2017-01-14, 05:00)KaBoS Wrote: What is the best whit Nvidia Shield Android 7 Kodi version 16.1 or 17

SPMC

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc16&hl=en