Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - movie78 - 2016-02-22

(2016-02-22, 16:28)apgood Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 12:03)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 04:46)Dave the Minion Wrote: I just want a video card to put into my HTPC that will do what the Pi does. I don't need yet another device that isn't as powerful as my PC, can't easily use YouTube or search the web and all the rest. I just need what the tiny Pi can do in a card I'll pay up to $200 for. And I don't care if it can play today's games at all. It's not a gaming card for a gaming rig. It's a HTPC card for a HTPC rig. Hello, nVidia. Is this thing onHuh

You might have better luck wishing that someone will write a 3D MVC decoder and fold it into FFmpeg so that it can be done in software on any platform with the required CPU speed. However ISTR that because MVC is tied massively into H264 (as the secondary MVC eye-difference stream is used along with the 2D H264 eye feed to create the 'other' eye feed), it requires a major rewrite of the FFmpeg H264 decode code as well?
Actually LAV filters nightlies now support 3D MVC mkv and 3D Blu-ray decoding and splitting to frame packed 3D on Windows 8.1 and 10; and MadVR supports 3D rendering, so now you can use direct show players like mpg-HC / be, Kodi displayed fork, jriver media center, etc to player your 3D frame packed movies.

Not sure how much of this has been committed to FFmpeg though.

Can you share a link for this information?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-22

(2016-02-22, 16:28)apgood Wrote: Actually LAV filters nightlies now support 3D MVC mkv and 3D bluray decoding and splitting to framepacked 3D on Windows 8.1 and 10; and MadVR supports 3D rendering, so now you can use direct show players like mpg-hc / be, kodi dsplayer fork, jriver media center, etc to player your 3D framepacked movies.

Not sure how much of this has been committed to ffmpeg though.

But do these players send metadata communication to the display to direct it to switch to the appropriate means to show the 3D content? If not, 1 step forward but still losing the race to a $35 device by a quarter mile.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-02-22

(2016-02-22, 18:20)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 16:28)apgood Wrote: Actually LAV filters nightlies now support 3D MVC mkv and 3D bluray decoding and splitting to framepacked 3D on Windows 8.1 and 10; and MadVR supports 3D rendering, so now you can use direct show players like mpg-hc / be, kodi dsplayer fork, jriver media center, etc to player your 3D framepacked movies.

Not sure how much of this has been committed to ffmpeg though.

But do these players send metadata communication to the display to direct it to switch to the appropriate means to show the 3D content? If not, 1 step forward but still losing the race to a $35 device by a quarter mile.

If they are frame packing (which defines sending 2 x 1920x1080 in a 1920x2205 frame for 1080p) they must do surely - I don't think you can send frame packed without the metadata that defines it as a valid HDMI signal?

If they are not frame packing but instead decoding 3D MVC and outputting it as HSBS or HTAB then sure - metadata will be needed to avoid manually having to set 3D on your TV.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-22

(2016-02-22, 20:41)noggin Wrote: If they are frame packing (which defines sending 2 x 1920x1080 in a 1920x2205 frame for 1080p) they must do surely - I don't think you can send frame packed without the metadata that defines it as a valid HDMI signal?

If they are not frame packing but instead decoding 3D MVC and outputting it as HSBS or HTAB then sure - metadata will be needed to avoid manually having to set 3D on your TV.

Stereoscopic player has output frame packed MVC MKV for years. It doesn't tell the display what the format is to induce proper switching. If your display, or projector, doesn't have an auto-detect feature which requires reading the input for several sections before figuring out what the format is then you must manually switch to the proper 3D mode.

The Pi does all of this on it's own through the HDMI hardware.

Software decoding is not the answer. Full function HDMI output is. And it's there but being purposely handicapped.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-02-22

(2016-02-22, 22:06)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 20:41)noggin Wrote: If they are frame packing (which defines sending 2 x 1920x1080 in a 1920x2205 frame for 1080p) they must do surely - I don't think you can send frame packed without the metadata that defines it as a valid HDMI signal?

