Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - brazen1 - 2016-02-23

Good to know. Thank you for sharing your good experience with new Pi. I'm warming up.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-02-23

(2016-02-23, 20:41)brazen1 Wrote: Can't seem to find a video demo anywhere showing the Pi2 in action playing 3D MVC iso flawless?
Was hoping to see exactly that since you use it in the video link above after comments regarding another alternative.

I had problems with the 1st couple of RPI models Ethernet streaming. 50GB iso's in the neighborhood of 45MB bitrates, audio and video were choppy, stalling, out of sync and mostly froze the connection and quit entirely. 3D was out of the question. Thinking it was my network, I tested on a couple Windows platforms instead of the Pi and playback was flawless. After finding out both RPI's were only 10/100 BaseT compared to 10/100/1000 on the others, I chalked it up to that as the culprit. Now my math tells me 100 is more than enough to handle 45MB bitrates but in the real world... it simply didn't work. The RPI2 has the same 10/100 limitation and the reason I'm still hesitant to believe everything I read. No, I'm not going to buy yet another one and try it.

I'm sure there is a
I don't ever recompress my 2D or 3D Blu-rays, they're all 1:1 lossless copies (either remuxed - but not re-encoded - as MKVs or left as ISOs or Folders). Pi 2 plays them flawlessly from both local USB storage and a networked SMB unRAID server.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - tate1293 - 2016-02-23

I also experience flawless playback of full bitrate bluray copies over an SMB network share. One thing I have noticed, however, is if I leave the PI on for a long time, then start up a video, sometimes it seems like there are skipped frames. This is resolved either by restarting the PI, or by pausing the video for a few seconds then restarting. The pausing method fixes it for sometimes not even the full movie length, while the restarting fixes it for at least a day. Anyone else experience this and have a fix other than what I've found?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-24

I never put word in your post, brazen1. You said you use PDVD (for 3D ISO which I missed at first) and that triggers your display to the proper 3D mode automatically, but you also said it doesn't trigger your display for SBS or TAB so you use Kodi and a Samsung specific add-on.

Not a single thing in my library nearing 3000 movies and 10,000 TV episodes is compressed in any way if the source is Blu-ray or DVD with the exception of a few DVD's that are non-anamorphic and I'm not able to find a better version elsewhere (The Abyss). They are all 100% 1:1 copies in MKV format.

I said you found a solution that works for you, and if it does then great. But it won't work for me on 3 different set-ups. It's not going to work for many others. Just because you need a huge pick-up truck to haul your stuff around doesn't mean everyone should drive one. Different people have different needs. You completely miss the point that not everyone uses Samsung products. There's no auto-switching add-on for Panasonic (or other) projectors. It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

Even further your solution requires 3D ISO, which doesn't work for me either. I don't have only 1 Kodi display to watch things on. I have multiple. Each with it's own challenges. I don't need a Windows machine with another licensed copy of PDVD to be able to watch a 3D movie in non-3D for my parents who live in a suite below me. Or in the bedroom. I use the Pi for both those. And in neither place do we want the hassle of menus and forced trailers and the like. Otherwise I'd just hook up a Blu-ray player and pick something off the shelf, the complete opposite of using Kodi for me to begin with.

All the "garbage" as you put it in my video is by design. It's there to give a crafted home theater experience in the home. It is NOT the same as sticking in a Blu-ray that's got all sorts of warnings and adds and other locked trailers that MUST be viewed before getting to a menu to then play the film. Every movie can be launched directly on it's own without ever seeing a bumper or trailer of any sort. There's months and years of work that's gone into crafting the material and sequence shown so don't try to shove it off as the same as copying a 3D Blu-ray to ISO with all the extras and various junk that comes on the disc. No one wants to sit through that stuff when it's forced. You saw hilarious commercials and there are even better ones than that, specific trailers of good movies coming soon, trailers of what else is in the library, a cartoon short and proper bumpers to identify the audio format. Customized bumpers for this specific theater, and believe me the 3D ones are just as awesome, and included light controls just like in a theater. That's why it's called a Home Theater, after all. Not everyone is going to spend money on a theater marquee, rows of powered recliners, custom acoustic panels and the like. Not everyone wants to use CV. But in this theater and in my more modest set-up, we love it. It is THE reason I began working with Kodi almost 4 years ago. If not for CV there'd be no HTPC and a 3D Blu-ray player would work just fine.

