Kodi Community Forum
Release ESPN 3 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release ESPN 3 (/showthread.php?tid=230418)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: ESPN 3 - wolfie7873 - 2016-09-18

So, here's a new symptom. I tried to watch my first football game this evening on my RPi through Kodi and the ESPN3 plugin. It was an ACCExtra game.

All of the previous broadcasts I watched were sports other than football, and they worked just fine. Football, however, has commercials. The stream starts fine, but then when the game returns from a commercial break, the video looks like it's playing at 1.5x speed as if it's trying to catch up to somewhere.

RE: ESPN 3 - MetalChris - 2016-09-18

(2016-09-18, 02:44)wolfie7873 Wrote: So, here's a new symptom. I tried to watch my first football game this evening on my RPi through Kodi and the ESPN3 plugin. It was an ACCExtra game.

All of the previous broadcasts I watched were sports other than football, and they worked just fine. Football, however, has commercials. The stream starts fine, but then when the game returns from a commercial break, the video looks like it's playing at 1.5x speed as if it's trying to catch up to somewhere.

This happens to me also, and not just on ACCExtra. Sometimes the speed will normalize after 15 or 20 seconds, but without the audio. Choosing a different stream quality does not seem to have any effect on whether or not this will happen after the commercials. The only thing I can do is to restart the stream, and then it will play correctly until the next break.

This issue also existed in older versions of the add-on prior to the @awaters1 revival.

RE: ESPN 3 - awaters1 - 2016-09-18

It plays okay for me, if you go to CodecInfo (http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo) hotkey 'o', does it say anything next to drop or skip? If drop is greater than 0 then the computer is too slow to decode the video so it is dropping frames from the buffer to catch up to real-time. The addon doesn't control any of the video playback, that is all handled by Kodi, the only part the addon controls is the initial selection for which bitrate to use.

RE: ESPN 3 - wolfie7873 - 2016-09-18

But why would it be able to decode SportsCenter just fine, and anything without non-broadcast commercials perfectly fine and only choke on ESPN3 commercials?

ps - do i have to have a keyboard to activate the codecinfo screen?

RE: ESPN 3 - MetalChris - 2016-09-18

(2016-09-18, 04:16)awaters1 Wrote: It plays okay for me, if you go to CodecInfo (http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo) hotkey 'o', does it say anything next to drop or skip? If drop is greater than 0 then the computer is too slow to decode the video so it is dropping frames from the buffer to catch up to real-time. The addon doesn't control any of the video playback, that is all handled by Kodi, the only part the addon controls is the initial selection for which bitrate to use.

Drop = 0 on three different systems. As @wolfie7873 noted, this only occurs when there are actual commercials during the break. If during the break only the ESPN splash screen with the 'Your event is in a commercial break' message is displayed, the stream continues without issue after the break has concluded. It's weird, I always figured it was something on the ESPN end that was causing this, since I haven't experienced this particular issue with other add-ons. Perhaps future versions of Kodi will handle this better.

(2016-09-18, 05:20)wolfie7873 Wrote: But why would it be able to decode SportsCenter just fine, and anything without non-broadcast commercials perfectly fine and only choke on ESPN3 commercials?

There may be another method, but as far as I know, yes, you need a keyboard.

RE: ESPN 3 - mrdally204 - 2016-09-19

(2016-09-18, 05:20)wolfie7873 Wrote: But why would it be able to decode SportsCenter just fine, and anything without non-broadcast commercials perfectly fine and only choke on ESPN3 commercials?

You can use remote applications on Mobile/tablets as well. I know for sure that Yatsi for Android does it.

RE: ESPN 3 - japes - 2016-09-20

I watched the entire Monday Night Football game last night on my Raspberry Pi3 using OSMC. It worked fine. I had a 3 second issue after a break where it did the speed up thing twice towards the end but it was less than 3 seconds. One of those instances it did buffer. If there is someway I can help let me know but using a Pi3 to watch football for Two weeks now with no issues.

The closest thing I have to an issue is if I pause and rewind...If I skip forward to fast it freezes up and I have to restart the stream but other than that I feel it's successful for my use on a Pi3.

RE: ESPN 3 - awaters1 - 2016-09-21

That is good to hear it is working for you. Yes, skipping/pausing are problematic with Kodi's streaming, hopefully the planned InputStream will pan out in the future releases to allow for better handling of Internet streams. I was actually looking into making this a PVR addon to add in an EPG and the full DVR suite but I'm not sure if it will be as easy as it was to do the addon.

