Kodi Community Forum
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC - Printable Version

Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
--- Thread: MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=2297)

- dubstar_04 - 2008-05-30

I installed xbmc linux on my main media center on thursday and it works beautifully, fast elegant, and it plays so smoothly. Its come along way since I tried it in november!!

Just a few questions. are there any skins that offer a proper epg for myth data?

I can't wait until this can be used as a full time replacement for myth-frontend!!

Great work,

Dubstar_04

- topfs2 - 2008-05-30

dubstar_04 Wrote:I installed xbmc linux on my main media center on thursday and it works beautifully, fast elegant, and it plays so smoothly. Its come along way since I tried it in november!!

Just a few questions. are there any skins that offer a proper epg for myth data?

I can't wait until this can be used as a full time replacement for myth-frontend!!

Great work,

Dubstar_04

Unfortuanatly no, the GUI for the EPG isn't created at all. The best if you need a EPG is the xbmcmythtv script but I reckon you don't run on xbox by the sounds of it. If so then python script isn't working 100% and I suspect the same with the mythtv script.

To the good news is that there is a GSoC active regarding the GUI for the EPG and such so perhaps at the end of the summer

/Topfs2

- dubstar_04 - 2008-05-30

I run 2 ubuntu machines, one one backend / frontend in the living room, and a frontend in the bedroom. I might digg out the xbox and update it. I stopped using xbmc because I had terrible experiences with the xbmcmyth plugin. it was always unpredictable for me!!

Thanks for all the development everyone, especially elupus.

Really great work!!

- BigYesh - 2008-05-31

I've been trying to get this to work for a while now, and I was having a lot of trouble with nothing being listed in the Live Channels section despite it seeming to connect properly and despite Recordings and the Guide working fine. As it turned out, it was because my tuners numbers run from 20-25, and as such don't get checked for in the code. Another person with a similar problem is here: [url=http://osdir.com/ml/multimedia.mvpmc.user/2007-06/msg00007.html][/url]http://osdir.com/ml/multimedia.mvpmc.user/2007-06/msg00007.html

His recommendation of using GET_NEXT_FREE_RECORDER seems like a good move. Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks for all your hard work.

What skin are people using for Myth TV support? - dteirney - 2008-06-02

Just wondering what skin people are using for Myth TV support. By support I mean some way of getting to either Live TV or Myth TV recordings directly from the home page.

There doesn't appear to be anything native in Project Mayhem III.

Rand Al Thor did a great job with the AeonMod for the ALPHA9A release of Aeon.

Aeon ALPHA10 was just released and will have updates over the next few months. Rand Al Thor won't be updating his AeonMod as he's working on his own skin. I'm going to keep working on trying to hijack the Clips menu entry.

xTV can be tweaked to have a Myth TV menu entry from the home page and I made some Myth TV images specifically for that. Personally I think Aeon is much better for an HD TV though.

What skins are other people using?

- ubuntite - 2008-06-04

I am still having issues streaming myth recordings to my wireless xboxes. Whether I use DVDPlayer or MPlayer, my playback constantly buffers, yet if I use the MythTV plugin, I can stream the same recordings perfectly fine with no buffering using DVDPlayer or MPlayer.

Is this a known issue being worked on?

- elupus - 2008-06-04

ubuntite:
It's a know problem, but no it isn't worked at the moment. The myth protocol just seem too slow to transfer data. Btw, did you test the dll posted by me earlier in this thread?

- ubuntite - 2008-06-04

elupus Wrote:ubuntite:
It's a know problem, but no it isn't worked at the moment. The myth protocol just seem too slow to transfer data. Btw, did you test the dll posted by me earlier in this thread?

Just tried it. I don't know if that library is used with DVDPlayer and MPlayer, but this is what I noticed. Still stuttered with DVDPlayer, but seemed to work with MPlayer with cache dropping to 0% every couple of minutes -- a big improvement, but would prefer to be using the default player instead of having to use multiple extra button presses.

- elupus - 2008-06-05

ubuntite, does dvdplayer still stutter if you pause it for a few secs, then resume playing? It will not stutter to start with, but if you look at the AQ/VQ values with codec info up, if they continuously decrease it will start stuttering eventually.

- ubuntite - 2008-06-05

elupus Wrote:ubuntite, does dvdplayer still stutter if you pause it for a few secs, then resume playing? It will not stutter to start with, but if you look at the AQ/VQ values with codec info up, if they continuously decrease it will start stuttering eventually.

If I pause the recording, the cache builds up. On resume, the cache quickly depletes until empty, at which point the recording pauses while it buffers the cache once again.

I ran some tests that may be of interest or may shed further light on the subject.

Original recording 720x480 mpeg2. Transcoding 640x480 mpeg4 nuv. Wireless XBOX running Jun 1 T3CH.

Code:
[b][u]DVDPlayer[/u][/b]               [b][u]MPlayer[/u][/b]

[u]Built-in MythTV client:[/u]

mpeg2 (2 GB/hr)         0%                      50-60%
                                (1)                     (2)

mpeg4 nuv (1 GB/hr)     30-40%                  80%
                                (3)                     (4)(5)

[u]MythTV plugin:[/u]

mpeg2 (2 GB/hr)         30-35%                  70-80%

mpeg4 nuv (1 GB/hr)     40-50%                  80%
                                (3)                     (4)

[u]Additional Comments:[/u]
(1)  Rebuffers constantly.
(2)  Cache occasionally drops to 0% requiring rebuffering.
(3)  Aspect ratio displayed incorrectly.
(4)  Duration displayed incorrectly. Skipping forward and backward broken.
(5)  Takes up to 3 minutes before recording begins to play.

- dubstar_04 - 2008-06-05

Is this only a problem with xbox's? I am running xbmc on the same pc as the backend and one seperate frontend too and both work fine!

Some times the buffer dialog pops up for half a second before the video plays but it never stalls or rebuffers!

- ubuntite - 2008-06-05

dubstar_04 Wrote:Is this only a problem with xbox's? I am running xbmc on the same pc as the backend and one seperate frontend too and both work fine!

Some times the buffer dialog pops up for half a second before the video plays but it never stalls or rebuffers!

This problem is specific to WIRELESS streaming using the built-in myth protocol support. I happen to be experiencing problems with that configuration on xbox hardware. I have no problems with my xboxes that are wired.

- dubstar_04 - 2008-06-07

Which version of mythtv are you using?

I have noticed that in version 21 the transfer of information between the frontend and the backend is really slow compared to 20+fixes

Maybe this has been causing issues?

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-06-07

I am using ver 21. Mythtv-frontend and xbmcmythtv both work fine. I have attached a log from the T3CH 06-01 (with the included dll) build. It stutters immediately, then buffers and eventually freezes. In this example, I hit the stop button before it locked up the xbox tight. As elepus suggested in other tests, I have attempted pausing. It plays smooth for a few seconds and then starts the stutter/buffer/freeze pattern again.

- lingenfr_xbmc - 2008-06-07

Gosh I wish they would would let us edit our posts. Here is the link to the log:

http://pastebin.com/m20b7ae34

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.