Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-11-07

Agree. I just scanned through your 3D configuration guide in your signature; nicely done. What is a decent Windows 3D HTPC hardware setup? Anything like Chromebox that's fairly cheap & powerful? If I can have some help compiling a list of recommended PC's, I'll expand the charts on p.1.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Cob2 - 2015-11-07

Yes please. It will be very helpfull

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - brazen1 - 2015-11-07

I would imagine just about any Windows laptop or pc with an O/S 7,8, or 10 is Kodi compliant.
What would matter is what sort of CPU and GPU is in it.
Since everything with W7 included at a minimum:
4GB Ram
HDMI output
i3 or better CPU
I think it's safe to say just about every PC out there will do it all with the extra expense of an external player, simply because of the 3D iso gap.
Converting a perfectly high bitrate 1:1 rip to a stripped version, simply so it will work with device solutions, is not an answer. It's an excuse and terrible work around that kinda' defeats the whole purpose.

Though older single core and dual core cpu's work, they struggle with high bitrate playback but these are pretty vintage yet still worth mention as rips are about space and not quality to many.
I have not seen a 10 year old quad core or higher that struggles with rendering high bitrate audio and video, 2D or 3D.
I use a 10 year old Xeon X5690 since I use my box for everything and not just an HTPC.
This includes the even more popular and common i3 and above processors that have been standard for many years.
Most come with 4GB of ram which is sufficient for heavy skins and heavy mods to those heavy skins.
Any GPU with HDMI 1.4 standard will carry anything tossed at it to modern or older panels.
Most of these specs are common everywhere for years.
I never see anything less on any shelves in this day and age.
Garage sales, clearance items, ebay, hand me downs, etc.
They are everywhere for next to nothing.

So an addition to your chart would be any Windows PC 7 or above to put it bluntly.
To compile a list would overload and cripple Kodi forum servers.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - 3dgeek - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 17:13)hdmkv Wrote: Changing topic to HiMedia Q5, last night I watched 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation' all the way. A local store had copies out early, so nabbed one. Usually, I'm just watching 3D only via Q5, but gotta say, I was really impressed. Excellent PQ, not a single audio drop, not a single stutter or frame skip, and perfect 23.976. Was home theater nirvana.

And that is exactly is what the Pi2 also does, perfect PQ, perfect 23.976 and no audio stutter etc. Not a single fault.

It is funny how you constantly jump from Pi to Q5 and back Angel

Guess in the end they are both simply very good.

Please if you write about faults like green flicker - mark clearly that you are using newest forum Beta release and not the last Isengard. This is just very confusing to people who have not read through the past 100 posts...
A Beta is a Beta and is allowed to have faults ;-)

If you want perfect 2d playback and MVC mkv then Isengard is the right system to run.

If you want to experiment and fiddle around with your player, installing new system every couple of days and try 3D Iso - then go for the Beta, knowing there will be issues.

So users have a clear choice to make an informed decision.

With the Q5 you get what you get and there are faults in the last official version...

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hdmkv - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 18:56)3dgeek Wrote: It is funny how you constantly jump from Pi to Q5 and back Angel
Both are excellent; I use them interchangeably. And, Pi2 gets better with every Kodi 16 build; they're more solid than beta/final firmwares from other manufacturers.

(2015-11-07, 18:38)brazen1 Wrote: I would imagine just about any Windows laptop or pc with an O/S 7,8, or 10 is Kodi compliant.
Need something that can pass HD audio and do perfect 23.976, both under Windows.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - movie78 - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 18:38)brazen1 Wrote: I would imagine just about any Windows laptop or pc with an O/S 7,8, or 10 is Kodi compliant.
Since everything with W7 included at a minimum:
4GB Ram
HDMI output
i3 or better CPU
I think it's safe to say just about every PC out there will do it all with the extra expense of an external player, simply because of the 3D iso gap.
Converting a perfectly high bitrate 1:1 rip to a stripped version, simply so it will work with device solutions, is not an answer. It's an excuse and terrible work around that kinda' defeats the whole purpose.

