Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-10-29

(2016-10-29, 18:46)fritsch Wrote: Then post your Debug Log ... as - once again - nobody sees what is happening.

From what I can imagine. You have that issue with 1080p24 that is upscaled to 4k. This is why I suggest: run kodi in 1080p mode and let it upswitch to the 2160p resolution.
No, I run Kodi in 1080p, and let it switch to 2160p@24 when the 4k movie starts.

The problem was as you wrote, the bilinear had been reset during the upgrade.

/Söder

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-10-29

Wondering. lanczos3 should be disabled automatically as nothing is being scaled ...

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-10-29

(2016-10-29, 21:39)fritsch Wrote: Wondering. lanczos3 should be disabled automatically as nothing is being scaled ...

I remember about this "lanczos3" from earlier when I got help in this thread (the special OE build you got). That was something I set for a SD movie. I don't remember doing this kind of stuff for a 4k movie. Anyway, it worked now.

About the advancedsettings-file, I got all this from the earlier file. Shall I remove it all you say?

Code:
<loglevel hide="false">0</loglevel>
  <video>
    <latency>
      <delay>50</delay>
      <refresh>
         <min>23</min>
         <max>24</max>
         <delay>175</delay>
      </refresh>
    </latency>
                <subsdelayrange>60</subsdelayrange>
                <playcountminimumpercent>90</playcountminimumpercent>
                <ignoresecondsatstart>60</ignoresecondsatstart>
                <ignorepercentatend>6</ignorepercentatend>
  </video>

and

Code:
<gui>
       <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
      <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
     </gui>

What does the <delay>175</delay> really do? Since, I do use passthrough for my audio (my receiver doesn't support multi channel if not DTS or DD5.1) and I've "used" the sync feature before (I know, it was wrong, and didn't do anything).. and I do have/had problem with some movies/episodes with the sound being delayed (and I manually needed to set it above for about 125-150ms). Is that what that setting is for?

Thanks for great help in this thread.

(I can bring a log tomorrow if I still got a problem..)

/Söder

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-10-30

If you want to continue using the Sync feature, set speaker layout to 2.0 and enable ac3 transcoding. That will give you both dolby digital and sync playback to display.

For all problems: No Debug Log no issue ... (told it four times now). Nobody can help you without seeing what is going wrong.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-10-30

(2016-10-30, 08:41)fritsch Wrote: If you want to continue using the Sync feature, set speaker layout to 2.0 and enable ac3 transcoding. That will give you both dolby digital and sync playback to display.

For all problems: No Debug Log no issue ... (told it four times now). Nobody can help you without seeing what is going wrong.
Still with passtrough?

Actually, I still don't really understand the sync option. I mean, don't we all want the sound and the video to be in sync?

/Söder

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-10-30

Yeah - depending on if audio / video don't match, one has to do something. Either skip frames (video) or adjust audio (resample). With passthrough video needs to adapted as audio runs "wallclock". Therefore we prefer pcm output as we can finegranely alter it without someone realizing. For 2.0 devices (pcm), we have this option to use ac3 transcode. When DTS is disabled and only AC3 and ac3 transcode is checked that will happen "magically". You see Dolby on your AVR and everything is fine.

If you decide for TrueHD / DTSHD and so on PT it will be obviously clear that Sync to Display won't work as we cannot change audio.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - soder - 2016-10-30

(2016-10-30, 12:16)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - depending on if audio / video don't match, one has to do something. Either skip frames (video) or adjust audio (resample). With passthrough video needs to adapted as audio runs "wallclock". Therefore we prefer pcm output as we can finegranely alter it without someone realizing. For 2.0 devices (pcm), we have this option to use ac3 transcode. When DTS is disabled and only AC3 and ac3 transcode is checked that will happen "magically". You see Dolby on your AVR and everything is fine.

If you decide for TrueHD / DTSHD and so on PT it will be obviously clear that Sync to Display won't work as we cannot change audio.

