Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-04-22

We will see. There is a change in pulseaudio 8 that disables audio devices, when TV shortly goes off /on - which happens when switching refreshrate. But that can be workarounded - see PA wiki. But wait a bit first.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - tocinillo - 2016-04-23

Hi!

I recently bought an Asrock Beebox N3000 (8GB DDR3 in dual channel for boot performance) and I'm testing it with 4K files. With EGL+Kodi 17 Alpha I see that all files 4K works like a charm EXCEPT one, "Demo LG Ultra-HD/4K/IPS - View the Feeling" used by Team for testing: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=101

All this other files is working ok:

- 4K-TCL-H265.mp4
- Beauty_3840x2160_120fps_420_8bit_HEVC_MP4 (surprisly is working perfect!)
- KAZU_(SUBTITLES)_4K23.98p_HEVC_10Mbits

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/FCfYLNKV

Thanks everyone for this amazing work Smile

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-04-23

It's not a mp4 that file ... it's a .ts container. Try renaming it to .ts - in any case the file is broken as is.

Quote:Input #0, mpegts, from 'LG_4K_View-the-Feeling.mp4':
Duration: 00:00:46.81, start: 4200.000000, bitrate: 26105 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: hevc (Main) (HEVC / 0x43564548), yuv420p(tv), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 29.97 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x1100](und): Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 176 kb/s

You can rename it to .ts and then use a recent ffmpeg to pack it into an mp4 container again:
Code:
ffmpeg -i LG-whatever.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output.mp4

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - crotale - 2016-04-23

I was using an Intel NUC5PPYH, BIOS 0044, along with the previous instructions for 15.10. It worked very well but for some reason I wanted to move to 16.04 LTS
In the processes I figured I could update the BIOS to 0053, which I did.

However, after the base install of Ubuntu Server 16.04 I only get limited screen output. With 15.10 I could see the grub screen, some garbage afterwards, some text (dmesg) and then the Kodi splash.
Now, there is almost nothing. The monitor i activated but there is no output.
I happened to connect a USB-DVD unit with a CD with issues, and some read error are printed on the monitor.
Pressing CTRL + ALT + F1 brings up a console though...

The system stays the same when installing the packages in step 0 in the first post as well. I figured the display drivers could solve it but they didn't.

Not that I really need the boot information from day to day. And now that we're waiting on the mysql package I can't take it further and see if the graphics will be fixed once Kodi is installed.

Has anyone else get any input regarding this?

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - crotale - 2016-04-23

(2016-04-23, 22:41)crotale Wrote: I was using an Intel NUC5PPYH, BIOS 0044, along with the previous instructions for 15.10. It worked very well but for some reason I wanted to move to 16.04 LTS
In the processes I figured I could update the BIOS to 0053, which I did.

However, after the base install of Ubuntu Server 16.04 I only get limited screen output. With 15.10 I could see the grub screen, some garbage afterwards, some text (dmesg) and then the Kodi splash.
Now, there is almost nothing. The monitor i activated but there is no output.
I happened to connect a USB-DVD unit with a CD with issues, and some read error are printed on the monitor.
Pressing CTRL + ALT + F1 brings up a console though...

The system stays the same when installing the packages in step 0 in the first post as well. I figured the display drivers could solve it but they didn't.

Not that I really need the boot information from day to day. And now that we're waiting on the mysql package I can't take it further and see if the graphics will be fixed once Kodi is installed.

Has anyone else get any input regarding this?
I'm digging into this a little more...
In the attempt above I installed Ubuntu Server with a USB stick, created with YUMI.
In reality a minimal network installation from what I understand.

Burning an old school CD and installing it works well and I get graphics during boot.

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Code:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial

I have no idea why it is different and why it didn't work with network/minimal install...

Also, regarding the libmysqlclient18 issue.
I downloaded this package:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/212189159/libmysqlclient18_5.6.25-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
and installed it manually. This way I was able to continue to install Kodi according to the instructions.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-04-24

Yeah - that's a workaround until the ppa is rebuild.

