Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - SABERZAID - 2015-06-07

(2015-06-07, 11:00)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 10:18)SABERZAID Wrote: So on my kodi setting shall i change from hardware to software ? Or keep it as hardware ? What about amlogic 812 device if you compare it with chromebox i3 . And nvidia new box . 4k and 2k not important for now as i said cuz i dont hv 4k tv

If you select hardware and play content with a codec that your box can't decode in hardware, it will revert to software decoding. So you should be fine leaving your Intel NUC with hardware decoding enabled. Normally the default settings are good. There are exceptions to this rule, Intel boxes can't hardware decode 1080i VC-1 but can decode 1080p VC-1 - so you need to deselect VC-1 VAAPI if you have interlaced VC-1 content - usually TV series or concert Blu-rays.

If you have an i3 Chromebox and 4K isn't an issue for you, I doubt the Shield offers much to you. The Chromebox will do HD Audio bitstreaming and proper 23.976/24.000/50/59.94/60.00 frame rate switching, whereas the Shield doesn't bitstream HD Audio nor does it appear to do full refresh rate switching?

If your H265 content is within the CPU decode parameters of the i3 in the Chromebox you will be fine. (The Celeron Chromebox has more limitations in this regard than the i3 Model)

thanks bro

you said here :

If your H265 content is within the CPU decode parameters of the i3 in the Chromebox you will be fine. (The Celeron Chromebox has more limitations in this regard than the i3 Model)

so shall i order the celeron ver instead of intel i3 ? for feature plan etc, and who's better in terms of performance etc ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-07

(2015-06-07, 14:29)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 11:00)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 10:18)SABERZAID Wrote: So on my kodi setting shall i change from hardware to software ? Or keep it as hardware ? What about amlogic 812 device if you compare it with chromebox i3 . And nvidia new box . 4k and 2k not important for now as i said cuz i dont hv 4k tv

If you select hardware and play content with a codec that your box can't decode in hardware, it will revert to software decoding. So you should be fine leaving your Intel NUC with hardware decoding enabled. Normally the default settings are good. There are exceptions to this rule, Intel boxes can't hardware decode 1080i VC-1 but can decode 1080p VC-1 - so you need to deselect VC-1 VAAPI if you have interlaced VC-1 content - usually TV series or concert Blu-rays.

If you have an i3 Chromebox and 4K isn't an issue for you, I doubt the Shield offers much to you. The Chromebox will do HD Audio bitstreaming and proper 23.976/24.000/50/59.94/60.00 frame rate switching, whereas the Shield doesn't bitstream HD Audio nor does it appear to do full refresh rate switching?

thanks bro

you said here :

so shall i order the celeron ver instead of intel i3 ? for feature plan etc, and who's better in terms of performance etc ?

It all depends how important H265 content is to you. The Celeron Chromebox is great for non-HEVC content, and will play some with software decode, but the i3 model will do better with software decoding (i.e. cope with higher bitrate)

However I have not used a Chromebox i3 and can't comment on its relative value for money in comparison to other i3 boxes like a NUC etc.

I thought you already had an i3 Chromebox so must have been confused by one of your posts. I wasn't recommending buying the i3 Chromebox, just commenting that it might do relatively OK with software decode HEVC.

Personally I'd still not buy an Android box as my main HTPC because of the limitations that platform and the implementations on it seem to have.

This is quite off-topic for the nVidia thread though - I'd suggest you move your questions to another thread ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - SABERZAID - 2015-06-07

(2015-06-07, 14:44)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 14:29)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 11:00)noggin Wrote: If you select hardware and play content with a codec that your box can't decode in hardware, it will revert to software decoding. So you should be fine leaving your Intel NUC with hardware decoding enabled. Normally the default settings are good. There are exceptions to this rule, Intel boxes can't hardware decode 1080i VC-1 but can decode 1080p VC-1 - so you need to deselect VC-1 VAAPI if you have interlaced VC-1 content - usually TV series or concert Blu-rays.

thanks bro

you said here :

It all depends how important H265 content is to you. The Celeron Chromebox is great for non-HEVC content, and will play some with software decode, but the i3 model will do better with software decoding (i.e. cope with higher bitrate)

However I have not used a Chromebox i3 and can't comment on its relative value for money in comparison to other i3 boxes like a NUC etc.

I thought you already had an i3 Chromebox so must have been confused by one of your posts. I wasn't recommending buying the i3 Chromebox, just commenting that it might do relatively OK with software decode HEVC.

