Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-05-29

Rpi2 thread is here, and 3D/MVC dev talk here.

Quote:I disagree about 3d MVC being dead. Still lots of movies being released in 3d.... but vendors have always been cheap. I am hopeful the follow through with the codec pack and do so soon.
+1, or at least hope it isn't dead. George Miller recently talked about preferring the 3D version of 'Mad Max: Fury Road', and we have the 'Avatar' sequels coming. And, there's no undenying the 3D prowess of 'Avatar', 'Hugo', and 'Gravity' to name a few that have taken advantage of the format.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 00:56)schwang Wrote: So has anyone run Kodi on this yet? How is it? Is it easy to side load onto the shield?

Please read the last few pages, two devs here have had the unit for a few days and there is a link to the Anandtech review that uses Kodi.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - natethomas - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 01:50)hdmkv Wrote: Rpi2 thread is here, and 3D/MVC dev talk here.

Quote:I disagree about 3d MVC being dead. Still lots of movies being released in 3d.... but vendors have always been cheap. I am hopeful the follow through with the codec pack and do so soon.
+1, or at least hope it isn't dead. George Miller recently talked about preferring the 3D version of 'Mad Max: Fury Road', and we have the 'Avatar' sequels coming. And, there's no undenying the 3D prowess of 'Avatar', 'Hugo', and 'Gravity' to name a few that have taken advantage of the format.

I think 3D will probably make a pretty big resurgence once glasses-free is available to the masses. There were tons of glasses-free 3D screens at CES this year, and they all looked pretty amazing. No idea when they'll be consumer available, but I have to think UHD 3D is gonna be a buzz word sooner than later.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TitoXx - 2015-05-29

What about external storage? Can it be used for apps and app data?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Stereodude - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-28, 22:20)Tinwarble Wrote: Audio pass-through does not require a license since the device itself is not doing the decoding, which is the only case where a license is needed.
I don't think that's true. I believe the license for the decoding of the lesser formats precludes them from offering bitstreaming without also paying extra for that. If they decided to completely forgo licensing anything and use open source / free decoders they could do whatever they wanted. (and perhaps have lawyers chasing them around)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TitoXx - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 04:22)TitoXx Wrote: What about external storage? Can it be used for apps and app data?
Found the answer on GeForce forums.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nickr - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 04:41)TitoXx Wrote:
(2015-05-29, 04:22)TitoXx Wrote: What about external storage? Can it be used for apps and app data?
Found the answer on GeForce forums.
But aren't prepared to share it?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 04:24)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 22:20)Tinwarble Wrote: Audio pass-through does not require a license since the device itself is not doing the decoding, which is the only case where a license is needed.
I don't think that's true. I believe the license for the decoding of the lesser formats precludes them from offering bitstreaming without also paying extra for that. If they decided to completely forgo licensing anything and use open source / free decoders they could do whatever they wanted. (and perhaps have lawyers chasing them around)

That's true, if you have a license for, say DTS, you can decode it but you can't pass-through DTS-HD with a license. I'm not really sure how it works with DD, but I believe that because DTS is included in the core of DTS-HD, that they are very limiting as to what you can do.

However, that only applies to Nvidia, not to Kodi. Nvidia can't not, via their player, add pass-through if they have a license agreement for a lower format but not the greater. But since it does not require a codec to pass-through audio, and if the OS and SoC allow it, apps don't have to worry about the license agreement.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - chris00780 - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 04:54)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-05-29, 04:24)Stereodude Wrote:

That's true, if you have a license for, say DTS, you can decode it but you can't pass-through DTS-HD with a license. I'm not really sure how it works with DD, but I believe that because DTS is included in the core of DTS-HD, that they are very limiting as to what you can do.

However, that only applies to Nvidia, not to Kodi. Nvidia can't not, via their player, add pass-through if they have a license agreement for a lower format but not the greater. But since it does not require a codec to pass-through audio, and if the OS and SoC allow it, apps don't have to worry about the license agreement.
So does that mean the Kodi team will need to make a special android fork for this device that allows frame rate switching and DTS-MA and TrueHD pass through?

No, if it's possible then they'll just add what ever they need to in the mainline branch.

Kodi doesn't build special fork for specific devices.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - chris00780 - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 05:16)Tinwarble Wrote: No, if it's possible then they'll just add what ever they need to in the mainline branch.

Kodi doesn't build special forms for specific devices.

Even though not all android devices support frame rate switching or hd audio bit streaming?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ned Scott - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 05:49)chris00780 Wrote:
(2015-05-29, 05:16)Tinwarble Wrote: No, if it's possible then they'll just add what ever they need to in the mainline branch.

Kodi doesn't build special forms for specific devices.

Even though not all android devices support frame rate switching or hd audio bit streaming?

If I recall correctly, it was discussed a while ago and it was decided that it was okay to add in device-specific support for those things, so long as the long-term goal would be to switch to a standard API/method/whatever when those come around. This was because Android is still maturing from an HTPC standpoint.

But @ned, you're referring to a "hack" not a special Kodi fork........correct?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-05-29

Frame rate switching is a standard android feature on Android L. 4K is currently a hack for shield, but android M will bring standard support for it.

I'll link to a test apk later today and open a dev thread for shield today or tomorrow.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - shabuboy - 2015-05-29

A review from CNET if anyone cares...
http://www.cnet.com/products/nvidia-shield/