Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-21

(2015-06-21, 03:06)artou Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 02:03)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 01:36)artou Wrote: Can anybody please confirm if Nvidia Shield plays in 3D, SBS and HOU files? I want to get rid of a VidOn box but couldn't find any reference to 3D at Nvidia site

Full res SBS or half-res? Half-res SBS is identical to 2D 1080p so as long as the UI renders properly in Kodi (which is a function of Kodi) I'd expect HSBS stuff to play fine (to the player hardware it's identical to 2D 1080p content)

Half will be Ok already as it put Shield at same lever of other boxes. I would expect it to play HSBS/HOU too but no mention about 3D capabilities is kind of strange coming from Nvidia

As far as player hardware is concerned HSBS is identical to 2D 1080p. As for 3D - it's kind of dying isn't it ? I'm not surprised nVidia don't mention it. There isn't really a source of online streaming 3D movies is there - and I doubt they are going to push 3D gaming. The only real application of 3D I can think of these days is Virtual Reality - and that kind of has different requirements to 3D TV viewing?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-06-21

HSBS, HOU, full SBS, full OU 3D plays fine on SATV. For full SBS & OU, you may have to adjust the file header, otherwise you may end up with a vertically/horizontally compressed picture. While my Sony TV has no problem, Epson projector will not display these videos properly.. It plays fine on the Epson projector also.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TwistedisAGod - 2015-06-21

(2015-06-17, 16:21)Koying Wrote: It's sad that it doesn't come pre-installed? Seriously?

No sry the quote didn't get attached. I was replying to the 10bit anime playing post. As of right now i have to use plex to play my 10bit anime files on my aftv.

.mkv
AVC High [email protected]
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
23.976 fps
x264

from what i read in this fourm these files won't play properly . That is what i thought was sad. I was ready to hit buy now. Big Grin

(2015-06-18, 21:17)oWarchild Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 04:53)Ganesh_AT Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 04:39)watchgintama Wrote: Does it support 1080p Hi10p files? Considering getting one for anime

Nope (for now). Hardware support is there, but not on the NVIDIA firmware side.

10-bit support is only there for HEVC at this moment.

Sorry to unearth this but this got me confused. My impression from reading threads here is that H264 Hi10p content is always software decoded. So, is it the case that the SHIELD's CPU doesn't have enough oomph to decode 1080p H264 Hi10p or is something missing (perhaps on the firmware side?) to make this possible?

Now I'm really confused also. Can anyone test and let us know one way or another. I am considering getting a pro version but if it cant handle these files it's kinda a waste.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pedromvu - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-21, 15:55)TwistedisAGod Wrote: .mkv
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
23.976 fps
x264

from what i read in this fourm these files won't play properly . That is what i thought was sad. I was ready to hit buy now. Big Grin

I don't think that is correct, the only videos i believe would have problems on Nvidia Shield via Kodi are

23.976 fps (one frame repeating around every 42 seconds)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - artou - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-21, 09:56)noggin Wrote: As far as player hardware is concerned HSBS is identical to 2D 1080p. As for 3D - it's kind of dying isn't it ? I'm not surprised nVidia don't mention it. There isn't really a source of online streaming 3D movies is there - and I doubt they are going to push 3D gaming. The only real application of 3D I can think of these days is Virtual Reality - and that kind of has different requirements to 3D TV viewing?

3D movies dying? Hmmm..I don't think so, I guess ~50% of "action/sci-fi" movies gets a 3D version, although and unfortunately most of them converted. In the case of 3D streaming I don't see any chances. But for 3D gaming I think Nvidia should still start promoting games for the Shield, it would be strange if they don't do that with the new bunch of display devices they will get access with the Shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - artou - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-21, 11:14)wesk05 Wrote: HSBS, HOU, full SBS, full OU 3D plays fine on SATV. For full SBS & OU, you may have to adjust the file header, otherwise you may end up with a vertically/horizontally compressed picture. While my Sony TV has no problem, Epson projector will not display these videos properly.

Hi wesk05, your projector doesn't display correctly the full versions of 3D files only or HSBS/HOU too? I already have a problem with VidOn that doesn't like my Optoma projector playing 3D through a receiver Tongue

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-22, 02:57)artou Wrote: Hi wesk05, your projector doesn't display correctly the full versions of 3D files only or HSBS/HOU too? I already have a problem with VidOn that doesn't like my Optoma projector playing 3D through a receiver Tongue

I checked again today and all four formats worked fine on the Epson projector. Yesterday night, I might have mixed up the 3D glasses. I had to manually select the 3D mode on the TV and projector. I guess that applies to Kodi 3D playback on all platforms.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-22, 04:44)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-22, 02:57)artou Wrote: Hi wesk05, your projector doesn't display correctly the full versions of 3D files only or HSBS/HOU too? I already have a problem with VidOn that doesn't like my Optoma projector playing 3D through a receiver Tongue

I checked again today and all four formats worked fine on the Epson projector. Yesterday night, I might have mixed up the 3D glasses. I had to manually select the 3D mode on the TV and projector. I guess that applies to Kodi 3D playback on all platforms.

