Kodi Community Forum
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=2297)

- ptipton - 2008-04-12

Skitals- if you are using Ubuntu Gutsy then upgrading to Hardy fixes the stuttering as per previous post by Solver. This worked for me. If not using Gutsy maybe a similar asla driver problem?

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-04-12

If you don't want to upgrade to Hardy, I have been able to get smooth playback by highlighting the channel, pressing Title, Play using and mplayer (rather than DVDPlayer). I am going to try and find out how to change the default.

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-04-12

Nick8888 Wrote:I dont think you will find many in-depth features added until a universal dvr frontend server/client feature is implemented. You will find another thread in these forums covering this.

Seems to me that elepus and crew are doing it. A feature at a time. This is one of the problems with open source development. In the quest to support everything, often you end up with nothing. Sourceforge and the Internet are littered with such projects. There are plenty of features supported by mythbackend/frontend that will be great in XBMC. I hope that elepus and crew don't get sidetracked with a 'universal' project.

- ptipton - 2008-04-13

Having some issues using two xbmc frontends ( one xbox one linux) with one single tuner backend.
If the xbox frontend is ,or even has been, running the linux frontend wont connect at all ( even if xbox front end is then switched off). The Linux frontend freezes and wont connect until the backend has been rebooted. Log of linux frontend here http://www.pastebin.ca/983367
I I fire up the linux frontend livetv and then start the xbox then if I try to select a channel other than the one linux frontend is tuned to then the xbox freezes, if I select the same channel that linux frontend is tuned to then the xbox shows that channel but the linux machine stops showing it.
Ideally with a single tuner would like to be able to watch the same channel on multiple frontends and notified of a conflict with options to resolve it if you try and watch another channel.
Thanks

- Skitals - 2008-04-13

ptipton Wrote:Skitals- if you are using Ubuntu Gutsy then upgrading to Hardy fixes the stuttering as per previous post by Solver. This worked for me. If not using Gutsy maybe a similar asla driver problem?

My backend is Ubuntu 8.04 running 0.21-fixes. I'm running XBMC t3ch build from 4-6-2008 on my Xbox.

- ptipton - 2008-04-14

Skitals Wrote:My backend is Ubuntu 8.04 running 0.21-fixes. I'm running XBMC t3ch build from 4-6-2008 on my Xbox.
Skitals, sorry misunderstood that the problem was with an XBMC Linux front end. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 backend and have same T3CH release xbox front end on a wired netwrok and playback is smooth.

- wyild1 - 2008-04-14

First would like to save, i LOVE the myth support built into XBMC. You guys rock! I have a suggestion, dunno if its possible. My recordings list is super long, and i know its just dumping from the HD, but is there at least any way that when you go to recordings, it just shows the Show titles as...i dunno like a folder i guess. Then selecting the show will show all the recordings underneath? I dunno how simple that is to implement, but it would make the recordings a bit cleaner?

Just a thought! Keep up the great work and ill keep testing this! Wish i could get it to compile in linux, but ill keep working on it Smile

Cheers!

- ptipton - 2008-04-15

One suggestion- would it be possible to make it so that when in the livetv screen you hit a button ( ideally info button if this not already used) and it displays the guide data for that channel. If this could be done the separate guide page would not really be needed. Thanks

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-04-15

ptipton Wrote:One suggestion- would it be possible to make it so that when in the livetv screen you hit a button ( ideally info button if this not already used) and it displays the guide data for that channel. If this could be done the separate guide page would not really be needed. Thanks

Right now the info button brings up the current programs info in the livetv view. The only thing I could think of is perhaps have the rest of the guide data take the place of the "Cast" info. You could then add a visibility control to that button so it would show as "Guide" instead of "Cast" if you are looking at livetv. However, since one of the google SOC projects is a full epg the devs might not want to invest too much time into this since it might become obsolete in a short time.

- jerkychew - 2008-04-16

For us mere mortals, is there a basic HOWTO on setting this up in XBMC? I pored over pages and pages of the thread but got a bit lost on what was needed in my XBMC setup to connect to my Mythbox.

Somebody posted to the mythtv-users mailing list that it's now just as easy as adding a source of myth://dbusername:[email protected] but when I try to add a source in my XBMC (Xbox, the latest T3CH build compiled April 6th) I can only choose the pre-canned protocols like SMB, FTP, etc. I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Great work, by the way - This was very close to what I had in mind when I posted in this thread months ago Big Grin

- ptipton - 2008-04-16

jerkychew Wrote:For us mere mortals, is there a basic HOWTO on setting this up in XBMC? I pored over pages and pages of the thread but got a bit lost on what was needed in my XBMC setup to connect to my Mythbox.

Somebody posted to the mythtv-users mailing list that it's now just as easy as adding a source of myth://dbusername:[email protected] but when I try to add a source in my XBMC (Xbox, the latest T3CH build compiled April 6th) I can only choose the pre-canned protocols like SMB, FTP, etc. I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Great work, by the way - This was very close to what I had in mind when I posted in this thread months ago Big Grin

I dont think you can add the share from XBMC menus you need to edit sources.xml. Your source looks correct assuming 192.168.1.1 is the myth backend ip.
If on an xbox you might need to use the DNS fix mentioned earlier in the thread and you might try using the hostname for the backend rather than the ip.

- ptipton - 2008-04-16

Rand Al Thor Wrote:Right now the info button brings up the current programs info in the livetv view. The only thing I could think of is perhaps have the rest of the guide data take the place of the "Cast" info. You could then add a visibility control to that button so it would show as "Guide" instead of "Cast" if you are looking at livetv. However, since one of the google SOC projects is a full epg the devs might not want to invest too much time into this since it might become obsolete in a short time.

Looked up the SOC project, looks perfect- can't wait.

Believe info button brings up current programs info when actually watching liveTV, what I was thinking though was when you were in the live tv channel list page with a channel highlighted you could hit one button to select and watch that channel and another button to jump to the guide page for that channel.
As you mention probably not a priority if it will become obsolete.

- aaronb - 2008-04-16

ptipton Wrote:I dont think you can add the share from XBMC menus you need to edit sources.xml. Your source looks correct assuming 192.168.1.1 is the myth backend ip.
If on an xbox you might need to use the DNS fix mentioned earlier in the thread and you might try using the hostname for the backend rather than the ip.

I set mine up on the Xbox from the XBMC menu.

- elupus - 2008-04-16

you can just manually enter it with the virtual keyboard while in xbmc add source dialog.

- ptipton - 2008-04-18

ptipton Wrote:Having some issues using two xbmc frontends ( one xbox one linux) with one single tuner backend.
If the xbox frontend is ,or even has been, running the linux frontend wont connect at all ( even if xbox front end is then switched off). The Linux frontend freezes and wont connect until the backend has been rebooted. Log of linux frontend here http://www.pastebin.ca/983367
If I fire up the linux frontend livetv and then start the xbox then if I try to select a channel other than the one linux frontend is tuned to then the xbox freezes, if I select the same channel that linux frontend is tuned to then the xbox shows that channel but the linux machine stops showing it.
Ideally with a single tuner would like to be able to watch the same channel on multiple frontends and notified of a conflict with options to resolve it if you try and watch another channel.
Thanks

Elupus- was wondering if you had a chance to look at this? Many Thanks.