Personally I'd still not buy an Android box as my main HTPC because of the limitations that platform and the implementations on it seem to have.

yes i have chromebox with i3 and the new nuc device , and i want to buy another box for my other room , thats why i ask , the other room will watch movies, 3d via addons etc, so in this case what box is the best option , i3 or celeron ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - kenofstephen - 2015-06-07

Tegra 4 decodes video terribly, hope this X1 is improved.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-07

(2015-06-07, 18:30)kenofstephen Wrote: Tegra 4 decodes video terribly, hope this X1 is improved.

AIUI nVidia switched to their Desktop/Laptop range of GPUs with the Tegra K series, so you got a Kepler GPU in the K1 and now you get a Maxwell GPU in the X1. Unlike other SoCs I believe that the VPU is integrated with the GPU on nVidia SoCs - so the K1 and X1 should offer very decent video decode performance.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-06-08

(2015-06-07, 14:49)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 14:44)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 14:29)SABERZAID Wrote: thanks bro

you said here :

yes i have chromebox with i3 and the new nuc device , and i want to buy another box for my other room , thats why i ask , the other room will watch movies, 3d via addons etc, so in this case what box is the best option , i3 or celeron ?
Please stop hijacking other peoples threads
Look I'm not picking on you, but seriously what the hell does this have to do with the NVIDIA Shield now ?
Please start a New thread in the hardware section and ask this same question.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - essential - 2015-06-08

Does anyone have a Ceton tuner? If so does it work at all with the Live Channels app or the HDHomeRun app? I'm curious to see if it'll recognize any network tuner or if it's locked to HDHomeRun. I have a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH that I have yet to open, and if it's verified it doesn't work with the Shield I'll likely sell it and buy a HDHomeRun tuner, which sucks because I'd have to buy two 3-tuner devices to match the Ceton. I plan on replacing my DVR's with 500gb Shields if they allow recording to the 500GB harddrive through the LiveChannels/HDHomeRun apps ... just hoping it also works with the Ceton.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hifiaudio2 - 2015-06-08

Update from my Amazon review of the Shield:

Hi,
We currently support hardware decode of VP9, H.264, and H.265. We will expose our MPEG-2 hardware engine to Android TV apps in an update this month. It will be up to app developers to design apps to take advantage of our MPEG-2 acceleration.
We will also be adding pass-through support for Dolby HD and DTS HD MA audio codecs in a future update. We also appreciate your feature request for 23.976 playback support and are considering adding support for it. We do provide frequent Software Upgrades on SHIELD products so you can expect features and functionality to expand over the upcoming months.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-06-08

We already knew that Wink
Though we probably need some adjustments on Kodi side as well for that.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-06-08

I believe Koying said they don't support 59.94 either so that's something we should be requested too. I PM'd one of the forum mods on Nvidia's support site and requested, better deinterlacing, and all the other stuff as well but he never responded.

(2015-06-08, 21:13)Martijn Wrote: We already knew that Wink
Though we probably need some adjustments on Kodi side as well for that.

Sneaky. Martijn, do you know if they will/do support any better deinterlacing? Aside from the need for live TV I have a few h264 1080i documentaries and they look a little choppy in Kodi and the only deinterlacing options are bob/inverse.

(2015-06-08, 16:32)essential Wrote: Does anyone have a Ceton tuner? If so does it work at all with the Live Channels app or the HDHomeRun app? I'm curious to see if it'll recognize any network tuner or if it's locked to HDHomeRun. I have a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH that I have yet to open, and if it's verified it doesn't work with the Shield I'll likely sell it and buy a HDHomeRun tuner, which sucks because I'd have to buy two 3-tuner devices to match the Ceton. I plan on replacing my DVR's with 500gb Shields if they allow recording to the 500GB harddrive through the LiveChannels/HDHomeRun apps ... just hoping it also works with the Ceton.

I don't own a Ceton but I can say there is no way it will work with the HDHomeRun app (or that app's service that is used by Live Channels). Silicondust makes the HDHomerun tuners and the app for their tuners. I don't think they are going to support a competitors product.

I just hope "We do provide frequent Software Upgrades on SHIELD products so you can expect features and functionality to expand over the upcoming months" does not mean that I will be waiting months for lossless audio or 23.976 support!

Re: RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nickr - 2015-06-08

(2015-06-08, 21:21)hifiaudio2 Wrote: I just hope "We do provide frequent Software Upgrades on SHIELD products so you can expect features and functionality to expand over the upcoming months" does not mean that I will be waiting months for lossless audio or 23.976 support!

In any event never buy a tech product based on what the developers promise will be available in the future.

True... unless you are willing to just mess around with it and be happy! Smile - I have other means to play my media.... but certainly am hoping this becomes the one stop shop for it all.