Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Brewster201 - 2015-06-18

I noticed the Tunein radio app is a little different
Is there a way to log in to my Tunein radio account so I can access the favourites?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - loekf - 2015-06-18

(2015-06-16, 21:36)Nekromantik Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 21:26)Blurayx Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 21:01)Nekromantik Wrote: I'm in UK lol chose second fastest shipping so should be with me by this time next week.
I'm also from the UK Smile. Ordered from Amazon.
Amazon only place to get it in UK other then ebay. Hopefully it takes 4 days without customs delays.

There are stories on a forum in the Netherlands that you don't have to pay the import duties/taxes. Amazon is returning them.
So the total costs are ~200 dollar/euros.

I'm getting mine next week as well.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-06-18

So was checking out the keyboard shortcuts for Nvidia in order to program my FLIRC and wanted to share a few 'findings" I dont know if this is already out there there or not.

1. ALT-TAB is the round circular "home" button on the controller. Takes you out of Kodi, back to Shield Home screen.

2. Windows key ON THE KEYBOARD brings up the Google search bar

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Nekromantik - 2015-06-18

(2015-06-18, 14:30)loekf Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 21:36)Nekromantik Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 21:26)Blurayx Wrote: I'm also from the UK Smile. Ordered from Amazon.
Amazon only place to get it in UK other then ebay. Hopefully it takes 4 days without customs delays.

There are stories on a forum in the Netherlands that you don't have to pay the import duties/taxes. Amazon is returning them.
So the total costs are ~200 dollar/euros.

I'm getting mine next week as well.

Im having a hard time with my order, first order was sent back to Amazon for no reason so they upgraded me to priority shipping and have $30 refund and then cancelled the order and then I had to ask for third replacement order which should be shipped today arriving by next Wednesday.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - rodalpho - 2015-06-18

Big difference from amazon and nVidia. Amazon bans Kodi entirely, nVidia features it in their update. I know which I would support, even though the Shield is twice the price.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hifiaudio2 - 2015-06-18

Yes the collaboration between Kodi and Nvidia has been awesome. If Nvidia continues along this path and gives us the additional features we have all been asking for, its really going to be a world beater.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-06-18

Nvidia PQ has always been the best one around. When I first got my Shield, I did not use the HDMI 2.0 cable provided since my old one was already attached to the TV. Last night, I finally got around to using it and I was amazed at the improvement in the PQ.

It has been a wonderful product. FireTV is not bat all, but Nvidia really hit it out of the park. No funny business of sideloading Kodi. Works out of the box. Hope they put the other fixes in and can get it to bit stream. This thing will rule the living room for years to come.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - oWarchild - 2015-06-18

(2015-06-01, 04:53)Ganesh_AT Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 04:39)watchgintama Wrote: Does it support 1080p Hi10p files? Considering getting one for anime

Nope (for now). Hardware support is there, but not on the NVIDIA firmware side.

10-bit support is only there for HEVC at this moment.

Sorry to unearth this but this got me confused. My impression from reading threads here is that H264 Hi10p content is always software decoded. So, is it the case that the SHIELD's CPU doesn't have enough oomph to decode 1080p H264 Hi10p or is something missing (perhaps on the firmware side?) to make this possible?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - rjadotte001 - 2015-06-19

Hi, I am planning to get the Nvidia Shield but I need someone to run a test on this Big Buck Bunny file and let me know how this video plays in Kodi with DTS/DolbyDigital/pass-through on.
1) Any sync issue with the video/audio?
2) Any drop frame?
3) Any freeze on the video or audio ?
4) Do you actually get DTS/DolbyDigital on your AVR?

Another question, since the Sheild doesnt have a SPDIF out, what is the best solution to get the Digital audio out to my AVR without using HDMI?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Skank - 2015-06-19

(2015-06-18, 19:32)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Yes the collaboration between Kodi and Nvidia has been awesome. If Nvidia continues along this path and gives us the additional features we have all been asking for, its really going to be a world beater.

that includes passthrough for dts-hd, dolby true hd , atmos, dts X: auro 3d and even 3d iso support in kodi !

