Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - david.kennedy - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 14:38)Lamm Wrote: Does it support HDMI 2.0a (HDR)?
I second this question but reading about LG and their OLED TVs they seem to think going from HDMI 2 to 2a will just be firmware update so maybe it's just the same for the Shield...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - lemkeant - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 15:41)Skank Wrote: Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through. Listen to high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB or HDMI.

-> A bit double, still no hd audio i assume?

I think so because the same dev who posted the release notes also said "We are evaluating both for a future OTA update for SHIELD Android TV." earlier today

By both he meant DTSHD and TrueHD. Sorry

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - iatacs19 - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 16:17)david.kennedy Wrote:
I second this question but reading about LG and their OLED TVs they seem to think going from HDMI 2 to 2a will just be firmware update so maybe it's just the same for the Shield...

Not out of the box, but it will via firmware update.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - frankiepoon - 2015-05-29

In Nvidia Specification Sheet given to anandtech, it claims that it support both HDR and BT.2020 Color:

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - frankiepoon - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 16:37)iatacs19 Wrote:

Not out of the box, but it will via firmware update.
Actually, both Sony and Panasonic need to upgrade their firmwares in order to support HDR.
Samsung is seems supporting it out of the box (In a taiwanese review, the new SUHD TV can play HDR Native 4K Movie - Life of PI)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-05-29

How many displays actually display HDR as HDR though, and have enough dynamic range to do so. I saw the Dolby HDR display playing Alexa-shot footage and it is amazing, but didn't think consumer displays were there yet?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - david.kennedy - 2015-05-29

Guess we won't know till July when the HDR standards are announced. Just a guess now how many devices will be able to meet the forthcoming standards. Not sure how Samsung can claim they already can meet the standards already but fair play if they think they have it covered.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-05-29

Didn't see a response to my post a page or two back. I will get the shield delivered today and wanted to ask what's the best way to install kodi on it. Adb or can it be done via browser or usb?

Thx for ur feedback

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-05-29

Adb, USB, microSD or if you can install it from the Play Store, ES File Explore (and download the apk to a share on a PC or NAS). There is no browse for Android TV (per Nvidia forum).

By the way, everyone will need to update their Shield day one.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836694/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-1-1-now-available-5-29-15-/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 21:47)Tinwarble Wrote: Adb, USB, microSD or if you can install it from the Play Store, ES File Explore (and download the apk to a share on a PC or NAS). There is no browse for Android TV (per Nvidia forum).

By the way, everyone will need to update their Shield day one.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836694/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-1-1-now-available-5-29-15-/

Cool, thanks for the response, Tinwarble.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hifiaudio2 - 2015-05-29

To be clear, and I think the Nvidia rep answered my same question in that thread just mentioned, but those of you on this board that got the Shield early were using the now *older* firmware, correct? You did not get a pre release of this Day 1 patch?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ganesh_AT - 2015-05-29

(2015-05-29, 22:12)hifiaudio2 Wrote: To be clear, and I think the Nvidia rep answered my same question in that thread just mentioned, but those of you on this board that got the Shield early were using the now *older* firmware, correct? You did not get a pre release of this Day 1 patch?

We got the patch on the day before the announcement. It does nothing of note for local media playback.. The relevant parts of the release notes:

(a) Adds 8-bit 4.2.0 color space support for 4K 60 FPS video : I didn't have trouble with the older firmware for this [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqZsTFw5Qg ] - maybe it was for a specific corner-case.

(b) Adds 3:2 pull down support for smooth 24 FPS video playback : Media enthusiasts will always be troubled by the 3:2 irregular cadence resulting in judder when playing on a 60 Hz display. Now, if they were to support 5:5 and 1080p @ 120 Hz (on a supported display), that would be something to write about Smile

Other stuff is for OTT playback.

"Now, if they were to support 5:5 and 1080p @ 120 Hz (on a supported display), that would be something to write about"

Heck yeah --- lets petition Nvidia and Google for that as well! Smile

I believe a breakout session at Google i/o about Android TV is about to start. Perhaps something new about the platform there?

EDIT - actually started at 3pm central. I guess I cannot get into it mid stream....

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-05-29