Let me see if I understand you. Skip frames on video is something we do not want. Adjust audio is better? But since passthrough is as it is, we have to drop frames if we want passthrough? Can I have frames dropped now? I know there was an option for this before?

PCM output is a digital stream, where Kodi can do something with the audio (resample) it first? It does support multi channel, but it will not be shown as DD or DTS (since it isn't compressed in those containers any longer?).

But for me, with an surely 10 year old receiver, I don't think I can have multi channel without DD or DTS. At least will I not get multi channel when not using passthrough. Also, with my PS4, if set to only PCM and not DTS, I do not get multi channels. That's we I don't think it support pcm in multi channel.

Also, I got my HTPC (and PS4) sending sound via HDMI to the TV, and then the TV send the signal optical to the receiver. The TV sound sync it's set to "bypass" (I guess something like passthrough).

What is the best way for me to set up my devices do you think?

If disabling passthrough, I haven't been able to get multi channels. If passthrough is enabled, and AC3 and DTS checked, I get multi channel (but need sync sometimes).

I also tried only checking the AC3 and the sub AC3-transcoding, and not checking DTS. When playing DTS, the receiver got the DD icon and played multi channel. Is this the way to go you mean?

Also, sorry for discussing those things in here, but I really hope you guys that understands those options can help me. If needed, I would be glad taking this over a PM discussion instead.

/Söder

Yes.

For your 2.0 pcm wise setup. Set channels to 2.0, disable DTS, enable AC3 and AC3 transcoding. Everything multi channel will be output as AC3 while the audio is (if needed) slightly altered without you being able to hear that.

If you don't want to sync to display, disable that and reenable DTS. DTS will be back, but "sometimes" (if needed, e.g. a/v sync getting worse) you hear a slight drop. That's it.

For completeness: For live TV streams AC3 passthrough was disabled in favor to not buffer a whole lot of stuff with those unstable streams. Might come back one day ... but not high priority at that moment. Stability > features.

What do you mean with 2.0 pcm?

EDIT: Only setting Number of channels to 2.0 enables the AC3 transcoding for some reason...

And, does this have anything to do with me usually have to set the audio stream 0.150 s ahead (to the right of the slider) to sync the lip movement with the talk I hear?

I mean, will I not need to do that any longer with the correct sync?

Since, I've always been on passthrough before, and checked the sync option, but still for some vidoes I've had to drag the slider to the right...

/Söder

No and no.

(2016-10-30, 19:10)fritsch Wrote: No and no.

Hmm?

No, it has nothing to do with the adjustment of the stream?
and no, it doesn't mean I doesn't need to do this anymore?

/Söder

Yes and yes.

Hmm, but, [insert confused emoji]...

What is that adjustment about then? I thought, that had to do with the video and sound being out sync because of some ms here and there..?

What kind of problem should I then have seen before, when I did use passthrough and was using DD and DTS and the "sync to display" didn't work you say..

EDIT: Is that what I shall use

<refresh>
<min>23</min>
<max>24</max>
<delay>125</delay>
</refresh>

for?

/Söder

Please also help me with the sync problem I got.

Is the delay of video with the advancedsettings below the same as setting "Audio offset to "Ahead by: 0.175s"?

Code:
<latency>
      <delay>50</delay>
      <refresh>
         <min>23</min>
         <max>24</max>
         <delay>175</delay>
      </refresh>
    </latency>

Because, I just tried that, but both time I got better sync if I set the Audio offset, Wathing GoT in 23.976 (<mode id="0x111" name="1920x1080" w="1920" h="1080" hz="23.97608" current="true" preferred="false"/>)

Shouldn't the delay in advancedsettings compensate and making the audio offset unnecessary?

/Söder

That settings means:

When playing 24p or 23.976 fps content at a 24 or 23.976 hz refreshrate delay the audio by 175 ms as some TVs do special processing, so one needs to compensate for that. This has nothing to do with "Sync Playback to Display" but is a constant offset matching the hardware (tv vs avr) sync differences.