Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - honguy - 2015-08-21

(2015-08-21, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: Shield TV is basically a more powerful Fire TV with Google's Android TV interface vs. Amazon's customized Android interface. If you can afford it, I'd get it over FTV. But, Amazon is rumored to release new Fire TV Stick and box shortly (by the Fall).

Also with Shield TV, nVidia could very well expand codec support (especially HD audio) and possibly 23.976 not too long from now. See this.

Thanks for your quick reply ! Even though if Amazon releases its Second gen FTV its decision not to support Kodi makes it underwhelming to wait for it or buy it. I suspect if Amazon would add any better hardware then nVidia Shield TV. But you never know !! At this point I don't know how much will it matter to me as nVidia is not having support for HD audio and possibly 23.976 . I use a VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Sound bar with Samsung Plasma 64'' TV

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-08-21

What Amazon has done with Kodi is unfortunate (easy placating to Hollywood studios), but you can still use Kodi on FTV and place an icon on the home screen.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Skank - 2015-08-21

(2015-08-21, 15:37)Skank Wrote:
(2015-08-21, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: Shield TV is basically a more powerful Fire TV with Google's Android TV interface vs. Amazon's customized Android interface. If you can afford it, I'd get it over FTV. But, Amazon is rumored to release new Fire TV Stick and box shortly (by the Fall).

Also with Shield TV, nVidia could very well expand codec support (especially HD audio) and possibly 23.976 not too long from now. See this.

And how about 3d iso mvc support?

@hdmkv

3D MVC/ISO support would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll probably get HD audio and maybe 23.976 with their 2.0 update.

mm someone asked or they commented about 3d mvc iso support?

Yep, a couple of times in this thread at their forum. I think the H/W can support it.

cool lets hope so
is there some sort of list what 2.0 will have?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-08-21

Nope, with the exception of a couple things like being able to copy to external storage all that they've said is that 2.0 will be a big update.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - inestima - 2015-08-22

@noggin I can't pm you but have a side question- can 120hz tvs actually play 23.976fps correctly? Do they adjust to 119.88hz (x5)?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-08-22

(2015-08-22, 12:27)inestima Wrote: @noggin I can't pm you but have a side question- can 120hz tvs actually play 23.976fps correctly? Do they adjust to 119.88hz (x5)?

That's my understanding. As far as I know 24.000 vs 23.976Hz are so close that they lock to either vertical sync with no problems.

Given that all "60Hz" broadcast TV in North America is 59.94Hz, then they are probably running at 119.88Hz pretty much all the time. The only time they would need to run at 120Hz is on the rare occasion a (mainly European) 24.000Hz Blu-ray is being played?

(23.976Hz is entirely a function of the US TV industry. NTSC used to be 60Hz when it was black and white, but when colour was introduced, they were worried that the colour subcarrier would interfere with the FM carrier used to carry the audio. As the colour subcarrier is locked to the line rate, they needed to alter the line rate to avoid this. The number of lines were fixed at 525 (total) so they had to alter the field/frame rate to alter the line rate - and so ended up at 59.94Hz. This meant that "24fps" film shot for TV purposes was shot at 23.976Hz to deliver 59.94Hz after 3:2 pulldown. The 59.94 field/frame rate remained for HDTV - to allow for up- and down-conversion to 59.94Hz SD. The original Japanese standard was 60.000Hz and the up and down-converters had to drop frames - usually on cuts if possible - to get to 59.94Hz for SD)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-08-23

(2015-08-21, 14:31)honguy Wrote: It's hard to decide between Nvidia shield tv or minix NEO X8H Plus or razor Forge TV or any other high performance device.

The Razor Forge has been a huge disappointment for everyone. It sits in an ugly price point of more than a Nexus Player, but less than a Shield, but with far lower specs than a Shield. There were a lot of complaints about what is has missing (eg Netflix etc..) on release, no idea if anything has been fixed as the 3 threads I follow with it have been dormant for ages. Here is the Kodi thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225153&highlight=forge only 2 pages long.
The Minix is only running Android 4.4.2, and the first thing that killed it for me was that it can't display Netflix in HD let alone any other issues it has.
I also have a Nexus Player, the Shield leaves it for dead, so it should, it costs a lot more.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - honguy - 2015-08-23

(2015-08-23, 02:38)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2015-08-21, 14:31)honguy Wrote: It's hard to decide between Nvidia shield tv or minix NEO X8H Plus or razor Forge TV or any other high performance device.

The Razor Forge has been a huge disappointment for everyone. It sits in an ugly price point of more than a Nexus Player, but less than a Shield, but with far lower specs than a Shield. There were a lot of complaints about what is has missing (eg Netflix etc..) on release, no idea if anything has been fixed as the 3 threads I follow with it have been dormant for ages. Here is the Kodi thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225153&highlight=forge only 2 pages long.
The Minix is only running Android 4.4.2, and the first thing that killed it for me was that it can't display Netflix in HD let alone any other issues it has.
I also have a Nexus Player, the Shield leaves it for dead, so it should, it costs a lot more.

Thanks Hopho. So in other words do you mean that nVIDIA Shield is the best option at this point ??

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sandogo1 - 2015-08-23

I had the MINIX x8h plus and the shield is the better of the 2

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - honguy - 2015-08-23

Thanks sandogo1!! That helps me make a decision.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hifiaudio2 - 2015-08-23

What Android specific fix is being referenced in the change notes for the latest Kodi update in the play store for the Shield?