Though older single core and dual core cpu's work, they struggle with high bitrate playback but these are pretty vintage yet still worth mention as rips are about space and not quality to many.
I have not seen a 10 year old quad core or higher that struggles with rendering high bitrate audio and video, 2D or 3D.
I use a 10 year old Xeon X5690 since I use my box for everything and not just an HTPC.
This includes the even more popular and common i3 and above processors that have been standard for many years.
Most come with 4GB of ram which is sufficient for heavy skins and heavy mods to those heavy skins.
Any GPU with HDMI 1.4 standard will carry anything tossed at it to modern or older panels.
Most of these specs are common everywhere for years.
I never see anything less on any shelves in this day and age.
Garage sales, clearance items, ebay, hand me downs, etc.
They are everywhere for next to nothing.

So an addition to your chart would be any Windows PC 7 or above to put it bluntly.
To compile a list would overload and cripple Kodi forum servers.

Can you do a video demo of your Windows setup?

Thanks!

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - efernandejr - 2015-11-07

Hey guys!

Sorry if this question already exists somewhere else. I looked around and didn't see it in the forum but if you've seen this issue in another thread, please link me.
Love all the work everyone is doing here. Y'all have been extremely helpful in getting my streamer project up and running. I'm just wondering:

I have a HiMedia Q5 4K3D. Everything is working great, so far with just a small hicup here and there which has been corrected along the way. Right now, my latest
thing is I decided to convert all my MKVs to ISO for the chapter skipping support. Works great with blurays but I've noticed that on DVDs, the video looks weird. Looks
like it could be a framerate issue. Like the dvd's are 29.97 and I think the player may be attempting to play them at 23.94. Have any of you encountered this issue before?

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Cob2 - 2015-11-07

And what is better. You can play at windows all you want. Both mvc mkv and iso. Only what I am curious. Is it possible to install windows 7?

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - brazen1 - 2015-11-07

I might consider that.
I have no experience posting video to the internet and could use some A-Z advice.
I have access to an iPhone to film the video and that's about it.
I see many videos posted on YouTube and linked here.
I suppose I could read up on how all this is done and show you my system and all the relevant discussion and then some.
Won't happen overnight but now I'm eager to show how and what can be done with some enthusiastic effort, some attention span, some willingness to learn, think outside of the box and do it as frugal as possible.
This isn't on the top of my to do list but give me some time and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Any suggestions welcome and thanks for asking and taking an interest in my alternative DIY HTPC comments.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - Skank - 2015-11-07

Nice wiki for windows and 3d..
But reading it, realizes me im not going back that route-> win+kodi+external player.

Too settings, changing and stuff to get it to work

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - couto27 - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 20:34)efernandejr Wrote: just a small hicup here and there which has been corrected along the way. Right now, my latest thing is I decided to convert all my MKVs to ISO for the chapter skipping support. Works great with blurays

In my opinion big mistake...
ISO is a CPU/Streamer intensive, and with HD audio and 3D some players will struggle to play without issues.

Just wait when you find seameless branched iso titles.

On the contrary MVC MKV is "ligther" especially with 3D and in my experience it runs with less issues.

I did exaclty the opposite, extract all my ISO to MKV.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - 3dgeek - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 22:52)couto27 Wrote: I did exaclty the opposite, extract all my ISO to MKV.

Same here and playback is absolutely perfect via network on Pi2.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - nickr - 2015-11-07

Mkv's support chapters, unless there is some special problem with mvc mkvs.

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - couto27 - 2015-11-07

And it saves tons of space.. with big bluray libraries makes a lot of difference having 50GB ISO and 25GB MKV..
With UltraHD Bluray around the corner I'm seeing MKV the way to go.

At some point of my collection i decide keep only one or two containers, its saves tons of time when we search for a new player....
Most people don't no but cinavia dont work in MKV container and its very handy when i want to play some of the blurays in the Oppo...

RE: Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - hausmanis - 2015-11-07

Yeah and btw its damn good quality this HTPC, alu chassi with very good build quality
And personally i dont mind exiting Kodi the few times i watch 3d bluray isos to play them from powerDVD forexample
It boots in about 6seconds to so i dunno, sorry but i might be blind but i cant see any catches with this device
it can do it all and it does it flawlessly, hard to complain