Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - crystalgipsy - 2015-10-20

(2015-10-19, 23:55)cAizer Wrote: Cant get my Nvidia shield tv to change refresh rate. Is it a problem running through a reciever with hdmi? I have a Harman Kardon AVR255.
Anyone with the same problem? Just got my shield tv.
Sometimes I can change the refresh rate in the settings but it often says that its unsupported.

My AVR which is Arcam AVR360 had issues when it was doing the video processing. Turned on pass through on the amp and all now works as it should. Does you amp support 23.976? mine doesn't only via pass through.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-10-20

(2015-10-20, 12:13)looun Wrote: someone have try HDR/10-bit sansung demo? http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=115

so only missing is audio passtrougth in kodi?

@wesk05
Do have test real 23,976 hz HDMI out?
There is no video player that supports HDR metadata . couto27 had contacted Ganesh T S from Anandtech. Ganesh had quoted nVIDIA's technical product marketing director who indicated that HDMI 2.0a/HDR will be enabled in the future when content becomes available.

23.976 is actually 23.97542Hz. I have not seen any Android based device that has 23.9760xHz.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pedromvu - 2015-10-20

So, does 23.97542Hz work on 15.2 official release?

I know it is hard to tell from 24hz, but maybe someone has a test video with a repeating pattern that could be helpful to make sure it is working.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-10-20

(2015-10-20, 19:36)pedromvu Wrote: So, does 23.97542Hz work on 15.2 official release?

I know it is hard to tell from 24hz, but maybe someone has a test video with a repeating pattern that could be helpful to make sure it is working.
It was working on 15.2rc3. I haven't yet checked 15.2. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. You can confirm it from Kodi log. No need to look at test patterns.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-10-20

(2015-10-20, 19:36)pedromvu Wrote: So, does 23.97542Hz work on 15.2 official release?

Yes.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - cAizer - 2015-10-20

(2015-10-20, 18:03)crystalgipsy Wrote:
(2015-10-19, 23:55)cAizer Wrote: Cant get my Nvidia shield tv to change refresh rate. Is it a problem running through a reciever with hdmi? I have a Harman Kardon AVR255.
Anyone with the same problem? Just got my shield tv.
Sometimes I can change the refresh rate in the settings but it often says that its unsupported.

My AVR which is Arcam AVR360 had issues when it was doing the video processing. Turned on pass through on the amp and all now works as it should. Does you amp support 23.976? mine doesn't only via pass through.

I have had an HTPC running Ubuntu and KODI and with refreshrate switching and 23.976, it says 24P but im pretty shure its 23.976. It only has HDMI 1.0 or 1.1 I think. Nu audio pass throug to TV.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Dropbear67 - 2015-10-21

Ive been doing some testing with 15.2 RC3 on my shield through a Onkyo 608 Receiver (HDMI)..

When watching at 60Hz the audio sync is perfect... When doing a frame rate switch to 24fps, the audio sync is way off. I was not able to correct it on the Nvidia Sheild Sync screen because the delay had to be negative instead of positive..

Inside Kodi I tried a setting I found on a very old thread which suggested a delay of 0.175s and this pretty much fixed it for me ... The audio seems mostly back in sync.

I have not tried 50hz content yet.

Can anyone tell me if the audio sync settings for Kodi only apply for the frame rate you're currently at, or is that a global setting? I'd hate to have to manually set it each time I watch a different frame rate video.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-10-21

Audio sync is different for different people and is going to be different depending on you equipment and settings.

No 2 people are necessarily going to have the same sync settings unless they have the exact same equipment and settings. Set the sync to what ever best suits your needs.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Dropbear67 - 2015-10-21

yeh thanks..

my real question was

"Can anyone tell me if the audio sync settings for Kodi only apply for the frame rate you're currently at, or is that a global setting? I'd hate to have to manually set it each time I watch a different frame rate video."

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-10-21

(2015-10-21, 05:22)Dropbear67 Wrote: "Can anyone tell me if the audio sync settings for Kodi only apply for the frame rate you're currently at, or is that a global setting? I'd hate to have to manually set it each time I watch a different frame rate video."

It's a global setting if you set it as default for all videos. As far as I know you can't specify "per frame rate" what the sync will be.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-10-21

You can set different audio syncs for frame rate ranges in the advancedsettings.xml. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=96916

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2015-10-22

Im testing the NVST and so far its the best box Android TV i ever used.

Very well built and the box presentation remind me some Apple product.
Blazing fast leaving the chineses boxes miles way in hardware.
Kodi 15.2 using Multichannel HD audio decoding works has a charm.
Kodi identify the subtitles correctly (not like the Gecko)
The option to fix 23.976 works very well in mt2s files.
No issues in 2D ISO or MKV
Kodi/Nvidia needs to work together to improve the streaming performance (samba or NFS)

At the moment its not ready for prime use in my main media center, but im hopping Nvidia and Kodi can improve it... they are on the right track.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-10-22

(2015-10-22, 06:56)couto27 Wrote: Kodi/Nvidia needs to work together to improve the streaming performance (samba or NFS)

I don't know what you mean by "improve the streaming performance"? I haven't found anything that I couldn't stream or gave me any problems streaming.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-10-22

(2015-10-21, 02:09)Dropbear67 Wrote: When watching at 60Hz the audio sync is perfect... When doing a frame rate switch to 24fps, the audio sync is way off. I was not able to correct it on the Nvidia Sheild Sync screen because the delay had to be negative instead of positive..

If you have passthrough, you haven't tick "sync playback to display", this is broken on pt. Tick it off.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2015-10-22

(2015-10-22, 08:07)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-10-22, 06:56)couto27 Wrote: Kodi/Nvidia needs to work together to improve the streaming performance (samba or NFS)

I don't know what you mean by "improve the streaming performance"? I haven't found anything that I couldn't stream or gave me any problems streaming.

Well, in NFS and Samba the Nvidia fails the jellyfish 120, 110, 100 and 90Mbps streaming, also didn't like the video clips 60 & 90 from the birds....
but it plays well some blurays 2D MKV with HD audio..
Comparing with the Mede8er 3D, in my opinion the box needs to push the streaming a little higher.

Ps: Im gone test bypassing the gigabyte switch to see if is the culprit...

pps: Yes it was.. all working fine now Big Grin