Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Dark_Slayer - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-04, 20:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: I hope Steam releases an app for this device (in home streaming)

They may or may not release a real app, but there is a current workaround for this already

I use a Nexus Player to do most of what this box will do (for me) already by switching between Kodi and Limelight. I'll probably sell it and upgrade to this one in May (without even a thought if they actually release a $140 base model). Upgrades would be for actual potential for hd audio, 4k, hevc, gigabit

As of today, I run limelight on the Nexus with the sixaxis app to pair my DS3 controllers to it wirelessly (this kills the factory remote). Gamestream "compatible" game lists are less than what you'd expect. I have a mismash of games on my server in Steam, Origin, and Uplay. Gamestream picked up all my Origin games and a few Steam games. I added the Uplay games to steam

The default run of limelight will just have an icon for Steam (if you don't let GeForce experience scan for any games). That's pretty straightforward, but after I let it scan in some games the steam icon went away. The workaround to get it back if that happens is just make a desktop shortcut to "steam://open/bigpicture" and add it to the GFE games library. Nvidia lets you add anything this way. You could put in explorer.exe if you wanted to use the shield for remote desktop, but the steam shortcut does well enough for me. On the Nexus Player I have hardware decoding enabled for limelight. On my w8.1 server w/ gtx 660 I have hardware encoding enabled on the steam-IHS server side. You actually have to toggle that manually in steam. Gamestream from nvidia will default to hardware encoding with the NVENC, but steam will not unless you change the server side settings in big picture mode.

With NVENC hw encoding and the measly Nexus Player hw decoding I get 8ms (server) / 9ms (client) input lag. I'd bet that the Shield console has some optimization to make this even better, but it's already ridiculously good in my opinion. Looking at the limelight post in XDA, it doesn't look like all devices fare as well as the nexus

(2015-03-06, 23:30)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-06, 23:05)Ned Scott Wrote: Except for the thousands and thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people who don't require HD audio or even have compatible equipment. I have 4 TVs in my house, and only on one would it make sense to have external speakers.
I have a big long list of reasons to get the Shield Console, and HD Audio isn't on that list for me either. I'm genuinely surprised its on anybody's list.
I'm with you here. It's on my list for a ton of reasons, and the potential for HD audio is kind of a non factor. Nice to have but not a deal breaker. I'll own it either way

I'm not surprised to see people require HD audio, but I do get surprised sometimes when it seems like a minimum requirement for ANY box is hd audio passthrough. How many receivers do people have? I have one, but two other TVs in different rooms just running built in speakers. I only need one box to do hd audio passthrough

(2015-03-07, 01:28)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't assume that just because someone doesn't use "HD" audio doesn't mean they don't want a nice media/game system that has performance in other areas.

And I call bullshit EDIT: I doubt that the average person using "HD audio" is actually getting better audio quality. The quality difference between other high quality audio formats and the two HD audio formats is not very big, and most consumers will not be able to tell a difference in their setup.

(EDIT: err, I got a little worked up. Sorry)

I agree here as well, not that it's of much consequence but audio placebo goes along way. People felt the same way about their hd audio lights showing up on their receiver vs the ps3 decoding and sending lpcm (before the slim when the hdmi chipset was updated and enabled bitstreaming) - and in that case there was scientifically no difference in audio with the exception of a few receivers that clipped lpcm and/or didn't apply room correction to it

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ozkhan1 - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 06:47)nickr Wrote: I do and I don't - in two minds actually.

Smile

That sums up the whole debate nicely in oneverything sentence..

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MediaPi - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 05:59)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 04:55)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I think some people want it and some don't..

I disagree. Clearly some people don't want it, and some do!
I disagree. Clearly some people don't know what it is hence don't know if they want it or don't want it. Some claim they know what it is but actually don't and are confused. Those that want it can't tell the difference. And those that can tell the difference are color blind.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - BORIStheBLADE - 2015-03-08

I'm glad we all can have fun while debating. Wink

I have a question for you guys about HD audio and I apologize for possibly hijacking the thread.

What does Kodi do with a movie that has HD audio but the hardware being used doesn't support it or the TV?

What if the hardware supports it but the receiver its ran to doesnt?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 17:42)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I'm glad we all can have fun while debating. Wink

I have a question for you guys about HD audio and I apologize for possibly hijacking the thread.

What does Kodi do with a movie that has HD audio but the hardware being used doesn't support it or the TV?

If the display or amp doesn't support HD Audio bitstreaming, then you disable it and are left with DD/DTS legacy bitstreaming. (DTS HD-MA/HRA has a DTS legacy core which is used with additional streams to construct the DTS HD-MA/HRA stream, Dolby True HD has an accompanying DD track I believe, which isn't use for the True HD stream but is there 'hidden'?)

If your amp does support PCM multichannel audio, but not HD Audio bitstreams, then there is also the possibility that Kodi can decode Dolby True HD to PCM multichannel. (Incidentally this allows the Pi 2 to playback 48kHz (and 96kHz) Dolby True HD tracks losslessly, even though it can't bitstream). DTS HD-MA/HRA can't be decoded in Kodi, only the DTS core can be bitstreamed or decoded to PCM.