In a full CV 3D sequence on the same set-up in the video you'd see multiple 3D videos played one after the other in different 3D formats. Many SBS and at least the main feature in full MVC MKV. It took a ton of testing and work and figuring out just to get it to function on the Pi and that includes always leaving Kodi in SBS GUI mode even when not playing anything. This is likely because the Pi has it's own issues communicating with the display and because of the length and type of HDMI that runs from the receiver to the projector it causes the Pi to hang if not set this way. It's a great little device than can do a ton of things, but it's not perfect. The point is still that it's dirt cheap yet does what video cards costing hundreds of times more have been neutered from doing. Using PDVD would make such a mess of these sequences because it can't handle SBS properly and would jump in and out of Kodi. It's not a proper solution at all.

You need to spend a bit more time reading. At no place nor time have I said this $20,000 theater isn't run by a PC. That entire sequence is on a HTPC that has 10 4TB hard drives in it and cost $150 just for the Windows licence alone. That's the point. That PC, even with PDVD or any other software based MVC decoding, can't do what the Pi does for 3D MKV. None of this ISO nonsense. ISO failed before and was supposed to work well but never did. Stripping them down always created issues as well, often losing the 3D stream itself. The Pi plays MKV though not always the perfect solution and without advanced HD audio output. But until my friend invests the 10 grand more to upgrade to Atmos and dts:x it's serving us as well as we can hope. The only better solution is HARDWARE in the HTPC that does what the Pi does. Not messing around for hours more trying to get 3rd party software to play nice and whipping out the remote to manually change the 3D setting on the display constantly.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - brazen1 - 2016-02-24

They are all 100% 1:1 copies in MKV format.
So, you've retained the menu and all the extras or stripped it to just the main movie? I ask because we like a lot of the extra stuff from the original and find it very convenient to just rip a disc with everything as it was intended with just a click or two in AnyDvd to iso and no other messing around especially when it comes to 3D subs and the likes.

I said you found a solution that works for you, and if it does then great. But it won't work for me on 3 different set-ups. It's not going to work for many others.
31,000 hits from a guide about 6 months old with no complaints disagrees.

Just because you need a huge pick-up truck to haul your stuff around doesn't mean everyone should drive one.
Actually, I think it's the other way around? I have 1, count em', 1 device. 6"H x 17"W x 16"D. It serves clients, renders local, and everything else a PC does including the ripping tasks you failed to answer how you handle. Maybe you don't consider your ripping device another necessary device but I do when comparing apples to apples. Same with your NAS. That can go on the trailer behind the PU.

Even further your solution requires 3D ISO, which doesn't work for me either.
I see you haven't even read the guide otherwise you would understand it covers everything a user could throw at it, 2D and 3D with no problems or limitations.

I don't need a Windows machine with another licensed copy of PDVD to be able to watch a 3D movie in non-3D for my parents who live in a suite below me.
I agree, you don't. KODI will play any 3D in 2D perfectly. I think your point is, you don't want extra expenses for clients other than a Pi. The cost of a Windows machine is excessive for some. As I've written, assuming just about everyone on the planet has one already, costs are a wash. For those that don't, I agree a Pi is the next best thing if not the best thing for a (client) and why my interest is perked given the new improved model despite my past experiences. But for my main device in my theatre or an addition to negate PDVD? No. We've covered why inside and out.

It's there to give a crafted home theater experience in the home. It is NOT the same as sticking in a Blu-ray that's got all sorts of warnings and adds and other locked trailers that MUST be viewed before getting to a menu to then play the film.
Hmmm? I simply press skip or press menu on my remote to the main movie when I'm not interested in viewing the extras and never forced to view "locked trailers"? All that stuff you show in your video... I'm not dissing it. I'm not calling it garbage. Again, I like a lot of that garbage on the original disc. On the contrary, I read replies to why folks strip the original disc. I thought it was to comply with devices but turns out they were interested in saving disc space and referred to everything they stripped as unnecessary garbage. That said, I understand your cinema experience is to imitate a commercial movie theatre foreplay and I'm sure your client and guests enjoy the handcrafting vs. what already comes on most Blu-rays... if you didn't strip these things out. Personally, it's not for me. What's on the Blu-ray is enough.

Using PDVD would make such a mess of these sequences because it can't handle SBS properly and would jump in and out of Kodi.
I don't seem to experience these messes?

It's not a proper solution at all.
I know. You keep writing that to me but everything keeps working properly.

You need to spend a bit more time reading.
Is this the part where you show me you're mas macho than previously?

I took your advice and "spent a bit more time reading" your entire last paragraph over and over so you won't keyboard me to death. I'm tired of replying though. Just another rant contradicting reality. I want to go enjoy my home theatre now.