Edit: ppa should be fine again, without installing old packages

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - FreakinSyco - 2016-04-24

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the work they've done with these changes. I've upgraded to the LibreELEC v17 test builds on my Chromebox and finally appear to have full RGB output at all steps in the pipeline. My ramp tests are smooth and black white levels are spot on.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-04-24

The first step is limited range as this is the video range. This content is then scaled to full range while adding 8 bit dithering (if enabled). LibreELEC ships the kernel / xrandr with Video Range 16:235 by default, which means: Don't touch color values. So if you have "Use Limited Range" in kodi disabled and 8 bit dithering enabled you should get nice looking Full Range, yes.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - FreakinSyco - 2016-04-24

(2016-04-24, 18:15)fritsch Wrote: The first step is limited range as this is the video range. This content is then scaled to full range while adding 8 bit dithering (if enabled). LibreELEC ships the kernel / xrandr with Video Range 16:235 by default, which means: Don't touch color values. So if you have "Use Limited Range" in kodi disabled and 8 bit dithering enabled you should get nice looking Full Range, yes.

I've changed xandr to use full RGB and have use limited disabled. So it goes video content (limited range) expanded to full with added dithering then passed out as full to my TV which is set to RGB color space.

This is the optimal path correct? If I set anything to limited then my content would be expanded then contracted correct?

Optimal is: not converting anything.

In your case:

xrandr: Full (*) _or_ Video Range 16:235 (only available in LE and OE) not to be confused with Limited 16:235 xrandr setting
kodi: Use Limited

TV: Needs to be in limited Range

*: Some TVs switch to Full range and don't allow tunneliing of Limited Content in that full range as they check the info frames, for those TVs especially this "Video Range 16:235" was made.

Edit: In your Full + Diterhing path you get nice colors, too - but WTW and BTB won't be working anymore.

Disclaimer: All that above only makes sense with EGL kodi

(2016-04-24, 18:38)fritsch Wrote: Optimal is: not converting anything.

In your case:

xrandr: Full (*) _or_ Video Range 16:235 (only available in LE and OE) not to be confused with Limited 16:235 xrandr setting
kodi: Use Limited

TV: Needs to be in limited Range

*: Some TVs switch to Full range and don't allow tunneliing of Limited Content in that full range as they check the info frames, for those TVs especially this "Video Range 16:235" was made.

Edit: In your Full + Diterhing path you get nice colors, too - but WTW and BTB won't be working anymore.

Disclaimer: All that above only makes sense with EGL kodi

Alright I think I understand better. All video content is limited. So using the "limited" setting in the Kodi GUI leaves the content as it is. I then have xrandr set to full and my TV set to limited. Thats the optimal path? And your note about EGL: LibreELEC on Kodi v17 includes EGL correct?

Thanks as always.

Yes, if your TV eats that - then it's fine. An even more optimal path would be to se the "Video Range 16:235" mode as here the TV knows that it is getting limited range.

Take care that images / pictures which are full range are scaled down to Limited Range, which happens for the picture viewer and the menu.

Edit:

Automatic: Tries to detect what the output device uses. Most of the time falls back to Limited 16:235 which sucks for us

Full: Output everything as is, but send a FULL info frame which some TVs see and set themselves to full range, if this happens: also bad for us if we want to output Limited Range as is. If TV does ignore infoframes and

Limited 16:235: Intel asumes Full Range data input and scales down to Limited range no matter what you output. If you output limited range from kodi then this will end up in no whites and no blacks.

Video 16:235 pass-through: Implemented for OE / LE. Signal Limited, but don't scale / clamp color values -> pass-through mode.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-04-24

Sorry for not reading though all posts, but where can I find the OpenELEC builds with these changes included?

The links from the first posts are gone. I know there was a user that made his own builds. Can you please help me find those builds again?

/Söder

This is left: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269815 - no OE builds anymore from the looks.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-04-25

(2016-04-24, 21:48)fritsch Wrote: This is left: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=269815 - no OE builds anymore from the looks.

Are all these changes included in to these build you linked to. I'm mostly talking about the 4k on NUC with N3050 (I think that's the cpu/gpu) changes..

/Söder