Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - NicCo - 2017-02-06

Does anyone already tried 3D with Samsung Gear VR ?

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - tate1293 - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 20:28)NicCo Wrote: Does anyone already tried 3D with Samsung Gear VR ?

Yes, i have a gearVR. It's great, and I can play 3D movies in the Oculus video theater and they are very immersive. Not as good resolution as my 3D OLED of course, but still watchable and I play to take it on the plane when I go on a cross country trip. The biggest annoyance is that I have to reencode my MKVs to side by side to play them, but I guess I would have to reencode anyway since a single full MKV would take up more than the entire capacity of my phone.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - movie78 - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 20:28)NicCo Wrote: Does anyone already tried 3D with Samsung Gear VR ?

Had it horrible resolution,my wife took a look at it said return it.Confused

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - T800 - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 19:00)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 18:41)T800 Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 17:59)movie78 Wrote: Did you watch Ghost-Busters in 3D?

No, I haven't. I'm not saying there's no good 3D material. There's some amazing 3D out there.
3D is good, I like it, I have a 3D projector and most blockbuster 3D Blu-Rays. 3D can definitely add to the experience whereas VR IS the experience.
The difference in immersion between 3D and VR is massive.

All the VR headset I have try so far have a mediocre resolution of 480p, haven't a chance to try PS VR yet, is it better than Oculus or HTC Vive?

I'm pretty sure the resolution isn't as good as them. The resolution is lacking but it doesn't distract once immersed.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - tate1293 - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 21:06)T800 Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 19:00)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 18:41)T800 Wrote: No, I haven't. I'm not saying there's no good 3D material. There's some amazing 3D out there.
3D is good, I like it, I have a 3D projector and most blockbuster 3D Blu-Rays. 3D can definitely add to the experience whereas VR IS the experience.
The difference in immersion between 3D and VR is massive.

All the VR headset I have try so far have a mediocre resolution of 480p, haven't a chance to try PS VR yet, is it better than Oculus or HTC Vive?

I'm pretty sure the resolution isn't as good as them. The resolution is lacking but it doesn't distract one immersed.

It's kind of hard to quantify exactly the perceived resolution on the VR headsets since each one has different optics that can magnify more or less. Actual hardware resolution wise, the Gear VR is 2560x1440, the Rift and Vive are 2160x1200, and the PSVR is 1920x1080. However, the PSVR is the only one that uses a standard RGB sub-pixel layout, whereas the others use a pentile arrangement. This means that the PSVR has 6,220,800 subpixels vs the 5,184,000 of the Rift and Vive. Bottom line is it's complicated, but either way the perceived resolution is still far less than a 4K display would provide, and even less than 1080P, however it looks better than 480P to me, perhaps closer to 720P.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - halfelite - 2017-02-06

VR replacing HT will for sure not happen this gen and maybe not next gen depends how tech goes. But I think this display from samsung is a good start

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/samsung-4k-vr-display/

All current hardware focused more on games and there is no hardware that can pump 4k 90fps to two screens so screens where all dummed down. If someone focused more on media playback for it we could easily have 4k resolution right now. As for the social aspect most VR sets have social aspects built in. Mic's to talk to each other some support a camera for a PIP feature if ever activated. It is a new experience to be that immersed in something. 3D was nice as it immersed you even more into a movie but when you are wearing a VR headset you have 100% immersion even on 2d content. You are so close to the action and if you have good headphones the sound with zero outside world distraction the experience is a whole new level.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2017-02-06

Hey there @halfelite, curious which media player(s) you're using lately for 3D and 2D? I haven't visited the NMT forums in ages.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - halfelite - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 21:34)hdmkv Wrote: Hey there @halfelite, curious which media player(s) you're using lately for 3D and 2D? I haven't visited the NMT forums in ages.

I am use the A500pro for 2D content and picked up the Dune Solo for 3D content for the Menus. I have moved almost everything over to PLEX except my 3D ISO files. All my media is now MKV 1:1. And with Plex and Amazon Echo integration I am living the smart home life. I come to watch a movie.
I sit on the couch I say
"alexa turn on movies" She runs my harmony watch movie macro which dims the lights to 30% using the hue integration.
"Alexa tell plex to play Jurassic Park" and bam Jurassic park starts playing.
Still working on popcorn machine integration right now its just a smart plug and the popcorn machine is hardwired to always stay on so when the plug becomes active popcorn starts.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2017-02-06

Does PLEX support 3D ISO playback? ... I've tried PLEX on a couple different occasions over the years, but never cared for it. Doesn't support NFO files, although I know there's a user-built importer tool for that. And, just found Kodi a lot easier to use. But, with all the recent Alexa voice commands added, may look into it again.

(2017-02-06, 22:08)hdmkv Wrote: Does PLEX support 3D ISO playback? ... I've tried PLEX on a couple different occasions over the years, but never cared for it. Doesn't support NFO files, although I know there's a user-built importer tool for that. And, just found Kodi a lot easier to use. But, with all the recent Alexa voice commands added, may look into it again.

It can I dont use plex for my 3D iso files. I did at one time there is a plugin to scan ISO files in plex and the PCH and a few other clients still support ISO over samba its a work around to get it to work but it can work. I found it just easier to have my 3D setup it uses list view on the DUNE nothing special. Then the bulk of my Media is 2D content and TV and that is all plex controlled. I used NFO files with YAMJ but when moving to plex I have maybe has to manually adjust a handful of titles over the past 2 years its scanner is pretty good. I am pretty happy with my current setup I just wish the plex client on the PCH side was better. With the alexa now working 100% I dont use the on screen UI as much but still wish it was an option. The Nvidia Shield running plex is a beast of an option though it moves fast and has all the latest options of plex. But I have had a few problems with the android clients randomly transcoding items when they should have been direct play so I have stuck with the PCH.

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - NicCo - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 20:32)tate1293 Wrote:

Yes, i have a gearVR. It's great, and I can play 3D movies in the Oculus video theater and they are very immersive. Not as good resolution as my 3D OLED of course, but still watchable and I play to take it on the plane when I go on a cross country trip. The biggest annoyance is that I have to reencode my MKVs to side by side to play them, but I guess I would have to reencode anyway since a single full MKV would take up more than the entire capacity of my phone.

(2017-02-06, 20:34)movie78 Wrote:

Had it horrible resolution,my wife took a look at it said return it.Confused
Thank you Smile

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2017-02-07

3D Blu-rays with changing aspect ratios & frame breaking (nice list at Blu-ray.com forum).

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - movie78 - 2017-02-07

(2017-02-07, 15:49)hdmkv Wrote:
3D Blu-rays with changing aspect ratios & frame breaking (nice list at Blu-ray.com forum).

Good read, now i have rewatch some of this movies again.

Thanks!

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - TheShoe - 2017-02-08

(2017-02-06, 22:08)hdmkv Wrote: Does PLEX support 3D ISO playback? ... I've tried PLEX on a couple different occasions over the years, but never cared for it. Doesn't support NFO files, although I know there's a user-built importer tool for that. And, just found Kodi a lot easier to use. But, with all the recent Alexa voice commands added, may look into it again.

plex does not support mvc 3D in any container and there is no indication they will do so.

i use plex for all devices outside of my home theater room where kodi mvc build rules the roost and jriver for audio

plex device support and transcoding are solid. shame fhey have no interest in 3D but that's hardly surprising

RE: Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - z-dima - 2017-02-08

Intel NUC D54250 - Kodi crashes on start playing 1080p 3D iso files.
Is it possible to fix somehow?
I tried several last MVC builds: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=265299
Several month old builds playing iso files without crashes.
Thanks in advance.