Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - BigL-New - 2016-11-01

So maybe 4.9 will be good number? ;-) I'm fan of this idea - it will be then migrated to Ubuntu 16.04 by LTS Enablement Stack and no more custom kernels needed :-)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-11-01

I made a note in my calendar.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - TheNamesJohn - 2016-11-06

Maybe someone can explain/help me - I can't get back the beautiful WALL view of the Movies section - it used to be only a cover image with an animated blue slide-out when focused but now the cover is on an ugly dark background with a movie name at the bottom - hope someone knows what I'm talking about. Have no idea how I previously got it but after fiddling around with dozens of reinstalls from different repositories I've had no luck.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2016-11-09

I wrote to the intel-gfx mailing list concerning the patch. Basically I don't want it anymore, that has some reasons:

a) We tell Limited Range RGB
b) We also tell: don't change our values

But in fact the intel drivers use 10 bit or 12 bit communications depending on the handshake and the link they have. That means: what user sets is not necessarily that what will reach the display. Basically I want more capabilities usable for every one.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - smf007 - 2016-11-12

(2016-10-31, 08:46)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-10-31, 00:36)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-10-30, 23:41)soder Wrote: Do you know why there is a default delay for 23-24 fps playback in OpenELEC/LibreELEC?

/Söder

I don't, but maybe @fritsch does - this change pre-dates my involvement with OpenELEC, and unfortunately the commit message is completely useless (which is fairly typical) so it just appears to be one of those random commits that may have made sense at the time but quite possibly no longer does.

With improvements through VideoPlayer in Kodi 17 perhaps this value is no longer needed, although to be honest nobody else has complained.

We made a test with some 20 pariticipants and the result was on average 175 ms was what those guys needed. That's why it came into OpenELEC at this time. The commit you see there was not the original commit, but that PR was taken and pushed, the history of it was gone. The original commit was by me, but can't find it at the moment.

Just remember: This fixes a constant offset introduced by HW, it's not a workaround for kodi's sync code or something like that.
After reading this I payed more attention to it. I now am finding this delay for 24hz needs removing as well.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - yamcenutzer - 2016-11-14

running on ubuntu 16.04

Did I miss something about pvr-addons not working again? After an update on 12.11 my hts-pvr addon doesn't load anymore and the log says something about missing shared library libp8-platform.so.2.0. I thought that is more about cec. If so, is there a way to get rid of any CEC support selectively?
pvr-dvblink also doesn't load.

If this is new I'll have to wait to be able to post complete logs, since I had to revert to the working windows/dvblink/wmc dual boot option on the same HW for WAF's sake.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - wsnipex - 2016-11-14

packages needed a rebuild after libp8-platform bump

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - Ntor - 2016-11-15

May I ask a question, althoug I have kodi on linux mint 18, which is based on ubuntu 16.04 (non server)?

Video playback seems to run fine, although I get frame skips once a minute or so, and once every 10 to 20 minutes audio skips for 100ms or so.

But what is most obvious, is that navigating the menu is not as smooth as ie. on the pi3.

I run it on an intel J3160, which should fast enough for this "trivial" stuff.
My concern is that I might have the wrong driver installed. I installed the driver that 01.org provides. Should I get rid of it and try something else? Or is the cinnamon desktop maybe too resource heavy for that?

I would rather not use the pi3 and mount the server through the network to get the files for the pi3 Smile

Thx.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - teeedubb - 2016-11-17

The mint compositor is probqbly interfering with kodi, ditch mint (which is a horrible choice for a htpc) or run Kodi in its own season.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - famitsu1 - 2016-11-18

Hi,
if you have no Linux knowledge at all is there a method of installing these VAAPI builds of OpenELEC onto a USB stick, and from there installing them to an SSD? I swear that the front page used to have such a guide but it seems to have gone since I was last here. Any info greatly appreciated.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - Milhouse - 2016-11-18

(2016-11-18, 02:24)famitsu1 Wrote: Hi,
if you have no Linux knowledge at all is there a method of installing these VAAPI builds of OpenELEC onto a USB stick, and from there installing them to an SSD? I swear that the front page used to have such a guide but it seems to have gone since I was last here. Any info greatly appreciated.