RE: ESPN 3 - mrdally204 - 2016-09-21

(2016-09-21, 03:30)awaters1 Wrote: That is good to hear it is working for you. Yes, skipping/pausing are problematic with Kodi's streaming, hopefully the planned InputStream will pan out in the future releases to allow for better handling of Internet streams. I was actually looking into making this a PVR addon to add in an EPG and the full DVR suite but I'm not sure if it will be as easy as it was to do the addon.

Something like this what you had in mind?

RE: ESPN 3 - awaters1 - 2016-09-22

Yes, something like that, I was hoping to leverage the PVR functionality within Kodi but it looks like I would need to extend a PVR backend like tvheadend to work with ESPN and have tvheadend interface with Kodi's PVR functionality.

RE: ESPN 3 - awaters1 - 2016-09-22

I started updating the wiki page http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:ESPN_3 feel free to make edits and/or suggest them here.

RE: ESPN 3 - csun_mizzou - 2016-10-14

First of all, a big thank you to all who work on this add-on. Being able to watch ESPN3 on Kodi is a true blessing. I have a problem with seek/skip going berserk after some time into a game. The following is a description and a URL for the log file.

Using ESPN3 add-on, I navigated to replay of a game.
It doesn’t matter which game, I can reliably reproduce the errors over multiple files from different sports off of the ESPN3 add-on
Initially, skip step function works perfectly with small forward skip, skipping 10 seconds, and small backward skip, skipping -10 seconds.
But after around some time into the file (say 20 minutes), both small forward and backwards skips now skip 8 or so minutes forwards. The GUI will show SEEKING +00:10 but the time below will show that there was an actual jump of 8 minutes from 1:30:35 to 1:38:05 or something like that.

Reading through this forum post, some discuss problems after a commercial break. The poster seems to indicate that when ESPN3 chops off the commercial breaks for replay, something involving the time code gets messed up. The fact that the problem doesn’t exhibit itself until after some time seems to support this theory.

I tried to change the usetimeseeking from time based to percentage based via the advancedsettings.xml, but it didn’t seem to work. I am actually unsure that Kodi changed to percentage seeking because it still shows SEEKING +00:10. The log file did indicate that the contents of my advancedsettings.xml were loaded.

Windows 8.1
Dell Optiplex 9010 i5-3470, 8GB RAM
Kodi 16.1, April 24, 2016
ESPN3 Version 2.9.21
Here is my Kodi log file of the replicated problems.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/23321343/

I don't know my way around Kodi very well, but I am willing to learn.

RE: ESPN 3 - fe33er - 2016-10-14

(2016-09-18, 19:41)MetalChris Wrote:
(2016-09-18, 04:16)awaters1 Wrote: It plays okay for me, if you go to CodecInfo (http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo) hotkey 'o', does it say anything next to drop or skip? If drop is greater than 0 then the computer is too slow to decode the video so it is dropping frames from the buffer to catch up to real-time. The addon doesn't control any of the video playback, that is all handled by Kodi, the only part the addon controls is the initial selection for which bitrate to use.

Drop = 0 on three different systems. As @wolfie7873 noted, this only occurs when there are actual commercials during the break. If during the break only the ESPN splash screen with the 'Your event is in a commercial break' message is displayed, the stream continues without issue after the break has concluded. It's weird, I always figured it was something on the ESPN end that was causing this, since I haven't experienced this particular issue with other add-ons. Perhaps future versions of Kodi will handle this better.

There may be another method, but as far as I know, yes, you need a keyboard.

Hi, I have watched ESPN3 streams in ffplay/ffmpeg and experienced the same thing with loss of sound, -map 0:1 (which is sound) cannot be decoded, so i dont think its a Kodi issue.

RE: ESPN 3 - Slayer_ch - 2016-10-15

We have the same problem with the ESPN Player addon. Something with the commercials cut out creates these problems. It's getting really bad after the first half of the game. Before it seems to work pretty good. No idea how to fix it.

RE: ESPN 3 - ian1095 - 2016-10-15

As ive posted before mines the opposite.

If the commercials show it remains in sync, if they show the caption, when the program returns its way out of sync.

weird or what ?