Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - fritsch - 2015-09-10

Lol :-) Thanks for the feedback.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - Roby77 - 2015-09-10

Thank you i will try this evening

(semi ot... i hope that jarvis bug with remote is solved)

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - Mangoes - 2015-09-10

(2015-09-10, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: Some new images:

http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/

Changelog:
- ffmpeg 2.8 stable
- libva-driver-intel 1.6.1
- libva 1.6.1
- fernetmenta's current master as of this morning.

There are no changes concerning the 4096 24p samples, but investigation is still running. If the error is also on windows, this might very well be an ffmpeg issue. Though the windows version only has ffmpeg 2.7.2 (I just updated kodi's upstream ffmpeg version), so please retry with next nightly build.

Source: https://github.com/fritsch/OpenELEC.tv/commits/jarvis-egl (now buildable, my provider gave me \infty traffic)

It doesn't work on Intel Haswell NUC i3.

HEVC 2160p and 480p: It only uses decoder ff-hevc (ff-hevc-vaapi is never used), so there's no difference compered to openelec 15 beta (HEVC 480p is fine, 2160p is not watchable with lots of dropped and skipped frames).

Furthermore, this build has lots of problems with AVC (which works 100% fine with openelec 15 beta):

Bluray remux (created with Makemkv): lots of freezing, dropped and skipped frames

Smaller AVC files (i.ex: 4gb files encoded with x264) are fine.

Bluray remux with MVC 3D (created with Makemkv): black screen, openelec seems to crash with a black screen as the only way to get back to the menu from the black screen is to power off and reboot.

(ff-h264-vaapi is always used).

Looking forward to the next build. Smile

Many thanks.

Quote:HEVC 2160p and 480p: It only uses decoder ff-hevc (ff-hevc-vaapi is never used), so there's no difference compered to openelec 15 beta (HEVC 480p is fine, 2160p in not watchable with lots of dropped and skipped frames).

No (!) hevc support for HSW on linux. That was answered now ~ 20 times and is written on the first page.

Ah and: No log no issue - see the first post.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - Mangoes - 2015-09-10

(2015-09-10, 15:05)fritsch Wrote: No (!) hevc support for HSW on linux. That was answered now ~ 20 times and is written on the first page.

So to summarize (did I get this right?):

VP9 is in vaapi for Haswell, but there's no support in ffmpeg vaapi.
HEVC is not currently planned in vaapi for Haswell.

As I understand it works on windows (?), so haswell users should move to kodi + windows ?

Thanks.

You won't be able to use HEVC > 1080p on windows as well ... so basically you are doomed without real hw support ;-)

(2015-09-09, 23:22)rbej Wrote: I tested Windows version of Kodi 16 (dxva2). Almost identical results like your Vaapi OpenElec 06/09 version.

Sintel and Tears 4096 24p visual drops in this same places (MPC-HC + Lav Filters playing this file without visual drops.)

30fps,50fps,60fps playing ok, but your vappi version playing more smooth than Windows version.

Vaapi > Dxva2

You need to test with ffmpeg 2.8, which I pushed some hours ago ... so you did test with 2.7.x ... nightly will be available tomorrow.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - neox387 - 2015-09-10

(2015-09-10, 15:04)Mangoes Wrote: It doesn't work on Intel Haswell NUC i3.

Furthermore, this build has lots of problems with AVC (which works 100% fine with openelec 15 beta):

Bluray remux (created with Makemkv): lots of freezing, dropped and skipped frames

Tested latest build on my haswell i3 nuc, AVC remux works fine for me.

(2015-09-10, 13:59)Roby77 Wrote: Thank you i will try this evening

I added file Lircmap.xml to /storage/.kodi/userdata
with:
<lircmap>
<remote device="devinput">
<power>KEY_SLEEP</power>
</remote>
</lircmap>

to fix my problem where the nuc didn't poweroff. Don't know why maybe in previous builds this command was KEY_POWER instead of sleep.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - trsqr - 2015-09-10

(2015-09-10, 15:32)Mangoes Wrote: So to summarize (did I get this right?):

VP9 is in vaapi for Haswell, but there's no support in ffmpeg vaapi.
HEVC is not currently planned in vaapi for Haswell.

VP9 and HEVC decoding on Haswell could be implemented as hybrid decoding where the CPU and GPU work together. This can only happen if Intel makes it possible with their Linux drivers. VP9 seems to be happening, but is not there yet (I guess Google is pushing Intel to implement VP9). And yes, ffmpeg and Kodi need VP9 VAAPI patches as well.

I'd guess HEVC hybrid decoding is unlikely to happen on Haswell. What's the incentive for Intel to implement this? Better for them if you go and buy a new Intel CPU that can do HEVC HW decoding...

Even if it would be happening, it's unclear to me, what level of performance would be available using this hybrid decoding. How much better is hybrid decoding vs. pure CPU-based decoding?

Quote:I'd guess HEVC hybrid decoding is unlikely to happen on Haswell.

I asked Haihao about it (intel's driver maintainer) and he said: No (without further explanation).

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - gurabli - 2015-09-10

I always feel angry when the consumer society instead of maxing out the hw they sell with great driver support always force people to buy new stuff on less then yearly basis. I guess we can be lucky that Intel did provide some support as they did now.

Mainly in this world it's not about the OSS devs, cause without them - we would not even have this EGL / Mesa stuff. That was done by Chad in his freetime ... All that intel (the official company) currently does is _for_ google and yeah, now you know why VP9 was on the list .... wanted / needed in chromeos.

Edit: But hey, we cannot complain at all, when we compare this work with other platforms. I am currently quite happy with intel state on linux.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - onizuka - 2015-09-10

VP9 vs HEVC.....could we see a mass migration of non commercial encoding supporting VP9 as the preferred codec for this very reason?

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - gurabli - 2015-09-10

I agree fritsch, I'm also very happy what we have now (thanks to you guys), and it is indeed great. We are lucky we have this Intel platform.

RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - Hufvudet - 2015-09-10

(2015-09-10, 16:47)neox387 Wrote:
(2015-09-10, 15:04)Mangoes Wrote: It doesn't work on Intel Haswell NUC i3.

Tested latest build on my haswell i3 nuc, AVC remux works fine for me.

(2015-09-10, 13:59)Roby77 Wrote: Thank you i will try this evening

I added file Lircmap.xml to /storage/.kodi/userdata
with:
<lircmap>
<remote device="devinput">
<power>KEY_SLEEP</power>
</remote>
</lircmap>

to fix my problem where the nuc didn't poweroff. Don't know why maybe in previous builds this command was KEY_POWER instead of sleep.

Remuxed AVC no problem for me either on i3 haswell nuc.