If the display or amp doesn't support DD/DTS bitstreaming, then Kodi will decode the DD or DTS either to PCM 5.1, or PCM 2.0. (Or in some cases the Dolby True HD will be decoded to PCM - as mentioned above)

Additionally if your amp or display only supports DD bitstreaming and doesn't support DTS bitstreaming (or AAC, or PCM multichannel etc.), or PCM multichannel, then Kodi has a Dolby Transcode option where DTS, AAC, FLAC, PCM multichannel (or 2.0) audio is decoded and then recoded to Dolby Digital for bitstreaming. This, for instance, allows you to watch DTS movies on an amp that only has Dolby support, or watch Freeview HD (UK OTA HD) 5.1 movies even though AAC 5.1 is used for broadcast and almost never supported by amps.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - BORIStheBLADE - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 18:13)noggin Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 17:42)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I'm glad we all can have fun while debating. Wink

If the display or amp doesn't support HD Audio bitstreaming, then you disable it and are left with DD/DTS legacy bitstreaming. (DTS HD-MA/HRA has a DTS legacy core which is used with additional streams to construct the DTS HD-MA/HRA stream, Dolby True HD has an accompanying DD track I believe, which isn't use for the True HD stream but is there 'hidden'?)

If your amp does support PCM multichannel audio, but not HD Audio bitstreams, then there is also the possibility that Kodi can decode Dolby True HD to PCM multichannel. (Incidentally this allows the Pi 2 to playback 48kHz (and 96kHz) Dolby True HD tracks losslessly, even though it can't bitstream). DTS HD-MA/HRA can't be decoded in Kodi, only the DTS core can be bitstreamed or decoded to PCM.

If the display or amp doesn't support DD/DTS bitstreaming, then Kodi will decode the DD or DTS either to PCM 5.1, or PCM 2.0. (Or in some cases the Dolby True HD will be decoded to PCM - as mentioned above)

Additionally if your amp or display only supports DD bitstreaming and doesn't support DTS bitstreaming (or AAC, or PCM multichannel etc.), or PCM multichannel, then Kodi has a Dolby Transcode option where DTS, AAC, FLAC, PCM multichannel (or 2.0) audio is decoded and then recoded to Dolby Digital for bitstreaming. This, for instance, allows you to watch DTS movies on an amp that only has Dolby support, or watch Freeview HD (UK OTA HD) 5.1 movies even though AAC 5.1 is used for broadcast and almost never supported by amps.

Thanks for the info!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Stereodude - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 18:13)noggin Wrote: Dolby True HD has an accompanying DD track I believe, which isn't use for the True HD stream but is there 'hidden'?)
The AC3 "core" is only mandatory on Blu-ray. The AC3 "core" is not actually part of the TrueHD stream. It can be removed from a .mkv remux with no impact on the ability to decode the TrueHD stream. However, since TrueHD can be decoded by FFMPEG it's not a big problem if the accompanying AC3 "core" is missing.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - natethomas - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-08, 13:20)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 05:59)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 04:55)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I think some people want it and some don't..

I disagree. Clearly some people don't want it, and some do!
I disagree. Clearly some people don't know what it is hence don't know if they want it or don't want it. Some claim they know what it is but actually don't and are confused. Those that want it can't tell the difference. And those that can tell the difference are color blind.

I vote this one as the winner. That's Life of Brian levels of convolution right there.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MediaPi - 2015-03-09

LOL HAHA Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Do I win NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)? Tongue

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-03-09

(2015-03-08, 19:57)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 13:20)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 05:59)natethomas Wrote: I disagree. Clearly some people don't want it, and some do!

I vote this one as the winner. That's Life of Brian levels of convolution right there.

But the most important question - Is this box officially endorsed by the Judean People's Front or is it The People's Front of Judea ?
I ask as all this HD audio talk has left me blinded to the actual difference.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-03-09

(2015-03-09, 18:50)MediaPi Wrote: LOL HAHA Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Do I win NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)? Tongue

Nope........your prize is:

To collect your prize, please contact us at

eggs_bacon_spam_eggs_sausage_spam@spam.spam

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Rayzin - 2015-03-10

I won't have anymore saliva left by the time this is released.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - natethomas - 2015-03-10

(2015-03-10, 04:09)Rayzin Wrote: I won't have anymore saliva left by the time this is released.

Spam is indeed quite salty.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nickr - 2015-03-10

(2015-03-09, 20:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 19:57)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 13:20)MediaPi Wrote: I disagree. Clearly some people don't know what it is hence don't know if they want it or don't want it. Some claim they know what it is but actually don't and are confused. Those that want it can't tell the difference. And those that can tell the difference are color blind.

But the most important question - Is this box officially endorsed by the Judean People's Front or is it The People's Front of Judea ?
My question is, what have we got to thank the Romans for, besides HD Video with hardware decoding, HD audio passthough, low power consumption, a flexible addon system, a superior metadata gatherer, great free support, multiple platform support, free and open source code, the sewers, and the aqueduct?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Metallifux - 2015-03-10

(2015-03-10, 07:33)nickr Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 20:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 19:57)natethomas Wrote: I vote this one as the winner. That's Life of Brian levels of convolution right there.

My question is, what have we got to thank the Romans for, besides HD Video with hardware decoding, HD audio passthough, low power consumption, a flexible addon system, a superior metadata gatherer, great free support, multiple platform support, free and open source code, the sewers, and the aqueduct?

Wine Big Grin don't forget the wine.