Stereoscopic player has output frame packed MVC MKV for years. It doesn't tell the display what the format is to induce proper switching. If your display, or projector, doesn't have an auto-detect feature which requires reading the input for several sections before figuring out what the format is then you must manually switch to the proper 3D mode.

The Pi does all of this on it's own through the HDMI hardware.

Software decoding is not the answer. Full function HDMI output is. And it's there but being purposely handicapped.

Is it definitely frame packed (with the inter-eye 45 lines of vertical blanking) or is it full resolution TAB or SBS?

(2016-02-22, 23:06)noggin Wrote: Is it definitely frame packed (with the inter-eye 45 lines of vertical blanking) or is it full resolution TAB or SBS?

You'd have to ask someone who uses it. I gave up long ago because the controls such, there's no subtitle support and other issues plus it costs far to much for so many lacking features. Money much better spent on a Pi.

Stereoscopic isn't the only external player that plays MVC MKV as well. As far as I know none that do are capable of sending data to the display to change the 3D mode. So again, a step forward when already a quarter mile behind. If you have to manually change your display's 3D mode because the software can't do it then it's still on the manufactures to stop neutering the capability of the components they sell.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Stereodude - 2016-02-23

If the source starts sending 1080p 3D (framepacked) I would sure hope the display would recognize that and switch in 3D mode. I know my TV does with my Blu-ray players when they switch to 3D. YMMV

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - brazen1 - 2016-02-23

My panel auto switches to 3D mode when a 3D MVC ISO is started in KODI and handed off to PDVD.
Simply met with a prompt that says "Turn on your glasses".
All SBS or TAB have to be switched manually at the panel since I prefer to use KODI dvdplayer for those and only have a couple ripped in those formats for testing.
Fortunately, a talented person wrote an add-on automating that for Samsung's as well so there is nothing that isn't automated after pressing enter on any title regardless of the container or file type.

Happily, it's all harmonious using W10 x64 and KODI Krypton as well as Jarvis final.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - apgood - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-22, 16:50)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 16:28)apgood Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 12:03)noggin Wrote: You might have better luck wishing that someone will write a 3D MVC decoder and fold it into FFmpeg so that it can be done in software on any platform with the required CPU speed. However ISTR that because MVC is tied massively into H264 (as the secondary MVC eye-difference stream is used along with the 2D H264 eye feed to create the 'other' eye feed), it requires a major rewrite of the FFmpeg H264 decode code as well?
Actually LAV filters nightlies now support 3D MVC mkv and 3D Blu-ray decoding and splitting to frame packed 3D on Windows 8.1 and 10; and MadVR supports 3D rendering, so now you can use direct show players like mpg-HC / be, Kodi displayed fork, jriver media center, etc to player your 3D frame packed movies.

Not sure how much of this has been committed to FFmpeg though.

Can you share a link for this information?
Here is the link to the MadVR renderer thread on the doom9 forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

To answer some questions:

Yes for 3D bluray and 3D mvc mkv's it will automatically switch your screen / projector to 3D. There are even settings in MadVR to tell it what sort of 3D signal it accepts.

It doesn't switch automatically for SBS or OU mkv's.

It definitely outputs framepacked 3D if that is what your screen / projector accepts.

There is functionality for 3D subtitle depth info (only 3D bluray I think).

In kodi you would need to use the dsplayer fork that has an integrated direct show player that can use MadVR as the video renderer, and LAV filters for the splitter and video / audio decoders.

Seems to work best with AMD and Intel gpu's. Nvidia works as well but the auto switching only works properly if using FSE mode from what I have read.

Only works with Win 8.1 and 10.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-23, 02:12)Stereodude Wrote: If the source starts sending 1080p 3D (framepacked) I would sure hope the display would recognize that and switch in 3D mode. I know my TV does with my Blu-ray players when they switch to 3D. YMMV

Your blu-ray player's HDMI hardware isn't handicapped and works as it absolutely should.

