Kodi Community Forum
Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem (/showthread.php?tid=225712)

Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem - Hufvudet - 2015-04-30

Hey friends!

I hope someone can help me with this. I have the following setup:

- Intel NUC D3410WYK (Intel HD 4400)
- Panasonic ST60 (accepts full color range 0-255)
- Kodi Isengard latest nightly running on windows 7
- I'm using ripped blu rays of high quality as source

The NUC is connected to the ST60 via hdmi, nothing else.

I'm looking to get the most out of my setup picture quality wise (withour using madvr) and I would be grateful for some guidence with my final tweaks. Right now I have set things up like this after some research:

- Kodi - full color range (haven't ticked the box for limited color range) / dxva-hd rendering + software decoding.
- Windows (Control panel): Display driver settings - full color range / Video driver settings - both set to "application settings" value
- TV: set to full color range (RGB 0-255)

The picture looks very good but I'm getting some greyscale banding here and there. I've also tried changing the setup to this (se below) but find the blacks a bit crushed, although more "pop" in the colors. Still some banding though:

- Kodi - limited color range 16-235 / dxva-hd rendering + software decoding.
- Windows (Control panel): Display driver settings - full color range / Video driver settings - both set to "application settings" value
- TV: set to limited color range (RGB 16-235)

Could someone with more knowledge about these things describe to me the optimum setup for correct picture? Or do I have to live with the greyscale banding?

Thanks!

RE: Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem - k4sh1n - 2015-04-30

Hi "Hufvudet"

There does seem to be a few threads outlining issues with Intel GPU's and KODI/DXVA RGB ranges, such as black levels and the same banding issue you have.

Have a look at this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=197387&pid=1731000#pid1731000

Hopefully you can garner some tips to optimize/calibrate your display.

RE: Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem - crawfish - 2015-05-03

(2015-04-30, 12:14)Hufvudet Wrote: - Intel NUC D3410WYK (Intel HD 4400)
- Panasonic ST60 (accepts full color range 0-255)
- Kodi Isengard latest nightly running on windows 7
- I'm using ripped blu rays of high quality as source

The NUC is connected to the ST60 via hdmi, nothing else.

I'm looking to get the most out of my setup picture quality wise (withour using madvr) and I would be grateful for some guidence with my final tweaks. Right now I have set things up like this after some research:

- Kodi - full color range (haven't ticked the box for limited color range) / dxva-hd rendering + software decoding.
- TV: set to full color range (RGB 0-255)

The picture looks very good but I'm getting some greyscale banding here and there. I've also tried changing the setup to this (se below) but find the blacks a bit crushed, although more "pop" in the colors. Still some banding though:

- Kodi - limited color range 16-235 / dxva-hd rendering + software decoding.
- TV: set to limited color range (RGB 16-235)

Could someone with more knowledge about these things describe to me the optimum setup for correct picture? Or do I have to live with the greyscale banding?

Thanks!

I use the second configuration with my ST60 and Nvidia card, except I use hardware decoding and DXVA2. It calibrates very well using Calman Enthusiast and my i1D3 to BT.1886 and is consistent with WMC and my standalone BD player; the AVS HD 709 B/W and color clipping patterns look perfect. There is no grayscale banding. The only downside is that the desktop is crushed, but that's unimportant to me because I only use my TV for watching video. The desktop and programs are still perfectly usable, and many people wouldn't notice anything awry in most programs.

One thing to watch about the ST60 is that using its "1080p Pixel Direct" feature can introduce banding in gradients. If you've enabled it to get full chroma resolution, see if disabling it helps. I leave it off.

You definitely want the card to output full range RGB, and then video players can output Limited Range (aka Video Levels), which is passthrough, or they can output Full Range (aka PC Levels), which means expanding Video to PC Levels, throwing away BTB and WTW, and scaling 16-235 into 0-255. You would choose the latter if you wanted to get consistency between the desktop and video, but it's a compromise. The corresponding TV setting needs to match whatever your video players are outputting.

RE: Full or limited color range / greyscale banding problem - Hufvudet - 2015-07-06

Late reply here but thanks crawfish!

I have since moved on to openelec and now have it setup according to your reasoning = no banding!