Kodi Community Forum
Linux Standalone Ubuntu install stops - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Linux Standalone Ubuntu install stops (/showthread.php?tid=221665)

Pages: 1 2

Standalone Ubuntu install stops - blinking_cursor - 2015-03-18

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a standalone Ubuntu on an ASUS Chromebox M0040.

I have used the EZ setup for a standalone install.

Boot screen shows SeaBIOS version 1.8.0-11-xxx. So far so good.

I'm using the boot menu, and choosing the USB stick that holds the Ubuntu installation.

The install starts, shows the purple screen with the logo at the bottom (normal), then the blinking cursor (normal), and then the display 'flickers' and loses the video signal from the Chromebox. During the 'flicker', it displays a message (too quickly to read it all) with 'no controller found'.

Once the display has gone dark, the USB stick will continue to blink to show activity for about a minute and a half then stop.
This looks like the installation might be continuing, but at that point I cannot see what is happening.

I originally was using Ubuntu 12.04lts, and have tried 14.04lts as well, with the same behavior.

I have also tried using different manufacturer of USB stick, and also SD media for the install.
Each of these has acted the same.

What to do next, to get this working?

Thanks for any help or guidance,

BC

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - still - blinking_cursor - 2015-03-24

Just for grins, I decided to try and install Ubuntu on the SSD outside of the Chromebox on a laptop, and then put it back in.

I didn't really expect much from this method, but thought I should at least give it a try.

Got the GRUB boot menu once, offering Ubuntu, or recovery mode.
Going for broke, chose Ubuntu.

The boot failed, and now booting flashes the purple screen (no logo), then the display loses signal similar to before.

Pressing ESC at power up no longer displays the boot menu.

Have I arrived at 'brick'?

Or is there a way out of this?

Thanks,

BC

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - Matt Devo - 2015-03-24

the display losing signal sounds like an EDID handshaking issue. are you connecting to a PC monitor or TV?

as for the boot menu, start with a fresh USB installer. I'd recommend using HugeGreenBug's Kodibuntu ISO - it's Kodibuntu (14.04) with driver updates/fixes specific for the ChromeBox. Link: https://www.distroshare.com/distros/get/62/

I always use UUI (universal usb installer) for writing ISOs to USB, seems to have the best success rate.

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - blinking_cursor - 2015-03-24

Thanks for the direction, am glad to have something new to try...

Burned the Kodibuntu to a USB (using the Win32DiskImager) and was able to boot to menu (choose boot device), and to the installer menu.

Tried *Try Kodibuntu, and 'Install Kodibuntu'. Same behavior...

Once you have made the choice, blinking cursor for a few seconds, followed by "(some string of numbers) no controller found", then loss of video while USB indicates continued activity for a time.

For viewing, am using the display port, connected to an Asus computer monitor. I had tried a different monitor (Samsung) before. Same result.

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - Matt Devo - 2015-03-24

that's not something I've seen / can reproduce here. I assume you tried using HDMI as well?

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - blinking_cursor - 2015-03-24

yes, when using the HDMI, I do not get any video at all.

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - movie78 - 2015-03-24

Try a different USB Stick and Linus Live creator.

Make sure your Chromebox is network connected..

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - blinking_cursor - 2015-03-25

Hi,

Not familiar with Linus Live creator. What is that?

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - movie78 - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 13:49)blinking_cursor Wrote: Hi,

Not familiar with Linus Live creator. What is that?

Is another Kodibuntu USB creator...

OK, tried Linux Live creator, and used a different USB media as well, to create the Kodibuntu boot media.

This setup created a media that presents a GRUB4DOS menu, that I don't know how to do much with.

Choosing 'command line' takes me to a grub> prompt. Entering 'boot' returns message 'Kernel must be loaded before booting'.
Not knowing how to proceed from there I stopped.
How to load the Kodibuntu from this menu?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To experiment, I used Linux Live to create a Ubuntu 14.04 bootable media. Booting this gives the same result as previously.
Ubuntu begins to load, then loses video.

(2015-03-25, 17:17)blinking_cursor Wrote: OK, tried Linux Live creator, and used a different USB media as well, to create the Kodibuntu boot media.

This setup created a media that presents a GRUB4DOS menu, that I don't know how to do much with.

Choosing 'command line' takes me to a grub> prompt. Entering 'boot' returns message 'Kernel must be loaded before booting'.
Not knowing how to proceed from there I stopped.
How to load the Kodibuntu from this menu?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To experiment, I used Linux Live to create a Ubuntu 14.04 bootable media. Booting this gives the same result as previously.
Ubuntu begins to load, then loses video.

It sound like you got a bad unit,I will return and get a new one.
Assuming if it is still under the return period....

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - Matt Devo - 2015-03-25

2nd

The unit could be bad, but it did work perfectly until I updated the coreboot, in an attempt to get it to a standalone Linux boot state.

My guess is, that it would fail a warranty review, since the BIOS has been modified, and the ChromeOS is no longer on the SSD.

Do you or some of the folks on the forum know, if a warranty replacement can be obtained once the unit has been modified like this?

(2015-03-25, 19:47)blinking_cursor Wrote: The unit could be bad, but it did work perfectly until I updated the coreboot, in an attempt to get it to a standalone Linux boot state.

My guess is, that it would fail a warranty review, since the BIOS has been modified, and the ChromeOS is no longer on the SSD.

Do you or some of the folks on the forum know, if a warranty replacement can be obtained once the unit has been modified like this?

You can always try to reinstall ChromeOS.
Look in the WiKi

RE: Standalone Ubuntu install stops - Matt Devo - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 21:21)movie78 Wrote: You can always try to reinstall ChromeOS.
Look in the WiKi

2nd, I'd re-flash the stock firmware and re-load ChromeOS and see if the problem persists.