(2016-02-23, 04:33)brazen1 Wrote: My panel auto switches to 3D mode when a 3D MVC ISO is started in KODI and handed off to PDVD.
All SBS or TAB have to be switched manually at the panel since I prefer to use KODI dvdplayer for those and only have a couple ripped in those formats for testing.
Fortunately, a talented person wrote an add-on automating that for Samsung's as well so there is nothing that isn't automated after pressing enter on any title regardless of the container or file type.

Happily, it's all harmonious using W10 x64 and KODI Krypton as well as Jarvis final.

PDVD is an external player with additional costs. And it doesn't work, as you put it, with SBS or TAB material.

Not everyone owns or wants to own Samsung panels. Samsung doesn't make projectors.

You might have a solution for you but it's far from universal.

Again the $35 Pi does all of this because of the HARDWARE, not software rendering and add-ons and so forth. From my understanding it's not even that the HDMI hardware in the Pi is something special with extra components costing more money but rather it's firmware based opening up the full capabilities that have been handicapped on GPU's that cost hundreds and hundreds more than the Pi. Even if this opening of the firmware to allow the GPU hardware to do what the Pi does costs money, uh hello manufacturer's... I have the money to pay for it. A 1 GB semi-basic card that has the lasted HDMI 2.0, handles all 4K UHD HDR content AND isn't restricting 3D playback for $200 MSRP should not be difficult to design. It likely only needs an update to an existing card with some new branding for HTPC's not high-end gaming. It's no different than a region locked DVD player that you can open the tray and hit "5187" on the remote and BAM you have a region free player. It's already there but been purposely help back.

So a step forward but still a quarter mile behind to a dinky little device designed for kids. And that's not a knock on the Pi. It's like Ferarri getting beaten by a Focus. It should not be happening, but it is.

Sorry I'm not trying to sound like a negative nancy it's just frustrating that you put time and energy into researching and then hundreds of dollars into building a great HTPC and then your nuts are cut off because os stupid silly behind the scenes crap. In a capitalist system where it's all about making a buck you'd think just 1 manufacturer would take the small step required to resolve all these issues.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-23, 07:53)Dave the Minion Wrote:
(2016-02-23, 02:12)Stereodude Wrote: If the source starts sending 1080p 3D (framepacked) I would sure hope the display would recognize that and switch in 3D mode. I know my TV does with my Blu-ray players when they switch to 3D. YMMV

Your blu-ray player's HDMI hardware isn't handicapped and works as it absolutely should.

(2016-02-23, 04:33)brazen1 Wrote: My panel auto switches to 3D mode when a 3D MVC ISO is started in KODI and handed off to PDVD.

PDVD is an external player with additional costs. And it doesn't work, as you put it, with SBS or TAB material.

Not everyone owns or wants to own Samsung panels. Samsung doesn't make projectors.

You might have a solution for you but it's far from universal.

Again the $35 Pi does all of this because of the HARDWARE, not software rendering and add-ons and so forth. From my understanding it's not even that the HDMI hardware in the Pi is something special with extra components costing more money but rather it's firmware based opening up the full capabilities that have been handicapped on GPU's that cost hundreds and hundreds more than the Pi. Even if this opening of the firmware to allow the GPU hardware to do what the Pi does costs money, uh hello manufacturer's... I have the money to pay for it. A 1 GB semi-basic card that has the lasted HDMI 2.0, handles all 4K UHD HDR content AND isn't restricting 3D playback for $200 MSRP should not be difficult to design. It likely only needs an update to an existing card with some new branding for HTPC's not high-end gaming. It's no different than a region locked DVD player that you can open the tray and hit "5187" on the remote and BAM you have a region free player. It's already there but been purposely help back.

So a step forward but still a quarter mile behind to a dinky little device designed for kids. And that's not a knock on the Pi. It's like Ferarri getting beaten by a Focus. It should not be happening, but it is.

Sorry I'm not trying to sound like a negative nancy it's just frustrating that you put time and energy into researching and then hundreds of dollars into building a great HTPC and then your nuts are cut off because os stupid silly behind the scenes crap. In a capitalist system where it's all about making a buck you'd think just 1 manufacturer would take the small step required to resolve all these issues.