Install the latest LibreELEC 8 Alpha to a USB stick using the USB SD Creator application (and from there install LibreELEC to your SSD). LibreELEC 8 Alpha includes Kodi 17 Beta5 with all the enhancements discussed in this thread.

If you really want an updated version of OpenELEC you'll need to build it yourself, or wait (a long time) for an official release.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - geekmiki - 2016-11-22

Hi,

I'm using LibreElec v7.90.008 ALPHA with a Chromebox CN60 and a Samsung 65KS8000.
After reading (and getting confused) by color range settings and some trial and error, I think I have achieved the Limited->Full->Limited settings as described in the wiki.

I did a test with the AVSHD709 Black Clipping test and managed to see black levels below 16 by raising the brightness.

I was wondering if Limited->Full->Limited is the only combination where black levels below 16 are shown in this test pattern?

After the various adjustments and especially after activating limited color range in Kodi, my colors are a bit dull. Blacks are black and I can't say colors are washed out, they're just a bit more dull. If I don't activate limited color range in Kodi, colors are more vivid but I get crushed blacks.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - gurabli - 2016-11-23

Not fully related, but still: what does exactly Post-processing do in the Video settings and should we or should not enable it? How does it affect pq, what are the pro and cons? Of course, when using VAAPI.

EDIT: I did find some information that post-processing enables a blur filter that comes handy on low quality SD content. The question is, is it still functional if VAAPI is used or only in software mode? Anyway, I don't really watch LQ SD content, so it is not important to me.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Compact

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - gurabli - 2016-11-24

(2016-04-24, 18:38)fritsch Wrote: Optimal is: not converting anything.

In your case:

xrandr: Full (*) _or_ Video Range 16:235 (only available in LE and OE) not to be confused with Limited 16:235 xrandr setting
kodi: Use Limited

TV: Needs to be in limited Range

*: Some TVs switch to Full range and don't allow tunneliing of Limited Content in that full range as they check the info frames, for those TVs especially this "Video Range 16:235" was made.

Edit: In your Full + Diterhing path you get nice colors, too - but WTW and BTB won't be working anymore.

Disclaimer: All that above only makes sense with EGL kodi

Just to check something, as I'm configuring an N3150 for my friend. Based on your explanation the best is to have not converting anything. Following the guide, Kodi is set to broadcast Full RGB (not using your custom passthrough kernel). So it is now:

Option 1)

Broadcast Full RGB -> Set Limited in Kodi -> TV set to limited => Picture looks nice, I'm not familiar with this screen and had no time for test patterns, but to me it looks fine (we just checked the built in test pattern in Kodi, and flashing is seen, blacks look correct, not washed out).

or

Option 2)

Broadcast Full RGB -> Kodi NOT set to limited, Dithering enabled at value 8 -> TV set to full RGB => Picture looks quite the same, no crushed blacks, in a short time I could not see much difference compared to Option 1.

Based on your post the Option 1 should be the best choice, correct? I think TV supports it fine.

Now if TV support Option 1 fine, is there any advantages going with you custom kernel 16:235 pass-through mode -> Kodi set to Limited, TV set to Limited?

Many thanks!

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - ZwartePiet - 2016-11-25

To add to the above, how does the GUI get composited? I thought Kodi converts the video to full range RGB to composite the GUI. Can Kodi render the GUI in limited range YCbCr? Or does Kodi render the GUI separately in full range and convert it to limited range before compositing?

If the GUI does get composited in full range RGB, wouldn't Gurabli's Option 2 be the best? Does converting 8-bit limited range YCbCr to full range RGB (8 or 10-bit) really introduce banding? Are rounding errors the issue, and if so wouldn't it be better to do the math in higher bit-depths rather than add dithering (i.e. noise)? Lastly, why is BTB/WTW worth saving?