Kodi Community Forum
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC - Printable Version

Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
--- Thread: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=2297)

- elupus - 2008-03-28

InKaKiLLeR
well it has fixed it for many people already. i'm not sure what the xbox actually does, but i suppose it could very well be sending requests without dns suffix. i'll add a way of configuring the xbox dns suffix manually. don't think it's possible to get from dhcp with the xdk dhcp client.

- pt-1 - 2008-03-28

Could a MytH/XBMC user be so kind and post a screenshot so I get an understanding how this implementation is now built into the Videos Menu ?

THX

PT-1

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-03-28

InKaKiLLeR Wrote:I don't own a router, but uses a *BSD box as my gateway. So instead I installed dnsmasq on my MythTV backend system, and added the hostname to the hosts file. I then changed the DHCP settings for my XBOX, so that the the first DNS server provided is the MythTV backend system running dnsmask. This way I got the possibility to do shortname lookups.

I now have a working XBMC - XBOX MythTV solution with the T3CH build from the 23th of March.
/M

I tried this on my mythbuntu backend. I could not find a way to run DNS without running DHCP. I am a bit concerned about a second DHCP server on the LAN. My xboxes all have static IP addresses. I expect that I am going to wait for elepus to solve it so I can just input the IP address like I do with the xbmcmythtv script. I don't want to reflash my router either just for this.

Can anyone confirm that the current CVS/SVN version is compatible with a .21 myth backend? The DNS issue is irrelevant to me if the current version is not using protocol 40.

pt-1 Wrote:Could a MytH/XBMC user be so kind and post a screenshot so I get an understanding how this implementation is now built into the Videos Menu ?

THX

PT-1
Can't do a screen shot, but if you go into videos and create source like:

myth://username:[email protected]

when you click on it, it will bring up Recordings and Livetv.

In place of the stupid smiley put a colon and a 'p' and in colon password.

- Bram77 - 2008-03-28

Ok, I finaly got the mythtv backend (only) running. All seems to be fine. I've configured the backend so that I can connect to it from my XBOX. The XBOX won't connect (yet) but my XBMC for Linux (on the same machine as the MythTV Backend) does! I have a "Live TV" and "Recordings" folder and I can see the configured channels. But when I try to start a channel, nothing happens. This is the log from console where I've only started XBMC, went directly to Films->MythTV->LiveTV and started a channel. After this I've closed XBMC4Lin and copied the output in the console...

Code:
WARNING: The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 8, got version 40
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 40, got version 40
(cmyth)__cmyth_rcv_proginfo: got recording info
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname ''
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(, 6543, 16384) failed
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://:6543) failed
CRITSEC[0x8c4b004]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CritSect[0x8c4b004]: Some other thread trying to leave our critical section.WARNING: The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname ''
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(, 6543, 16384) failed
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://:6543) failed
CRITSEC[0x8c4b004]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CritSect[0x8c4b004]: Some other thread trying to leave our critical section.

The location I use to connect with the backend (on the same machine) is myth://myth:[email protected]
The mythbackend is configured to accept remote connections (external eth address => 10.1.1.212 ; pin 0000). What am I missing?

- joebidalli - 2008-03-28

lingenfr_xbmc, I'm using using XBMC with current Myth SVN. Works with a single tuner. I'm have issues with my second tuner though.

- joebidalli - 2008-03-28

Bram77, seems like the DNS Problem.

When XBMC connect to the Myth Backend for Channel Listing or recordings it uses the configured settings. (In my case myth://mythtv:[email protected]:6543/channels/30.ts). You the Backend responds to a Recording or LiveTV request it changes the URL to the Backends host name. (Again in my case myth://Myth-TV:6543/myth/recording/livetv/1030_20080328152465.mpg)

Therefore a service is required to resolve Myth-TV. In my case I use the linuc /etc/hosts file. Others use DNS settings in there router. Both work.

The thing I find odd about your case is the it's blank. Wonder is your hostname on the backend is not set properly?

- Bram77 - 2008-03-28

Thanks for the response. That's exacly what I was thinking.
Where does libcmith get the hostname from. I was looking at the source, but I can only find pointers to 'server', so far.

- Bram77 - 2008-03-28

What I find even less understandable is that myth://mythtv:[email protected] does provide a connection, but when that connection is used for opening a file it doesn't work. I'd think the same connection info is used in both cases. Or would an empty server var automatically result in the assumption the server is 'localhost'?

- Bram77 - 2008-03-28

Maybe this reveals a bit more in the mystery... Mythweb doesn't have access to mysql

Code:
Database Access Denied

You are most likely receiving this message because you
have failed to configure mythweb's database login info.

Please see INSTALL for instructions.

- joebidalli - 2008-03-29

Bram77, I believe the connections info for actually watching a recording/livetv is sent from the Myth Backend. The Channel Number or Recording Name are converted to actual file information when you choose a Channel or Recording.

I would check "hostname" on your backend and make sure its set and check the Backend Configuration under the General tab.

- InKaKiLLeR - 2008-03-29

lingenfr_xbmc Wrote:I tried this on my mythbuntu backend. I could not find a way to run DNS without running DHCP. I am a bit concerned about a second DHCP server on the LAN. My xboxes all have static IP addresses. I expect that I am going to wait for elepus to solve it so I can just input the IP address like I do with the xbmcmythtv script. I don't want to reflash my router either just for this.

Can anyone confirm that the current CVS/SVN version is compatible with a .21 myth backend? The DNS issue is irrelevant to me if the current version is not using protocol 40.

lingenfr_xbmc,

If you install the dnsmasq package (sudo aptitude install dnsmasq) on your mythbuntu box, and use the stock configuration no DHCP server will be started, check with netstat -an |grep 68.

I'm using 0.21 mythbackend with T3CH latest.

/M

- Bram77 - 2008-03-29

joebidalli Wrote:Bram77, I believe the connections info for actually watching a recording/livetv is sent from the Myth Backend. The Channel Number or Recording Name are converted to actual file information when you choose a Channel or Recording.

I would check "hostname" on your backend and make sure its set and check the Backend Configuration under the General tab.

I made a backup of my channel configuration table and deleted and uninstalled everything everything that has anything to do with mythtv. Now I have reinstalled and reconfigured everything. Now at least the mythfrontend is working as expected. But when I start the a channel from XBMC4lin my session crashes. I have to do a CTRL+ALT+backspace to regain control. So I can't check the output in my console. Is there anywhere where I can find a log that contains the information I'm looking for?

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-03-29

joebidalli Wrote:lingenfr_xbmc, I'm using using XBMC with current Myth SVN. Works with a single tuner. I'm have issues with my second tuner though.

That is probably all or part of the problem. I have two tuners in my master backend and one in a slave backend.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.