Then yes, i'll buy one

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-19

(2015-06-18, 19:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Nvidia PQ has always been the best one around. When I first got my Shield, I did not use the HDMI 2.0 cable provided since my old one was already attached to the TV. Last night, I finally got around to using it and I was amazed at the improvement in the PQ.

Err - are you serious? There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable - the standard hasn't changed. Unless you had errors in your signal (visible as small dots or drop outs) with your old cable then your picture quality can't have changed unless you also changed resolution. HDMI is a digital signal, if there aren't errors, then a $1 cable will deliver identical pictures to a $99 cable or a $999 cable. There has been no requirement to change cables with the HDMI 2.0 standard.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mdfwrestler - 2015-06-19

Audio by any other means is my remaining issue.

All my equipment is in a central hub with my main 4k TV 30 meters away.

Obviously I cannot locate the Shield in the hub due to signal loss of 4K material over 30mtrs.

So, the Shield has to go behind the TV using Shield's only HDMI connector for Video....but I need to run audio back to my AV receiver in the hub (using my existing 30mtr HDMI lead)

The spes show however that audio passthrough is also support via USB. Having never used USB audio before is it just a case of getting a usb>hdmi cable?

I've had a search and found a StarTech Passive Micro USB to HDMI MHL Cable (MHDPMM3M) – is this suitable and would this setup be compatible with Kodi?

Cheers.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-19

(2015-06-19, 10:38)mdfwrestler Wrote: The spes show however that audio passthrough is also support via USB. Having never used USB audio before is it just a case of getting a usb>hdmi cable?

I suspect that this means that it will support passthrough if you use an external USB audio output device - though presumably only some devices will have driver support in Android? This is effectively connecting a USB sound card (could be a small dongle-sized device) or a high quality USB DAC to your Shield to allow for external audio conversion to analogue or Toslink/SPDIF.

It's not just a cable, and wouldn't be equipped with an HDMI port, more likely to be RCA analogue stereo, RCA Coax SPDIF or a Toslink SPDIF optical output.

Quote:I've had a search and found a StarTech Passive Micro USB to HDMI MHL Cable (MHDPMM3M) – is this suitable and would this setup be compatible with Kodi?

Cheers.

That will depend whether the nVidia Shield supports MHL or not. MHL is a way of carrying HDMI video over a physical USB Connection, but doesn't use the USB standard to carry video. When an MHL connector is plugged in to a source, it detects that it is an MHL not USB cable and switches the port electronically to carry a version of HDMI. However I believe that unless a conversion dongle is used at the other end then an MHL-compatible HDMI input must be used at the other end?

I did a quick google and it suggests that the Shield doesn't have MHL because it has HDMI. You normally find MHL on devices that don't have a separate HDMI output - as it is a way of combining USB and HDMI connectivity on a single connector.

There is a third solution. You could look at HDMI audio extractors. These take HDMI in, strip out the audio for output as analogue or Toslink audio, and then output the HDMI for your display. However you'd need to find a solution to get the audio back to your amp, and I'm not sure either coax or Toslink travel easily over 30 metres, so you might need to use an active solution to extend your range? (There are solutions to carry digital audio over distances via Cat 5 or similar - but you are going to end up with lots of extra devices by your TV if you go down that route?)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ankurs - 2015-06-19

(2015-06-17, 17:32)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2015-06-17, 17:20)ankurs Wrote: does bittorrent android app get installed on this ? or sideloaded ?

was thinking to 500gb one if bittorrent app works

Might be a question for the Nvidia forum. This is not a Kodi related deal so I doubt you will get any answer here.

tried asking there, no reply Confused

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mdfwrestler - 2015-06-19

Noggin – Thanks for an excellent reply, maybe not what I was hoping for but at least I learned something.

Plenty to consider and I’ll look into your suggested alternatives.

Thanks again!