Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-08-12

I'm not sold on RPi2 yet and MVC MKV. popcornmix and Milhouse have been very helpful, but I find RPi2 unstable and underpowered (even overclocked, compared to HiMedia Q5). Also, for me, skipping chapters caused audio sync issues, and my right-eye first titles ('Edge of Tomorrow' comes to mind) didn't auto-switch to display properly. After a lot of testing, I keep going back to HiMedia Q5 for 3D playback. I'm hoping HiMedia fixes the random audio dropouts issue with the next firmware (they're waiting on chip manufacturer HiSilicon), then it'll remain the best player for 3D with HD audio and proper 23.976 support.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - 3dgeek - 2015-08-12

I have not overclocked my PI2 and it reacts very fast - coming from A-400 it really is a difference. Maybe overclocking causes instability.
Watched Jupiter Ascending in 3D yesterday, something that does not work because of Atmos bug on A-400.

So I am very happy, manually selecting right-eye-first titles is no big deal to me, since I am used to that. I do not see how the Pi can be underpowered, it reacts immediately and selected films start instantly without any problems. Could be that Himedia is a bit faster - but all depends on what you want to do with a mediaplayer.
I have thoght about which player to get for a long time - the Q5 or the Pi2, reading this forum a lot.

Coming from ready made players with issues that manufacturers or even chip designers have to fix, turned me off the Q5, my trust in them fixing bugs is rather minimal - been through this for years and people who paid premium for something like the Zapiti, will probably continue for a very long time.
I personally trust a community more, therefore Kodi on the Pi seem perfect for me.

If it could play 3D ISO it would make things easier, but meanwhile creating MVC MKV is a small price to pay, for playback that actually works.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - nickr - 2015-08-12

Personally I value playback quality over menu speed. RPi2 is just great.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - looun - 2015-08-12

there's big difference from a-400 and Q5(i have both):
1) A-400 use 30% of sigma soc ( not buy all licence )
2) some bug NMT say is problem of sigma SDK (usual game manufacturer <-> SDK ).

1) Q5 use 100% of hisilicon soc
2) Hisilicon and Himedia are both Huawei company,so same company for Soc hardware and software.

rasp pi 2 it's one of best player if you don't have A/V reciver , 7.1 PCM it's good but not equal a 7.1 DTS-HD (you lost matrix back surround and meta data).

new player coming soon ZIDOO X6 Rockchip 3368:
ZIDOO X6 offers
- 4K*2K UHD video playback
- Support HEVE (h.265) 10-Bit Huh
- support HD Audio(7.1CH)、
- 24P frame rate switch freely
- BD-ISO/BDMV and 3D BD-ISO
- HDMI 2.0 4K*60p

Pre-installed ZIDOO customized KODI 15.0 Isengard support Hardware decoding

PS: from freaktab and minixforum report: “RK3368 – It does not support 10bit HEVC, confirmed this with RK."

Interesting. Thought RK3368 couldn't do HD audio, but it seems this does and also HiMedia H8, which Futeko previously indicated wouldn't.

HiMedia H8 from fist test support HD audio and 3d with himediaplayer (like q5).
ZIDOO X6 it's not clear 100%, i suppose ZIDOO customized KODI support Hd audio and 3d like vidon.

strange is "ZD codec" Huh

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - Skank - 2015-08-12

(2015-08-12, 15:43)looun Wrote: HiMedia H8 from fist test support HD audio and 3d with himediaplayer (like q5).
ZIDOO X6 it's not clear 100%, i suppose ZIDOO customized KODI support Hd audio and 3d like vidon.

strange is "ZD codec" Huh

If its a customized kodi, then i'll pass
i dont want that, cause everytime kodi updates, you are dependant of zidoo, to make their changes too
and that doesnt happen, cause they just release a new box for it..

thats why i like himedia, you are not dependant of himedia, to update kodi

i'm still doubting to get H8 instead of q5
only difference is the silicon chip for video quality
but i never use image processing
so do we really see the difference in quality if you dont use the processor of Q5

I think too early to think about changing players unless you want one of these for testing. I'm not a fan of customized Kodi either (especially as I have no idea how Zidoo's support is), but as the native player seems to do 24fps, HD audio and 3D, I'd think HiMedia (or Zidoo) could develop a wrapper as with M3/Q5/Q10 for Kodi.

Also, 24fps is mentioned, but we don't know if 23.976 is supported.

(2015-08-12, 12:07)looun Wrote: rasp pi 2 it's one of best player if you don't have A/V reciver , 7.1 PCM it's good but not equal a 7.1 DTS-HD (you lost matrix back surround and meta data).

