Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) (/showthread.php?tid=231092)

Re: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - Milhouse - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 02:00)f1vefour Wrote: I am still experiencing the same crashes.

If you're experiencing crashes, where is your crashlog with evidence of the crash? If you're not getting a crashlog, stop saying it crashes (or explain more clearly what is actually happening to make you think it is crashing). I tried your file, there was no crash although it did freeze the GUI after 20-odd plays.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - f1vefour - 2015-08-24

I have described what happens and provided the log of it happening and the file that makes it happen, kodi is locking up and will not stop or restart. The audio repeats rapidly. Issuing reboot over ssh causes the device to be lost to network but never actually reboots. Hench crashing, how can I provide a log when a log isn't generated mate. It is doing something at the GPU level, I believe it's in the firmware.

Perhaps the sample isn't large enough for the issue I'm experiencing with the actual files. I tried stopping and starting Kodi, no change. Frozen image on screen and audio repeating still, it's not like it was for you Milhouse as I can't simply restart Kodi.

I'm just trying to help, I have other devices to play the files. Tell me what else I can provide and I will do my best to make it happen.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - wchick132 - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 02:32)f1vefour Wrote: I have described what happens and provided the log of it happening and the file that makes it happen, kodi is locking up and will not stop or restart. The audio repeats rapidly. Issuing reboot over ssh causes the device to be lost to network but never actually reboots. Hench crashing, how can I provide a log when a log isn't generated mate. It is doing something at the GPU level, I believe it's in the firmware.

Perhaps the sample isn't large enough for the issue I'm experiencing with the actual files. I tried stopping and starting Kodi, no change. Frozen image on screen and audio repeating still, it's not like it was for you Milhouse as I can't simply restart Kodi.

I'm just trying to help, I have other devices to play the files. Tell me what else I can provide and I will do my best to make it happen.

I'd also downloaded your x265 sample video and tested. There wasn't any problem with playback. Of course, I only test once and didn't repeat so many times.

If you can tell me which season and episode, I might be able to test the full length of the episode on my RPi2 instead of your short sample.

Re: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - f1vefour - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 02:43)wchick132 Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 02:32)f1vefour Wrote: I have described what happens and provided the log of it happening and the file that makes it happen, kodi is locking up and will not stop or restart. The audio repeats rapidly. Issuing reboot over ssh causes the device to be lost to network but never actually reboots. Hench crashing, how can I provide a log when a log isn't generated mate. It is doing something at the GPU level, I believe it's in the firmware.

I'd also downloaded your x265 sample video and tested. There wasn't any problem with playback. Of course, I only test once and didn't repeat so many times.

If you can tell me which season and episode, I might be able to test the full length of the episode on my RPi2 instead of your short sample.
It's any of the episodes, it happens on all of them.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - wchick132 - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 02:49)f1vefour Wrote: It's any of the episodes, it happens on all of them.

I played quite a number of episodes of 'Friends' and there wasn't any problem after build #0818 or before build #0712. I guess we used the same source of x265 video files, with embedded English subtitles. Just to be sure, file size of the 1st episode of seaon 1 is 95,268,883 bytes, isn't it? May I asked what skin you're using? I'm using Confluence and CCM Helix.

(2015-08-24, 02:32)f1vefour Wrote: Issuing reboot over ssh causes the device to be lost to network but never actually reboots. Hench crashing

Call me a pedant, but when a device locks up it usually isn't described as "crashing" (a crash would suggest a process has quit unexpectedly - in the case of Kodi producing a crashlog, or if the kernel a backtrace).

I don't dispute you are experiencing a problem of some kind that isn't easy to reproduce, just asking that the problem is described accurately.

(2015-08-24, 02:49)f1vefour Wrote: It's any of the episodes, it happens on all of them.

Are you able to identify the build when the problem started?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - afremont - 2015-08-24

As for my problem with the frame skipping on 720p stuff, I went from build 0819 to 0822b. I don't think it was happening on 0819, but I'm not sure. Can I work my way backwards by installing an older version on top of a newer on i.e. 0821 followed by 0820 etc? I'd like to identify the first release that started doing this, but I don't want to trash my system by downgrading.

I'm kinda stupid and I don't make database backups or image my flash card before upgrading. I don't feel good about the long term consequences of swapping flash cards daily in terms of wear and tear on the connector. I've already made my power jack a little flaky from all the playing I did when my RPi2 was new.

(2015-08-24, 03:24)afremont Wrote: Can I work my way backwards by installing an older version on top of a newer on i.e. 0821 followed by 0820 etc?

Yes.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - afremont - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 03:28)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 03:24)afremont Wrote: Can I work my way backwards by installing an older version on top of a newer on i.e. 0821 followed by 0820 etc?

Yes.

Okay, thanks for that. I went back to 0819 and it was okay, no constant frame skipping on 720p. I worked my way forward and 0820 and 0821 are fine, 0822b skips frames constantly and loses audio sync. 0823 did the same thing, so it looks like something in 0822b broke for MMAL, 720p live TV and recordings.

Setup is Mythbuntu back end, HDHomerun for TV tuning, RPi2 front end
OMXPLayer unchecked
MMAL checked
Adjust refresh rate unchecked
Resample Audio

Is there anything else that I can supply that might help? Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm back on 0821 for the time being. I had skipped over that version before.

(2015-08-24, 05:17)afremont Wrote: Okay, thanks for that. I went back to 0819 and it was okay, no constant frame skipping on 720p. I worked my way forward and 0820 and 0821 are fine, 0822b skips frames constantly and loses audio sync. 0823 did the same thing, so it looks like something in 0822b broke for MMAL, 720p live TV and recordings.

