Kodi Community Forum
AMLogic - try and fix your Audio and Video playback problems. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: AMLogic - try and fix your Audio and Video playback problems. (/showthread.php?tid=229310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

AMLogic - try and fix your Audio and Video playback problems. - wrxtasy - 2015-06-11

NOTE: Kodi is NOT a AMLogic Firmware installation help forum, users need see their manufacturers website or head over to the Freaktab website for alternative Firmware HERE

I've decided to Edit this thread and add instructions to help AMLogic users that have devices with rubbish Firmware. Ones that have incorrect Read / Write permissions set to allow for proper Kodi 15.2 audio and video playback. If this fix fails for you then your best course of action is the Freaktab website.

Firstly follow the instructions in the Original Post below, steps 1 and 2.
The script you want to add at Step 3 is this:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Also be aware that this script is sometime a bit slow to execute straight after a reboot as it is one of the last things in the startup sequence to execute.

Original post: (enables Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching)
Firstly Your device needs to be Rooted with Superuser or SuperSu installed. Tested on Android 4.4.2.

Steps:
1. Download the app from the Play Store called - Universal Init.d
2. Delete all the test Text present
3. Add or Edit a script and include the following:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
4. Test the script by Executing (top right)
5. Exit and now run any version of SPMC v13.4.0 onwards or Kodi Isengard with Refresh Rate Switching Enabled
(select On Start/Stop):
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#Playback

Note: I used the Test function on this app and received the following response:
"Your Kernel Does Not Have Init.d Support"
but it actually does and works properly. Result may vary of course on various AMlogic devices.

This is actually very easy to write into a devices Firmware without having to use the app.
Those with well supported devices should expect this to be included as standard if you actually alert the Firmware developer to the permissions code needed as given above.

Why Do I need it you Ask ?
This Switching function is particularily useful is you run the Kodi Android GUI at 60Hz and then want to view TV with a frame rate of 25/50fps. Dynamic switching then operates automatically to switch the TV to a 50Hz refresh rate for perfect results on AMlogic devices.
Once AMlogic Firmware devs. get to grips with supporting 23.976fps(24p) video output then we will see perfect sync there as well.
(MINIX , Wetek and HardKernel are the guys doing proper 23.976/59.94Hz / AMlogic video output currently)

Noggin explains everything in detail in this post:
Noggin's Knowledge !

W.
Smile

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching in SPMC or Kodi Isengard on boot - SaEt9000 - 2015-06-11

for avoidance of doubt:
This feature/workaround is limited for amlogic-devices only - is it right?

What is the reason, why it works only on amlogic?
Or does it makes sence to test it on devices with different chipsets?

SaEt9000

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching in SPMC or Kodi Isengard on boot - wrxtasy - 2015-06-11

Yes tested on AMlogic only.
I doubt anyone but the Kodi devs have multiple AMlogic or specific Rockchip SoC's to allow testing of this function.
Koying will definately know which specific Rockchip SoC's

if users have Rockchip then this is the code for you: (Untested)
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
chmod 666 /sys/class/display/display0.HDMI/mode

I will change the Title of the thread once someone tests this actually works properly on a Rockchip device with the Universal Init.d app I have used.

The easy way to test if your Rooted - Rockchip SoC is supported and can use this Switching Feature is to use the Terminal Emulator app:
Code:
su

This will set the correct permission.
Then follow Step #5 in my first post.

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - julius02 - 2015-06-27

hi.
i just got myself an android tv using the s805.
I have installed spmc but have no experience with android so don't know how to apply the match refresh rate.
I have simply plugged the device in and installed the spmc.
Am I right in thinking that the device needs to be modified for me to make changes?
Can I not log in via ftp and change the file?
Could I ask you a favour, can you post me simple steps on how to make this adjustment... from the very start to the end?

thanks

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - wrxtasy - 2015-06-27

Quote:Firstly Your device needs to be Rooted with Superuser or SuperSu installed. Tested on Android 4.4.2.
The question is - SPMC v14.2.0 working correctly ?
Were there any Popups asking for Permissions on first start ?
If there was the chances are Superuser is installed on your system already.