I suspect that the hardware in all mainstream GPUs allows the required HDMI data to be sent to signal 3D modes (just as it allows HD Audio, YCbCr vs RGB etc.) - it's just a case of finding the correct way of setting these modes via the drivers (which are probably undocumented).

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-23, 10:42)noggin Wrote: I suspect that the hardware in all mainstream GPUs allows the required HDMI data to be sent to signal 3D modes (just as it allows HD Audio, YCbCr vs RGB etc.) - it's just a case of finding the correct way of setting these modes via the drivers (which are probably undocumented).

Exactly. Yet no one has this working. It's limited by the manufacturers because or money or laziness or stupidity or all of the above. These GPU's aren't "less powerful" than the hardware of the Pi. They are neutered. No different than locking a cell phone to a specific carrier who then charges you $50 to "unlock" it so you can use any network you want.

If that is due to licensing for the firmware to open these features up then just make a card that has that cost built in and charge us for it. How many Kodi users who want full function 3D (ie those reading this thread) and test and re-test little devices from shady Chinese manufactures would rather just pay the cost to a known manufacturer even if there's a bit of a premium for it. I'm in for $200 USD MSRP. That's TWICE what an entire 3D Blu-ray player would cost me just to get 1 working part from it. Frankly a $50 premium on any current GPU just for the firmware update is also fine by me.

Just to add, this is a $20,000 home theater I've been working on and building at a friend's for over 3 years. It will eventually have another 10 grand of speakers and audio equipment added with possibly butt kickers and more after that. To make it 3D I'm using a Pi2 kit that cost less than $75. And it's only function is for 3D. This demo runs off the HTPC waiting for something to give it the same capabilities as the Pi. https://youtu.be/lL7-teHHvs8

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - JustAnotherUser - 2016-02-23

I think some of you might have checked out the new The Dune Solo 4K recently, seems its now undergoing user testing and reporting flawless playback.
Shaping upto to be a reference player for others to measure against...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2259138-dune-hd-solo-4k-media-player-10.html#post41688249

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - brazen1 - 2016-02-23

Can't seem to find a video demo anywhere showing the Pi2 in action playing 3D MVC iso flawless?
Was hoping to see exactly that since you use it in the video link above after comments regarding another alternative.

I had problems with the 1st couple of RPI models Ethernet streaming. 50GB iso's in the neighborhood of 45MB bitrates, audio and video were choppy, stalling, out of sync and mostly froze the connection and quit entirely. 3D was out of the question. Thinking it was my network, I tested on a couple Windows platforms instead of the Pi and playback was flawless. After finding out both RPI's were only 10/100 BaseT compared to 10/100/1000 on the others, I chalked it up to that as the culprit. Now my math tells me 100 is more than enough to handle 45MB bitrates but in the real world... it simply didn't work. The RPI2 has the same 10/100 limitation and the reason I'm still hesitant to believe everything I read. No, I'm not going to buy yet another one and try it.

I'm sure there is a high success rate for those using stripped down low bitrate blu-rays claiming they prefer to eliminate all the extra garbage on a disc and get right down to the meat and potatoes not wasting time on intro, trailers, etc and save disc space. Then I watch video demos like the one above consisting of 20 minutes of intro, trailers, trivia, and the likes. That contradicts the reasoning imo. I also used to rip to SBS mkv since that's what everyone said had to be done and the Pi still didn't work since I ripped high bitrate. I wanted to render my whole high bitrate disc so reverted to PDVD. It fills the void for 2D menus on every disc and not just some. It completely handles the entire 3D equation f l a w l e s s, HD audio too, wink, wink. Yes, I want my AVR lights on 'HD'. It launches from KODI and returns when finished all using 1 remote. Best of all, I don't have to buy another device understanding it's all about money and how much marketing words can squeeze. I'll stick with my quiet existing Windows platform, invest in AnyDvd and PDVD and be done with it. The costs are a wash.