I run the Pi2 through an A/V Receiver - but only have a 5.1 setup - so the PCM instead of DTS-HD is ok.

Reading about the audio issues on the Q5 posted by hdmkv a while ago, put me off buying the Q5. The last thing I wanted to get is yet another player with serious issues (audio being pretty important)

Also Himedia loves to chuck out new models - so it could always be that they just concentrate on the new players.

I am probably a bit traumatized through Pocorn Media Players. Never again.

The audio sync issue on Q5 got introduced when they added true 23.976 support. I understand HiMedia is now waiting on HiSilicon to address this. HiMedia has been pretty good with firmware updates to date, so I'm hopeful they'll fix this.

Re: RPi2, I haven't given up on it, but I've been frustrated with it as much as I've been impressed with it, if that makes sense. If I could get it stable, I'd even consider using it as my sole Kodi player for my home theater and get rid of my Chromebox and Q5. I'd even consider converting all my 3D ISO's to MVC MKVs. Anyway, I'll try again with no overclocking and the latest Kodi 16 build.

The key issues I previously had were (1) skipping chapters caused audio to go out of sync with video, (2) enabling both 'Adjust display refresh rate...' and 'Sync playback to display' caused Kodi to go to a blank screen after stopping video playback, and (3) live TV mpeg2 1080i had too many frame skips and drops. I do have licenses for both mpeg2 and VC-1 in my config file. Also, with the few 3D titles that have right-eye first, how do you do a swap so playback looks right?

(2015-08-12, 16:35)3dgeek Wrote:
(2015-08-12, 12:07)looun Wrote: rasp pi 2 it's one of best player if you don't have A/V reciver , 7.1 PCM it's good but not equal a 7.1 DTS-HD (you lost matrix back surround and meta data).

I run the Pi2 through an A/V Receiver - but only have a 5.1 setup - so the PCM instead of DTS-HD is ok.

Reading about the audio issues on the Q5 posted by hdmkv a while ago, put me off buying the Q5. The last thing I wanted to get is yet another player with serious issues (audio being pretty important)

Also Himedia loves to chuck out new models - so it could always be that they just concentrate on the new players.

I am probably a bit traumatized through Pocorn Media Players. Never again.
if audio being pretty important you know if KODI decode the lossy DTS track you lose metatada information

DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1 with 7.1 setup speaker you have 7 separated chanel.
DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1 with 5.1 setup speaker you have 5 separated chanel + 2 virtual chanel.
back surround speaker are recreated with combination of surround speaker.

try with player support DTS-HD MA 7.1 and 5.1 setup speaker wih kodi decoding(PCM) then with passthrough enabled(DTS-HD) to the receiver, there is big difference.You lose virtual back surround speakers and DTS / Ampi DSP optimization.

try 2013 DTS Blu-Ray Demo Disc Vol.17:
- Dredd – DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1
- The Hunger Games – DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1
of fil like Edge.of.Tomorrow DTS-HD MA 7.1

Kodi decoding the lossy DTS track it's good way ,but it's not equal however.

try with 5.1 setup speaker wih kodi decoding then with passthrough enabled to the receiver, there is big difference.You lose virtual back surround speakers and DTS / Ampi DSP optimization.

Kodi decoding the lossy DTS track it's good way ,but it's not equal however.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - popcornmix - 2015-08-12

(2015-08-12, 16:56)hdmkv Wrote: Re: RPi2, I haven't given up on it, but I've been frustrated with it as much as I've been impressed with it, if that makes sense. If I could get it stable, I'd even consider using it as my sole Kodi player for my home theater and get rid of my Chromebox and Q5. I'd even consider converting all my 3D ISO's to MVC MKVs. Anyway, I'll try again with no overclocking and the latest Kodi 16 build.

One problem you had was that MVC support has only been present in unstable/nightly builds, which tend to have breakages for a number of reasons.
MVC (and frame packed output) is supported by Isengard. OSMC has an Isengard image out. OE is not quite released yet, but there is a "pretty close"
Isengard Pi test build here.

Give that a try, and report any issues you find.

Thank you... will try a fresh install with Isengard Pi 2 img file build and report back.

(2015-08-12, 16:56)hdmkv Wrote: Also, with the few 3D titles that have right-eye first, how do you do a swap so playback looks right?

I just checked with PROMETHEUS, whilst playback select the little Film symbol and tick: Invert Stereoscopic 3D mode (flip eyes) - works perfectly.