The Raspberry Pi 2 will output frame packed 3D and flag it correctly when playing MVC content. It also correctly flags and triggers SBS and OU (or it may be HSBS and HOU) over HDMI as well I think - which was real surprise. This is from Kodi internally and not using an external player.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-06-22

People using the WMC PVR add-on should install the nightly build

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-22, 07:20)noggin Wrote: The Raspberry Pi 2 will output frame packed 3D and flag it correctly when playing MVC content. It also correctly flags and triggers SBS and OU (or it may be HSBS and HOU) over HDMI as well I think - which was real surprise. This is from Kodi internally and not using an external player.
It didn't work for me with milhouse's build #620. 3D mode on TV was triggered only for full SBS/OU, but the signal was never locked. TV kept switching between "no signal" and "3D signal detected". I will give it a try with a stable build and also with 3D MVC.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TwistedisAGod - 2015-06-22

(2015-06-01, 04:53)Ganesh_AT Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 04:39)watchgintama Wrote: Does it support 1080p Hi10p files? Considering getting one for anime

Nope (for now). Hardware support is there, but not on the NVIDIA firmware side.

10-bit support is only there for HEVC at this moment.

(2015-06-22, 02:10)pedromvu Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 15:55)TwistedisAGod Wrote: .mkv
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
23.976 fps
x264

from what i read in this forum these files won't play properly . That is what i thought was sad. I was ready to hit buy now. Big Grin

I don't think that is correct, the only videos i believe would have problems on Nvidia Shield via Kodi are

23.976 fps (one frame repeating around every 42 seconds)

That is exactly what they are... Are u agreeing that they will not play properly?

(2015-06-22, 02:51)artou Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 09:56)noggin Wrote: As far as player hardware is concerned HSBS is identical to 2D 1080p. As for 3D - it's kind of dying isn't it ? I'm not surprised nVidia don't mention it. There isn't really a source of online streaming 3D movies is there - and I doubt they are going to push 3D gaming. The only real application of 3D I can think of these days is Virtual Reality - and that kind of has different requirements to 3D TV viewing?

3D movies dying? Hmmm..I don't think so, I guess ~50% of "action/sci-fi" movies gets a 3D version, although and unfortunately most of them converted. In the case of 3D streaming I don't see any chances. But for 3D gaming I think Nvidia should still start promoting games for the Shield, it would be strange if they don't do that with the new bunch of display devices they will get access with the Shield.

Certainly 3D TV is dying. Sky have finally closed their 3D channel in the UK and have stopped production of 3D sporting coverage. They now release some 3D movies via their on-demand service (which is broadcast quality 1080i progressive download, not streaming)

Sure - some movies are made in 3D (or converted to 3D) and get Blu-ray release - but TV marketing seems to be all about 4K (which in some cases gives you a full HD passive 3D option - which is quite nice) and less and less about 3D. It doesn't seem to have taken hold massively in the consumer space in the same way it has in cinemas (to a degree)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - muheeb - 2015-06-22

can you anyone shed some light on this issue?

I've contacted Sheild android TV since the specs says that it supports HD audio, but the notes in wiki says that this is a known issue, it cannot do HD audio passthrough
---qoute
HD audio, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD & Dolby Atoms can not be passed through/bitstreamed, nor can those formats be software decoded and output as multichannel PCM (at this time). However, DTS (core from DTS-HD MA) and DD 5.1(AC3) can be passed through/bitstreamed or software decoded and output as multichannel PCM
----unqoute
http://kodi.wiki/view/Nvidia_SHIELD_Android_TV

so this is a limitation on Kodi's development? if this is true can someone tell us if this will ever be supported or not?

AIUI the hardware supports it but the nVidia firmware/Android implementation doesn't currently - rather than Kodi not supporting it?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Nekromantik - 2015-06-22

Anyone here running this in 4k res got issues with Kodi and 24hz switching?
I have it to switch on start and stop in Kodi and when I play a file my TV switches to 1080 24hz and then goes back to 4k 60.
However in 1080p mode, it always switches to either 30 or 24hz.