You say yeah, but it's software not hardware. So? Does the quality of the picture look different? Don't get me wrong. I too would like to see hardware advance and replace 3D software IF it improves, yet I read opinions that it lags because of the manufactures lack of interest. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon, if ever, given the direction of 3D now that UHD is the latest pick pocket. Nice to read about a chip on a $35.00 Pi but I need to be convinced this time.

"PDVD is an external player with additional costs. And it doesn't work, as you put it, with SBS or TAB material."

You put words in my mouth. I didn't write that? To reiterate, I use PDVD simply to fill the 3D MVC iso void. SBS and TAB work just fine using KODI player or any other player. There is no reason to use them with PDVD and that's my preference, not that you can't. PDVD is just to fill voids other players cannot in my real world attempts. The costs are a wash. Yes, it's an external player. So? Your devices are unnecessary external devices imo.

"Not everyone owns or wants to own Samsung panels. Samsung doesn't make projectors."

I was just pointing out there is an add-on for Samsung owners to do the auto switching. Something everyone else has to do manually. Maybe the new Pi does this small part of the big picture now but I guarantee you, I'll press a button to manually switch before sidestepping HD audio and relive the other problems of the past with the $35.00 unit. I'm not willing to compromise or lower my standards.

"You might have a solution for you but it's far from universal."

Why isn't it? Setup a Windows platform with 2 softwares and plug your HDMI cable into your projector. Done.
Not only have you conquered every complaint about every other device (yes, anything with Windows on it is a device and I think half the world owns one already) you get an all in one fully functioning computer as well. You know, more bang for your buck? Please don't use excuses like Windows updates, noise, size and all the other nonsense reasons it doesn't make for a superior HTPC. These excuses were overcome a long time ago. BTW, how are you ripping your disc to digital back up anyway..... with any of these other devices promoted and or tested here? Ahh, so you do need a PC.

Using that $20,000 setup, instead of showing us what you did, how bout' stay on point and show us how the Pi fills your 3D MVC iso complete 1:1 copy better than the examples I've written here and elsewhere? I want to see that puppy in action for a few minutes. Convince me. I understand the Pi is filling in while waiting for your HTPC (whatever that is) 3D MVC iso void to be filled. What if it isn't..... ever?

In the mean time, I have no voids. I supply detailed info how others can achieve the same. Then some people get angry. You can read the veins popping out of their foreheads. Folks are so quick to dis that fact, pounding their way is the only way and any other way(s) are just plain wrong. I guess it's a plug and play world, costs don't factor, voids are acceptable, compromising is common place, longevity is replaced by short term satisfaction, and an hour or two of elbow grease is out of the question. Not claiming my method is the best for everyone, just myself. It's an old school alternative that still surpasses anything else imo. I enjoy this uninhibited updateable state of the art problem free device and its unlimited peripherals. I hope others consider it too.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - dukester - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-23, 20:41)brazen1 Wrote: Can't seem to find a video demo anywhere showing the Pi2 in action playing 3D MVC iso flawless?
Was hoping to see exactly that since you use it in the video link above after comments regarding another alternative.

I had problems with the 1st couple of RPI models Ethernet streaming. 50GB iso's in the neighborhood of 45MB bitrates, audio and video were choppy, stalling, out of sync and mostly froze the connection and quit entirely. 3D was out of the question. Thinking it was my network, I tested on a couple Windows platforms instead of the Pi and playback was flawless. After finding out both RPI's were only 10/100 BaseT compared to 10/100/1000 on the others, I chalked it up to that as the culprit. Now my math tells me 100 is more than enough to handle 45MB bitrates but in the real world... it simply didn't work. The RPI2 has the same 10/100 limitation and the reason I'm still hesitant to believe everything I read. No, I'm not going to buy yet another one and try it.

