Kodi Community Forum
v14 Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: v14 Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? (/showthread.php?tid=223035)

Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - marhutchy - 2015-04-01

I'm new to Kodi. When I used VLC, I always have to sort my shows according to how I want to watch them in a playlist. Each time a new episode airs, I have to repeat the process. I now discovered Kodi, and I love it. I love how I am able to create a smart playlist and have it sorted by air date. However, I want a smart playlist, where it's automatically updated with each new episode and sorted according to my sorting pattern. I now I can do it manually, but I am trying to avoid that. I don't want to have to do it manually each time.

Here's how I always sort it:
Haven
Grimm
The Walking Dead
Shameless
The Americans
Justified
Banshee
Better Call Saul

As you can see, I can't find a way to have the smart playlist sorted like that. I want it to be sorted like that always. Is that possible?

RE: Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - marhutchy - 2015-04-03

So much views, but no response?!

Seriously, a really helpful forum here.

RE: Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - mkortstiege - 2015-04-03

Might be because it's not completely clear what you're trying to achieve. You want to sort the show with the most recent episode on top? Want it sorted in exactly that order? Please elaborate.

(2015-04-03, 15:50)mkortstiege Wrote: Might be because it's not completely clear what you're trying to achieve. You want to sort the show with the most recent episode on top? Want it sorted in exactly that order? Please elaborate.

Thank you so much for responding Smile

I'm aware that we can add TV Shows to a playlist manually, but after I started using Kodi - I love it's current features Smile - I was thinking it could be automated.

Usually, when my shows download, I would add them to VLC and save it as a playlist.
How I add the shows are based on the order I want to watch them.
I would watch comedy first, then crime, then supernatural, followed by drama.
How I sort the comedies, are based on what I think is the funniest/best to be at the end of the list. Same for the other genres.

So I would sort my list like:

Last Man Standing
The Goldbergs
Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory

The Blacklist
Forever
Elementary
Bones
Castle
Grimm

Supernatural
The Walking Dead

Shameless
Banshee
The Americans
Justified
Better Call Saul

I was thinking that if it's possible to get my smart playlist to reflect that?

I was brainstorming, and the only thing I could think of is to tag each TV Show, and add an incrementing number to the tag name, so when new episodes are available, the smart playlist would sort the TV Shows based on the incremented numbers?
Like create the tag comedy01, "02, "03, etc. So:

Last Man Standing - tag comedy01
The Goldbergs - tag comedy02
Modern Family - tag comedy03
The Big Bang Theory - tag comedy04

RE: Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - mkortstiege - 2015-04-03

Not sure if possible right now but I'll think about it. Leaving for some eastern dinner now.

Okay

RE: Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - mkortstiege - 2015-04-04

I have no idea how to achieve this, sorry. I am pretty sure smart playlists are not made for this.

RE: Sort smart playlist according to a custom pattern? - marhutchy - 2015-04-04

(2015-04-04, 12:54)mkortstiege Wrote: I have no idea how to achieve this, sorry. I am pretty sure smart playlists are not made for this.

Can we sort by tags for TV Shows?
Because I would just tag each TV Show, and then sort by the tags.