Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-06-10

(2015-06-10, 06:32)Tinwarble Wrote: As far as I know Remote Management isn't enabled on the Shield. ......................

Thanks, I won’t waste my time trying any more then. For whatever reason I thought the only way to navigate to the hidden folder location was via ftp. Probably because I know less than Jon Snow, and someone said that was how you access that area. I will try either or way you suggested, it is easy to put them on my NAS which is where all the media is so already shared. I did actually look at LAN last night, not sure what happened, but it didn’t look good at the time. Always USB to fall back on.
Thanks again.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ned Scott - 2015-06-10

Ah, weird, I never noticed that, haha. It still seems strange that it would make a difference for pairing, but then again, stranger things have happened.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-06-10

(2015-06-10, 06:32)Tinwarble Wrote: If you need to copy the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml to the Shield, just copy them to a share folder, then from the Shield use ES and select LAN, then Scan for your shares or manual input the your shares IP.
Navigate to where the files are located and select the first file, press an hold the OK/Select button until the first one has a check mark, then select the next file. Select Copy, then in ES navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ and the Paste.

This worked thanks. I had to enter the NAS's IP as scan gave me no result. Also had to go to ES settings and turn on Show Hidden Files of course.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pedromvu - 2015-06-11

Not sure if this issue has been mentioned, but seems like a bug:

When i select a video file that contains AAC multichannel audio, my receiver changes to PCM and it plays fine, but if i stop that file, the receiver doesn't revert back and now every file i play sounds like noise because my receiver isn't switching, it can be fixed if i go into Youtube and play something though.

I played several files and the only one causing the issue is the one with AAC multichannel, i have one with AAC stereo and that doesn't cause the issue.

Edit: I was basing in what Kodi says, but now that i checked the media info, it seems the one causing the issue has profile HE-AAC and the other is LC-AAC.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Nekromantik - 2015-06-11

Are people here satified that for 2160 hevc files @ 60fps Shield is the way to go?
As Chromebox and current NUCs cant support full hardware decode of 4k hevc?
Braswell will add hardware hevc but is the extra cost justified to get rid of Android from the equation?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-06-11

(2015-06-11, 14:04)Nekromantik Wrote: Are people here satified that for 2160 hevc files @ 60fps Shield is the way to go?
As Chromebox and current NUCs cant support full hardware decode of 4k hevc?
Braswell will add hardware hevc but is the extra cost justified to get rid of Android from the equation?

Why would you want to get rid of Android? If Nvidia follows through with the community requests it could be a chromebox+other apps to make an almost all in one solution (no blu ray drive of course).

Main reason people prefer Chromebox over ARM is due to Android and its limitations with Video Playback.
23.976 was android limitation and had to be hacked in by devs.
I prefer a full OpenELEC or Linux environment.

(2015-06-11, 14:21)Nekromantik Wrote: Main reason people prefer Chromebox over ARM is due to Android and its limitations with Video Playback.
23.976 was android limitation and had to be hacked in by devs.
I prefer a full OpenELEC or Linux environment.

Did you miss the last two weeks where people have been badgering Nvidia to add things? That's not to say they will all be in there but Nvidia has been responsive and the devs around here have been cryptically positive. Also a hack is only a solution that isn't as pretty as a dev would intend it, which is what all codebases degenerate to until they are refactored.

Android is a linux environment but without the limitation of other companies not supporting it. See Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. Also it is nice to have the option for Google Play or Vudu.

Your best bet is to wait and see since nothing you want is out yet.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-06-11

Some folks' anti- Android TV bias is ridiculous. While it is not perfect, there have been several indications that Nvidia is working on the issues.

Even Kodi's linux ports never had all the features it does today without such enhancements. Its part of the process and in due time, Android will get there too. Simply abandoning it is not the answer. Android has a lot of other good applications as well and I look forward to the day when Kodi on Android is as good as the Linux port.

I am sure it is not entirely out of the realms of possibility.

Ok so in terms of Android Boxes that can do 4k 24fps HEVC @ 23.976, whats better MiniX X8 H Plus or Shield?
Ignoring the HDMI 2.0 in shield.
Main thing is kodi support.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-06-11

I confirm next week's update will bring h/w accelerated mpeg2 WITH nice and proper de-interlacing Smile

(2015-06-11, 20:28)Koying Wrote: I confirm next week's update will bring h/w accelerated mpeg2 WITH nice and proper de-interlacing Smile

Wow. Thanks Koying!

So we are just 3 refresh rates and HD decoding/bitstreaming away from chrombox++ at this point then?

Edit: And will that deinterlacing be good for h264 as well?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - movie78 - 2015-06-11

(2015-06-11, 20:30)drhill Wrote:
(2015-06-11, 20:28)Koying Wrote: I confirm next week's update will bring h/w accelerated mpeg2 WITH nice and proper de-interlacing Smile

Wow. Thanks Koying!

So we are just 3 refresh rates and HD decoding/bitstreaming away from chrombox++ at this point then?

Once that is achieve, i will part ways with my chromebox

(2015-06-11, 20:32)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-06-11, 20:30)drhill Wrote:

Wow. Thanks Koying!

Once that is achieve, i will part ways with my chromebox

I'll have to figure out how to make it a chromebox again. I miss having that in the study.

Re: RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-06-11

Hey I've got that too Wink