I'm sure there is a high success rate for those using stripped down low bitrate blu-rays claiming they prefer to eliminate all the extra garbage on a disc and get right down to the meat and potatoes not wasting time on intro, trailers, etc and save disc space. Then I watch video demos like the one above consisting of 20 minutes of intro, trailers, trivia, and the likes. That contradicts the reasoning imo. I also used to rip to SBS mkv since that's what everyone said had to be done and the Pi still didn't work since I ripped high bitrate. I wanted to render my whole high bitrate disc so reverted to PDVD. It fills the void for 2D menus on every disc and not just some. It completely handles the entire 3D equation f l a w l e s s, HD audio too, wink, wink. Yes, I want my AVR lights on 'HD'. It launches from KODI and returns when finished all using 1 remote. Best of all, I don't have to buy another device understanding it's all about money and how much marketing words can squeeze. I'll stick with my quiet existing Windows platform, invest in AnyDvd and PDVD and be done with it. The costs are a wash.

You say yeah, but it's software not hardware. So? Does the quality of the picture look different? Don't get me wrong. I too would like to see hardware advance and replace 3D software IF it improves, yet I read opinions that it lags because of the manufactures lack of interest. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon, if ever, given the direction of 3D now that UHD is the latest pick pocket. Nice to read about a chip on a $35.00 Pi but I need to be convinced this time.

"PDVD is an external player with additional costs. And it doesn't work, as you put it, with SBS or TAB material."

You put words in my mouth. I didn't write that? To reiterate, I use PDVD simply to fill the 3D MVC iso void. SBS and TAB work just fine using KODI player or any other player. There is no reason to use them with PDVD and that's my preference, not that you can't. PDVD is just to fill voids other players cannot in my real world attempts. The costs are a wash. Yes, it's an external player. So? Your devices are unnecessary external devices imo.

"Not everyone owns or wants to own Samsung panels. Samsung doesn't make projectors."

I was just pointing out there is an add-on for Samsung owners to do the auto switching. Something everyone else has to do manually. Maybe the new Pi does this small part of the big picture now but I guarantee you, I'll press a button to manually switch before sidestepping HD audio and relive the other problems of the past with the $35.00 unit. I'm not willing to compromise or lower my standards.

"You might have a solution for you but it's far from universal."

Why isn't it? Setup a Windows platform with 2 softwares and plug your HDMI cable into your projector. Done.
Not only have you conquered every complaint about every other device (yes, anything with Windows on it is a device and I think half the world owns one already) you get an all in one fully functioning computer as well. You know, more bang for your buck? Please don't use excuses like Windows updates, noise, size and all the other nonsense reasons it doesn't make for a superior HTPC. These excuses were overcome a long time ago. BTW, how are you ripping your disc to digital back up anyway..... with any of these other devices promoted and or tested here? Ahh, so you do need a PC.

Using that $20,000 setup, instead of showing us what you did, how bout' stay on point and show us how the Pi fills your 3D MVC iso complete 1:1 copy better than the examples I've written here and elsewhere? I want to see that puppy in action for a few minutes. Convince me. I understand the Pi is filling in while waiting for your HTPC (whatever that is) 3D MVC iso void to be filled. What if it isn't..... ever?

In the mean time, I have no voids. I supply detailed info how others can achieve the same. Then some people get angry. You can read the veins popping out of their foreheads. Folks are so quick to dis that fact, pounding their way is the only way and any other way(s) are just plain wrong. I guess it's a plug and play world, costs don't factor, voids are acceptable, compromising is common place, longevity is replaced by short term satisfaction, and an hour or two of elbow grease is out of the question. Not claiming my method is the best for everyone, just myself. It's an old school alternative that still surpasses anything else imo. I enjoy this uninhibited updateable state of the art problem free device and its unlimited peripherals. I hope others consider it too.

The Pi2 handles 3D flawlessly with 8ch audio, maybe you had issues before but it plays back 50GB bluray rips with 50MB/s bitrates just fine over SMB shares here for me, and has for 6 months or so. I have 80 or so ripped 3D bluray disks and all are working flawlessly. maybe you should give it another try, what you are correct about is 8ch audio is output as lpcm so you wont get that DTS-HD or TrueHD light on your receiver but you will get 100% lossless HD 8ch audio, which for me, since i dont have an atmos or dts-x setup doesnt matter much currently.