The whole point of this argument has escalated to who is making a better point. It serves no use to others or this thread. You and I are going to butt heads no matter what. I'm going to leave it at, I have my ways and you have yours. You have your reasons, I have mine. Neither of us is better than the other. We are different. I call a truce and should we cross paths again I will think very carefully before engaging and expect the same from you.

That said, how about a quick video showing the Pi in action using 3D MVC iso so this whole spew of ours has some benefit for myself and perhaps others on the edge of their seat watching the drama unfold?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Dave the Minion - 2016-02-24

Why are you arguing so vehemently for your set-up as the best for everyone, brazen? You dismiss other's points as hogwash because you don't experience their issues. You cite a guide by hit count as the be-all-end-all solution. Well does this guide you suggest is pure gold explain how to set up CinemaVision to play various types of 3D content without issue on EVERY HTPC/Receiver/Display set-up with NO manual need to switch the display to the proper 3D mode?

As has been stated many times, software decoding can not and for the immediate future does not appear to be able to do what hardware can. So no, your solution is not THE solution for 31,000 people (not just hits) never mind the entire world. Your costs are not a wash by any means as shown in this very thread were some people have 5+ devices to try and accomplish what you claim to have the "final solution" for.

I rip MVC MKVs. Perhaps you should do your own research into what exactly those are before running around like you know everything.

Your solution works for you. That's nice. It will not work for me. Period. For know I work with the $35 Pi. I hope someone from a GPU manufacturer might actually read this (larf) and see there are people like me willing to spend good money on their product that will do what the Pi currently does and should be capable of far more. It may never come. And if that's the case I'm betting a Pi3 will show up one day and even though not the perfect solution for me it will still be far better than your solution.

Enjoy your menus and locked trailers, even though you claim to not have them (which means you are altering the 1:1 aspect of many of the discs you rip). But stop acting like you have the perfect solution for everyone when it's far from fact. Not until you have a $20,000 home theater with 50' cables running video signal to a 3D projector and have 100% automatic 3D mode switching when using CinemaVision in Kodi. Your posts are insulting and idiotic then you claim others of being contradictory when you yourself can't make up your mind. You don't read what is written and fill in your own narrative to support your own narrow minded view. Then when you think you have one-up on others you take your ball and go home. Do you work for the PDVD guys or something because you are really starting to sound like a corporate schill now.

Also, learn how to multi-quote someone so other's don't read your posts and get my words mixed in with your nonsense.

Apologies to everyone else who'd rather read about 4K news in this thread. There will be no further response from me to a poster with a clear agenda and sever lack of common sense or reading comprehension.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - hansolo - 2016-02-24

Some things I don't understand:
1. windows/powerdvd expensive but you have a huge movie archive. Either you ripped yourself (and that cost it's exponential more than that license) or you have from other sources, which also has that windows/pdvd
2. pdvd as only solution for 3D playback on windows? No, there are stereoscopic player, madvr, LAV Filters, free. Yeah, maybe not as user-friendly as RPi, but RPi is not as user-friendly as a bluray-player
3. $20,000 home theater and RPi for 3D? How much can cost a bluray player and good 3D movies?

I know that RPi has many advantages on online content but I fail to see many arguments just for a local 3D content (yeah, it's convenient to browse a library and play any movie but not more convenient than inserting a disc).

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - drhill - 2016-02-24

People use Kodi because it is vastly more convenient then inserting a disc. I watch my media so much more now that I put it on my server. Plus skipping all the crap (warnings, trailers, menus) before the movie starts is a big deal.

(2016-02-24, 14:29)hansolo Wrote: Some things I don't understand:
1. windows/powerdvd expensive but you have a huge movie archive. Either you ripped yourself (and that cost it's exponential more than that license) or you have from other sources, which also has that windows/pdvd

Expense/money/cost, is not the issue. At no point has it been stated there is no HTPC in use anywhere. In fact quite the opposite. A proper HARDWARE solution for HTPC is the request. If nVidia or ASUS or EVGA came out with a video card tomorrow that had it's HDMI capable of doing what the HDMI on the Pi2 does and it cost $200 it would be purchased and installed in this HTPC a half hour after the store opened to sell it.

(2016-02-24, 14:29)hansolo Wrote: 2. pdvd as only solution for 3D playback on windows? No, there are stereoscopic player, madvr, LAV Filters, free. Yeah, maybe not as user-friendly as RPi, but RPi is not as user-friendly as a bluray-player

PDVD, Stereoscopic player, madvr and so on are all software renders. They don't send communication to the display to automatically enable the proper 3D mode on the display for all 3D types. If they did then they might be a better solution than the Pi which doesn't use software to decoded the 3D and send it to the display which then either needs to analyze the video for several seconds before it can recognize and switch to the proper 3D mode or that would need to be manually set to the proper 3D mode via the user with the remote.

