Kodi Community Forum
Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 (/showthread.php?tid=238524)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-22

(2015-12-22, 20:09)Memphiz Wrote: first post updated

Thanks thanks thanks and Merry Christmas to you too

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-22

I will not ask for support for this build as you clearly stated but I just installed it and tried to play some video from my library via smb and I get a choppy video playback with squares here and there, in other words the quality of the video is bad.
Same files played with MrMC they give much better result. The playback in MrMC is as it should be, as I know it also from other platforms.

So it seems there is some difference in the playback between this Kodi version and MrMC.

I tried to see I needed to enable some H/W acceleration but I do not think this is accessible, even in the expert mode.

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Memphiz - 2015-12-23

we only do sw decode on tvos (mrmc aswell) - i think i didn't port all spots of samba changes from mrmc yet - i only tried an iso a couple of days ago and some other movies - but not over samba but nfs (which only works when running from the debugger) - beside that livetv was pretty stable

i am also a bit unsure how mrmc influences kodi because on tvos we never quit but always run in the background. When switching between mrmc and kodi it could be a good idea to reboot the apple tv from the settings menu.

Beside that i was not willing to support installation questions primary - posting findings/issues/bugs beside the ones i mentioned is a good thing

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Platypus2 - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 00:12)Memphiz Wrote: i am also a bit unsure how mrmc influences kodi because on tvos we never quit but always run in the background.

Would 'killing' Kodi via the app switcher (like iOS) have the same effect as rebooting?

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - MrMC - 2015-12-23

Having both should not cause any issues, MrMC will idle down to zero CPU when pushed into the background. At one time, I had three installs Smile

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Platypus2 - 2015-12-23

Thank you VERY much Memphiz!

I appreciate this is 'pre-pre-pre-alpha', so just adding to the feedback below;

(2015-12-22, 23:28)sasagr Wrote: I get a choppy video playback with squares here and there, in other words the quality of the video is bad.

Similar results for me. My playback isn't choppy though. Hard to describe it for me, maybe 'pixelated' fits. Its the kind of thing I associate with VLC, weird colour and missing parts of the picture until the frame changes - though this is constant unlike when it happens with VLC.

Here is a screenshot that might explain it better (notice the blobs of colour over the text);

Memphiz - is there anything we can do to help? Can we even take logs off the Apple TV?

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - neg0shEAte - 2015-12-23

tnks Memphiz kodi runnin' on my ATV4 merry xmas bruh!!!!

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - neg0shEAte - 2015-12-23

in home window options when check show weather info and hide weather on main menu reset when i close kodi

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - keith - 2015-12-23

Memphiz, amazing work!!

I sideloaded the .deb you made no prob, and used the new ios app signer:
https://github.com/DanTheMan827/ios-app-signer/issues/5

And tested out YouTube and the HDHomeRun addon and both look to be working well.

I tried out OpenWeatherMap and it wasn't perfect:

The map did eventually show up, so maybe it is working right..?

I did notice some weird color shading/tearing, different than what's been reported. I will go through and do more extensive testings, but wanted to put my initial thoughts out there!

Thanks so much Memphiz and Happy Holidays!

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - DanTheMan827 - 2015-12-23

I just want to let everyone know, my iOS App Signer has been updated to sign the additional files needed for the python add ons

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 02:03)Platypus2 Wrote: Thank you VERY much Memphiz!

(2015-12-22, 23:28)sasagr Wrote: I get a choppy video playback with squares here and there, in other words the quality of the video is bad.

Similar results for me. My playback isn't choppy though. Hard to describe it for me, maybe 'pixelated' fits. Its the kind of thing I associate with VLC, weird colour and missing parts of the picture until the frame changes - though this is constant unlike when it happens with VLC.

Here is a screenshot that might explain it better (notice the blobs of colour over the text);

Memphiz - is there anything we can do to help? Can we even take logs off the Apple TV?

I did some more tests and tried also out of curiosity an add for streaming from cloud sources and I get the same kind of picture of the one posted by @Platypus2. Actually the same was also with smb so I would say it is not related to smb port.

I m also eager to give any kind of support as necessary.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - freddy12 - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 08:16)sasagr Wrote:
(2015-12-23, 02:03)Platypus2 Wrote: Thank you VERY much Memphiz!

I did some more tests and tried also out of curiosity an add for streaming from cloud sources and I get the same kind of picture of the one posted by @Platypus2. Actually the same was also with smb so I would say it is not related to smb port.

I m also eager to give any kind of support as necessary.

also got the same problem with any content except for a full iso blu ray rip of fast and furious which played perfect, it says its based on alpha 17 which had alot of videoplayer changes so maybe something to do with that? icon looks great on apple tv

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

Tried a restart of the ATV4 and tried to play an SD quality movie, same result, pixelated effect, with squares of shady colours. My previous way of saying "choppy" was not really correct (sorry).
Also tried to play an mp4 sd quality from local network (smb), encoded in apple tv format from a dvd, and got the same results.
But I repeat that same files played with MrMC are doing fine.

Will try to reinstall using the updated iOS App Signer, though I do not think it should make the difference.

Another thing, if I exit Kodi from the app power button it get stuck on black screen and I m forced to go out from the Menu or Home button. I noticed that MrMC removed the power button, I assume for the same reason.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

Here an example from my side:

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Memphiz - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 01:25)MrMC Wrote: Having both should not cause any issues, MrMC will idle down to zero CPU when pushed into the background. At one time, I had three installs Smile

MrMC hoggs the http port for example. At least if kodi and MrMC are setup to use the same port. Start MrMC - background it, Start Kodi and get the error message that http server couldn't start. Well that was what i meant with influencing Wink

The black screen on quit is a known issue and i have a fix for it in the pocket already (we can do a real exit - MrMC is not allowed to due to app store restrictions).

Beside that the video playback of MrMC can't be compared to the Kodi build for TVOS because MrMC is based in isengard or jarvis which has the old dvdplayer. My build is based on latest master with the new reworked VideoPlayer and i guess it has something to do with it.

@neg0shEAte skin settings not sticking is a known issue - i just need to backport the fix from MrMC to get it right.

@Platypus2 there is an appswitcher which can kill apps in TVOS? Ehrm am i dump or why didn't i spot this yet?

Well back to the christmas preparations for me ...