Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-10-08

You should be calibrating your display. Not your output devices

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - foghat - 2015-10-08

Has anyone simply tried ripping the hd audio to flac instead? It should work no problem with the shield, I imagine. No need for nightlies, if that isn't your thing. I used to use flac all the time many years ago when bit streaming hd audio was in its infancy and, frankly, a pain to get working properly and consistently. Will probably just make a flac version of my rips until hd bitstream is supported in the 'regular' release.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wolfbiker - 2015-10-08

(2015-10-08, 03:16)drhill Wrote: You should be calibrating your display. Not your output devices

I like to crank my sharpness beyond the (insignificant) amount that my display allows.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - frenshprince - 2015-10-08

(2015-10-07, 14:58)ScottAllyn01 Wrote:
(2015-10-07, 13:46)frenshprince Wrote: Good to know, thank you Smile

So two more Big Grin

1) Can we change/add Kodi shortcuts Keyboard ?

2) I only have a Harmony remote IR, and as you know, some buttons don't work.
And especialy one very important : Contextual menu (X on pad, C on keyboard).
Is there something I can do about that ?

Thanks Smile

Assuming that the IR signals are being received by the Shield, you should be able to use the Keymap Editor plugin in Kodi to map those buttons to whatever function(s) you want. If that doesn't work, you can snag one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY

That remote works flawlessly in both the Shield UI and Kodi. Use your Harmony to learn all of the buttons from that Remote, then use Keymap Editor (and/or tweak the userdata/keymap .xml files) to configure the buttons to do whatever you like; this is the route that I went with my URC remote. The little IR receiver that comes with the remote I linked above is very responsive. I don't have any Harmony remotes anymore to test this with (former 880, One, and 900 user), but there's no reason for it not to work.
Thanks for the tip Wink

The first one doesn't work, since the IR signals are not received by the shield.
So I ordered the MCE remote, and will let this topic know how it worksSmile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-10-08

(2015-10-08, 12:15)wolfbiker Wrote:
(2015-10-08, 03:16)drhill Wrote: You should be calibrating your display. Not your output devices

I like to crank my sharpness beyond the (insignificant) amount that my display allows.

In most cases the proper setting for a TV's sharpness is 0. Anything else introduces artifacts that aren't inherent to the source material. Sharpness is an antiquated setting from analog tv days. By upping that setting you are making it "worse". Obviously if you think its better have a ball, but it seems like a false reason to avoid the Shield.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-10-08

(2015-10-07, 13:46)frenshprince Wrote: Good to know, thank you Smile

So two more Big Grin

1) Can we change/add Kodi shortcuts Keyboard ?

2) I only have a Harmony remote IR, and as you know, some buttons don't work.
And especialy one very important : Contextual menu (X on pad, C on keyboard).
Is there something I can do about that ?

Thanks Smile
The obvious thing to do would be to reprogram the Harmony with the Harmony Software, as a MCE remote control and make sure every button is assigned to some sort of function. Even if some of the functions do not make sense. Each button assignment should be different from the rest.

Then download the KeyMap add-on Editor:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

and reassign those button to any function you want. Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wolfbiker - 2015-10-09

(2015-10-08, 13:00)drhill Wrote:
(2015-10-08, 12:15)wolfbiker Wrote:

In most cases the proper setting for a TV's sharpness is 0. Anything else introduces artifacts that aren't inherent to the source material. Sharpness is an antiquated setting from analog tv days. By upping that setting you are making it "worse". Obviously if you think its better have a ball, but it seems like a false reason to avoid the Shield.

Yeah, I get that, but as you know, how something looks is subjective, and regardless of whether you think it should be at zero, I like to crank it up and give it an artificially sharp look. Blasphemy. So, that's why I'm keeping my HTPC and not buying a Shield. I tried one of those Darbee Darblets but those look like complete dogshit compared to the sharpness setting of Kodi.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-10-09

I have a Darby on my Sony 55es. My calibrator only set it to 5 to better create a look of a dlp as lcos are a tad softer. Actually looks aren't subjective. Most people want to recreate the source as close as possible. Flaws and all, but its your money so you better be happy with it. Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wolfbiker - 2015-10-09

Hmm, I'd say looks ARE subjective. How sharp I like mine probably looks like shit to your eyes, but it does not to mine. Whether or not is faithful to the source doesn't matter to me. Agree to disagree!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-10-09

Two questions, using the latest Jarvis nightly:
- Is there any way with the nVidia Remote or a CEC Remote to see the CodecInfo overlay on video? For the CEC remote, does it make sense to do something with the remote.xml?
- what about full frame 3D (MVC) like the RPi does?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-10-09

(2015-10-09, 03:10)wolfbiker Wrote: Hmm, I'd say looks ARE subjective. How sharp I like mine probably looks like shit to your eyes, but it does not to mine. Whether or not is faithful to the source doesn't matter to me. Agree to disagree!

Definitely disagree! Sharpness controls mask high frequency picture detail, so by cranking up the sharpness you are reducing the amount of detail you can see in your video. If you crank it up too much you effectively reduce HD to SD.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Jhey - 2015-10-09

Thinking of buying one of these, the 16gb model and buy a separate USB hdd as I can get a bigger HDD for the money than the 500gb model.

Are these one of the best TV boxes for Kodi? Was looking at Windows/Android Tablets before but looking to do Hevc 4k Etc

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - RockerC - 2015-10-09

(2015-10-09, 09:58)querty1000 Wrote: Two questions, using the latest Jarvis nightly:
- Is there any way with the nVidia Remote or a CEC Remote to see the CodecInfo overlay on video?
- what about full frame 3D (MVC) like the RPi does?
No and no, but it could possible have in the future if you post your requests to Nvidia here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/883060/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-feature-request-2-0-/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koskis - 2015-10-09

Can i use pvr dongle with nvidia shield?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - knives of ice - 2015-10-09

with the latest jarvis builds is there anything different we need to do when manually loading a skin?

i tried to run Aeon Madnox which has to be done maually. it loads just fine, but when kodi is rebooted it will not load at all just a black screen. as soon as it is removed all is well again. just not sure what the problem is since it works fine on jarvis on my openelec chromebox. i know some skin settings are moved in jarvis but i'm just confused as to what i could do to get this skin running.