Setup is Mythbuntu back end, HDHomerun for TV tuning, RPi2 front end
OMXPLayer unchecked
MMAL checked
Adjust refresh rate unchecked
Resample Audio

Thanks, that information will hopefully prove useful.

(2015-08-24, 05:17)afremont Wrote: Is there anything else that I can supply that might help?

Only the usual if you haven't provided them already - a debug log (wiki) and ideally a small sample file with which to reproduce the issue (apologies if you've provided these already - keeping track isn't easy!)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - illiac4 - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 01:13)popcornmix Wrote: @illiac4 try the latest build with your misplaced subs file.
@doveman2 test if your seeking hang is fixed.

TNX tested now and it is working.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - doveman2 - 2015-08-24

(2015-08-24, 01:13)popcornmix Wrote: @doveman2 test if your seeking hang is fixed.

Yep, seems fine now thanks Cool

(2015-08-21, 20:31)doveman2 Wrote: The problem with LiveTV when opening the EPG seems to have crept back in with #820. I hear a 1-2s audio cutout and when I return to fullscreen the audio plays but the picture is frozen and then I see buffering after a while but the picture remains frozen. MMAL only, deinterlace disabled.

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't a debug log, had a formatting error in advancedsettings.xml. In fact, it wasn't even a useful log as I took it from the latest zip in the logfiles folder, which I just noticed doesn't reflect anything done after booting!

I've uploaded a proper debug log now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89phEESMzlDSmtIZDZIQ2c/view?usp=sharing

The first time I went to the EPG with debug logging enabled (not the overlay), the audio cut out but the picture was OK when I went back to full-screen, so I tried going to the EPG again and then it triggered the bug. I reported with an earlier build that the problem didn't happen with debug logging enabled but it seems it just delays it.

This issue, which I didn't have with #809, first saw after updating to #817, was then fixed (I think) with #819 and then came back in #820, is now fixed again with #823 Smile

(2015-08-21, 13:58)doveman2 Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 21:47)Milhouse Wrote:
Code:
<FullscreenVideo>
    <remote>
      <select>AspectRatio</select>
    </remote>
  </FullscreenVideo>

would configure the Select (OK) button to toggle through the different aspect ratios.

Thanks, that will make life easier.

After testing I'm afraid I have to say it doesn't. I've set <yellow>AspectRatio</yellow> (in Global, nothing for yellow in FullscreenLiveTV) and it only seems to toggle the mode after every two clicks but more importantly, as it doesn't display the selected Aspect Ratio it's very hard to know whether you've got the right one or not and I have to open the OSD to check anyway. I guess if one only needed two modes (e.g. Stretch 16:9 and Original) and it could be made to just toggle between the two then it would be obvious when the right one was selected but with so many to cycle through it's just too confusing.

(2015-08-21, 13:58)doveman2 Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 21:47)Milhouse Wrote: Also, have you tried configuring a value for Video > Playback > "Display 4:3 videos as" - try something like "Stretch 16:9" and all 4:3 videos should automatically use the selected aspect ratio.

That seems to need to be on Normal. With both Normal or Stretch 16:9 the Zoom is 1:00 but for the latter it changes the Pixel Ratio to 0.92.

I get the feeling it actually needs to be on Original now (sets a Zoom of 1.09), as I've encountered several 4:3 programmes that have black space above and below the picture on Normal. Unfortunately Original isn't an option under "Display 4:3 videos as", so even if the auto-switching was working I'd still have to change it to Original manually.

(2015-08-20, 19:25)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 19:16)doveman2 Wrote: OMXPlayer disabled, as I can only use MMAL with the HiFiBerry DAC+ so would have no audio with it enabled.

It's still useful for understanding the problem. Enable omxplayer. Choose HDMI or analogue audio and report if you have the same problem. That will narrow it down.
Using the OSD to measure skips is a flawed operation. The presence of the OSD creates more work and so more skips. Is video smooth without overlays/osd?

OK, I tested with a programme on Ch5 SD with a ticker at the bottom, so any stutter was obvious. Checking with my TV's built-in tuner and there was no stutter.

I first tested with HDMI (audio and video) and OMX, then MMAL. With both the stutter was present.

Then I tested with composite video and analog audio, first with OMX, then MMAL. With both the stutter was present.

Then I tested with composite video and DAC+ audio, just with MMAL. The stutter was present. I timed it and it seemed to occur every 9-10s but occasionally it seemed to happen more frequently.

I shut down after each test, as I thought on rebooting it would gather the logs into a zip in the Logfiles folder but that doesn't seem to happen as the last one has a timestamp of 09:53 (really 10:53) and the one before that a timestamp of 08:28 and there was only a few minutes between my tests, so I don't have the logs for the first two sets of tests. I'm not sure how it's meant to work but with the ./kodi/temp/ folder not accessible via SMB it's a bit of a pain.

The last log I've uploaded here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89phEESWWVPazJYT1ZtNVk/view?usp=sharing

I'm recording the programme now and I'll report back whether it's the same when playing back the file.

Separate issue but is there a reason why it takes so long to open a folder via SMB? Opening \\192.168.1.86\ is pretty much instant but then opening one of the folders can take ages. My brother reports the same and he's on a different (rather old) build and has a different PC running Windows 7 (I'm on 8.1) and as far as I recall it's always been like this, so maybe there's nothing that can be done. I don't have any such issues using WInSCP.