(2016-02-24, 14:29)hansolo Wrote: 3. $20,000 home theater and RPi for 3D? How much can cost a bluray player and good 3D movies?

Again cost is not the issue. 20 grand is the cost of the theater (to date) for design, materials, construction, equipment, furniture, decoration and even a popcorn machine. The video I posted shows a HTPC with an Intel I5, 8GB RAM, contains 10 4TB hard drives, a 500 GB SSD and a Blu-ray reader/writer. There are also 2 ReadyNAS units each with 3 4TB drives in them. There's a PS3 and XBox One as well as the Pi2. All of that is stated (minus the detailed HTPC specs) right in the video. If you have to ask why use Kodi instead of just a Blu-ray player, well why do you use Kodi yourself? Do you just download and steal all the content you watch and need a media manager to play it back for you?

(2016-02-24, 14:29)hansolo Wrote: I know that RPi has many advantages on online content but I fail to see many arguments just for a local 3D content (yeah, it's convenient to browse a library and play any movie but not more convenient than inserting a disc).

Did you watch the video? The entire reason I ever found XBMC/Kodi was in looking for a way to have a movie theater experience at home. XBMC could do that, and with the development of CinemaVision as the successor to Cinema Experience, Kodi does it amazingly. Never mind that simply scrolling through your library of movies and clicking the one you want it play is infinitely more convenient. That's FAR different than getting off the recliner, looking through 3000 discs, pulling one out, putting it into the player, walking back to the recliner and sitting through load screens and menus and so fourth to finally get the movie to begin. This concept seems to be lost on some of those reading this thread however.

If 3D wasn't needed there'd be no reason for the Pi but because my friend enjoys 3D as do I we need a proper working solution. Hence why I'm reading this thread and contributing what little I'm able to and appreciative of those who spend their time messing with other devices to find a true working powerful enough all-in-one device. The Pi works, for now. Until we install Atmos. Then we need a better solution.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Stereodude - 2016-02-24

(2016-02-24, 15:33)drhill Wrote: People use Kodi because it is vastly more convenient then inserting a disc. I watch my media so much more now that I put it on my server. Plus skipping all the crap (warnings, trailers, menus) before the movie starts is a big deal.
Without menu support you can't play back .ISO movies correctly. Proper subtitle handling requires menu support since subtitle track selection and activation is often done via VM commands from the menus. Blu-ray has been out for almost 10 years and there's still no viable open source non-commercial player that works. If you remux to .mkv it's fine. If you want to play an .ISO properly you're out of luck.

So you have weigh convenience against it working properly.

(2016-02-24, 16:54)Stereodude Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 15:33)drhill Wrote: People use Kodi because it is vastly more convenient then inserting a disc. I watch my media so much more now that I put it on my server. Plus skipping all the crap (warnings, trailers, menus) before the movie starts is a big deal.
Without menu support you can't play back .ISO movies correctly. Proper subtitle handling requires menu support since subtitle track selection and activation is often done via VM commands from the menus. Blu-ray has been out for almost 10 years and there's still no viable open source non-commercial player that works. If you remux to .mkv it's fine. If you want to play an .ISO properly you're out of luck.

So you have weigh convenience against it working properly.

ISOs are for the birds. Wink

I only use subs for foreign language, which are forced subs so no need to select them. YMMV of course.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - Stereodude - 2016-02-24

(2016-02-24, 17:52)drhill Wrote: I only use subs for foreign language, which are forced subs so no need to select them. YMMV of course.
Or watch a movie like Avatar or The Wolverine.

(2016-02-24, 19:15)Stereodude Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 17:52)drhill Wrote: I only use subs for foreign language, which are forced subs so no need to select them. YMMV of course.
Or watch a movie like Avatar or The Wolverine.

Um.... that is exactly foreign language subs which are forced. I suppose I should have said english subtitles of characters speaking foreign languages.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - halfelite - 2016-02-24

With the fall of anydvd I wonder if it will stall UHD bluray cracking DVDFab was usually not as fast as anydvd at new protection.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - dikkiedirk - 2016-02-24

(2016-02-11, 20:48)Skank Wrote: New dune, plays iso, 3d, atmos, and full bluray menu.. But outside kodi... Pff

Remains to be seen how it turns out. It is not in the shops yet, so no evidence on final hardware and firmware.