Those are the simple Step by Step instructions already posted above for a Rooted Android device, it does not get any easier than using the Universal Init.d app.

You can do it manually on AMlogic too by using a Terminal Emulator app and type:
Code:
su

But this 666 file permission will be lost every time you reboot.

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - julius02 - 2015-06-27

Yeah no issues with spmc. No pop ups just preparing for first launch when started first time.

I tried the app u mention but when I typed su return it said some kind of error.
I now understand that this is due to it not being rooted??
I have no idea how to root

Thanks

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - wrxtasy - 2015-06-27

Unfortunately I cannot help you with Rooting your device here in this thread, suggest the Freaktab website or a Google search for your specific model.

So this wouldn't be permanent? When you reboot the frame rate setting would revert?

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - wrxtasy - 2015-06-28

It is enabled if you use the Universal Init.d app and enter the script that auto enables this Kodi Frame Rate Switching capability after every reboot.

Well supported Android Firmware from guys like MINIX and HardKernel already have this 666 file permission correctly set without the need for any of this. This is why buying an Android device from a company that will actually implement such features and update their own Firmware regularly is important.

Buying the cheapest Android device with the greatest number of fancy bells and whistles that promises everything and then leaves a users to fix their own Firmware problems (to enable all the features and capabilities of that device), is definitely not the way to go about shopping for an Android media box.

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - julius02 - 2015-06-28

Can you give me a link to a box that has this firmware you talk about?
If I buy this box does that mean I don't need to tweak the refresh settings as will already be permitted or that I will have easy access to this?

When will firmware start resolving this old school frame rate issue??
This shouldn't be something we should worry about nowadays...

Thanks

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - wrxtasy - 2015-06-28

(2015-06-28, 09:46)julius02 Wrote: Can you give me a link to a box that has this firmware you talk about?
Just search over on Freaktab for alternative Firmware (that is likely Rooted already) for your particular S805 device or similarly spec device and ask further questions over there about installing. I cannot do the leg work for you, its off topic for this thread.
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players

Quote:When will firmware start resolving this old school frame rate issue??
Already sorted by AMlogic with their video drivers. Supported in Firmware by MINIX: (perfectly synced 23.976fps video output supported too on certain NEO's) and partially by HardKernel (ODROID-C1). Certain Rockchip devices as well I believe.
http://www.minixforum.com/
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_android_release_note_v1.6

Quote:If I buy this box does that mean I don't need to tweak the refresh settings as will already be permitted or that I will have easy access to this?
Yes.
Enabled in Kodi by > Adjust display refresh rate to match video > On Start/Stop

Please read this thread as well, as it has lots of detailed info:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - mo123 - 2015-08-28

(2015-06-11, 10:51)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes tested on AMlogic only.
I doubt anyone but the Kodi devs have multiple AMlogic or specific Rockchip SoC's to allow testing of this function.
Koying will definately know which specific Rockchip SoC's

if users have Rockchip then this is the code for you: (Untested)
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

I will change the Title of the thread once someone tests this actually works properly on a Rockchip device with the Universal Init.d app I have used.

The easy way to test if your Rooted - Rockchip SoC is supported and can use this Switching Feature is to use the Terminal Emulator app:
Code:
su

This will set the correct permission.
Then follow Step #5 in my first post.

Do you know the code for Rockchip RK3288/RK3368 Lollipop fimware, as this is for KitKat?

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - [Ad0] - 2015-09-07

(2015-08-28, 12:35)mo123 Wrote: Do you know the code for Rockchip RK3288/RK3368 Lollipop fimware, as this is for KitKat?

I am interested in this too. Is there anything extra we have to do who run Android 5.1 and Rockchip RK3368?

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - Ned Scott - 2015-09-07

These instructions won't work on Rockchip devices.

RE: AMlogic - enable Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching on boot: SPMC or Kodi Isengard - [Ad0] - 2015-09-07

(2015-09-07, 02:56)Ned Scott Wrote: These instructions won't work on Rockchip devices.

Any idea what will?