Kodi Community Forum
Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 (/showthread.php?tid=238524)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Platypus2 - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 13:11)Memphiz Wrote: @Platypus2 there is an appswitcher which can kill apps in TVOS? Ehrm am i dump or why didn't i spot this yet?

If you double tap the home button on the remote, you go to an app switcher like iOS (it takes a while to load). Just like iOS, when the app is in the center, if you swipe up on the app it removes it.

Whether that is the same as iOS in that it kills the app properly I'm not sure Tongue - would seem weird not to though.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Memphiz - 2015-12-23

A good to know.

@all i can see the video playback corruption - but during my tests it only happens for h264 content. Mpeg4 and Mpeg2 and divx staff works fine here. It happens the same way on ios when disabling VTB decoder - so it is a generic issue - not tvos related ...

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

For the appswitcher just double click the Siri remote home button

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 13:23)Memphiz Wrote: A good to know.

@all i can see the video playback corruption - but during my tests it only happens for h264 content. Mpeg4 and Mpeg2 and divx staff works fine here.

Are u planning to find a fix for the new player or going back to old one like mrmc is using and work then on new one together?

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Martijn - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 13:27)sasagr Wrote:

@all i can see the video playback corruption - but during my tests it only happens for h264 content. Mpeg4 and Mpeg2 and divx staff works fine here.

Are u planning to find a fix for the new player or going back to old one like mrmc is using and work then on new one together?

Why don't you guys just wait until a lot more time is spend on it before jumping in unless you can help fix it. There is no going back to the old player.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

@all i can see the video playback corruption - but during my tests it only happens for h264 content. Mpeg4 and Mpeg2 and divx staff works fine here. It happens the same way on ios when disabling VTB decoder - so it is a generic issue - not tvos related ...

Any work around apart from not using h264 content, that I believe are the most popular in my library?

I read from other post of yours, that disabling the VTB decoder was the only workaround on iOS, but as far as I understood (I maybe be wrong) this build, like mrmc, does not use H/W acceleration and the VTB concerns H/W stuff.

Yes you are right - no workaround atm.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Platypus2 - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 14:00)sasagr Wrote: I read from other post of yours, that disabling the VTB decoder was the only workaround on iOS, but as far as I understood (I maybe be wrong) this build, like mrmc, does not use H/W acceleration and the VTB concerns H/W stuff.

No wrong way around. Disabling VTB decoder on iOS causes the same issue.

Currently there is no VTB framework on tvOS. That is a MASSIVE step backwards. I wasn't aware Apple had done that - ideally we need to make more people aware of this.

I take it there is currently no hardware acceleration available at all, or is it just a case of it being a private framework (again)? Would a jailbreak at this point help or since we can sideload there isn't a need for a jailbreak? IIRC iOS didn't have H/W acceleration when you 'sideloaded' it before VTB became public.

Edit: found old answers from you guys about it here Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=246040

vtb is private (even more it is flagged PROHIBITED in the headers) and doesn't bring any performance gain on tvos - this suggests that vtb internally also only does sw decoding on tvos. The A8 has power enought for 1080p decoding though.

There was a miss understanding - the issue only happens on 64bit arm builds when doing sw decode. It doesn't happen when using VTB decoder on ios 64bit. That workaround is not available for tvos. (as said - no vtb implemented here). But there is alot more to dig into for tvos - the player issue is only one of it (and of course at somepoint this will be solved ...).

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - MrMC - 2015-12-23

Hehe, MrMC does not hog the http port, the 1st one that gets it, get it and there is nothing in code to pick another Smile

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - sasagr - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 15:34)Memphiz Wrote: vtb is private (even more it is flagged PROHIBITED in the headers) and doesn't bring any performance gain on tvos - this suggests that vtb internally also only does sw decoding on tvos. The A8 has power enought for 1080p decoding though.

There was a miss understanding - the issue only happens on 64bit arm builds when doing sw decode. It doesn't happen when using VTB decoder on ios 64bit. That workaround is not available for tvos. (as said - no vtb implemented here). But there is alot more to dig into for tvos - the player issue is only one of it (and of course at somepoint this will be solved ...).

I hope but I m also sure that the Team Kodi will find the ways to fix all of them as always has been done.
The first Apple TVs were the houses of XBMC/Kodi and I hope it will still be for the new ones too.

But I cannot hide from myself that I was hoping in a start from more stable build at least on video playback, based on the what MrMC did as first step for this device. Then development as required and as normal to be....

But I m nobody here and I amy not know the full plan behind, so I will "shut-up" and offer my availability in case you need any tester.

Thanks for your great job and wish you Merry Xmas Smile

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - keith - 2015-12-23

The build is very stable.

As Memphiz said, this is an issue with the new videoplayer that needs to be worked out. MrMC is not using this videoplayer.

Please, don't use these early early early builds if you don't want to get your hands dirty and expect things to work as good as other things that may appear to be the same, but aren't.

Testing needs to occur for the new videoplayer stuff and myself am thankful that not only is someone working on tvos, but also is doing it in the open so others can help.

The 'full plan' is iterate until everything works good enough to merge into mainline and then test more to make sure everything else works I assume, like any other new platform Kodi has ever supported.

Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Memphiz - 2015-12-23

Might even be something in the ffmpeg Version mainline uses related to arm64

Someone would need to Downgrade ffmpeg to the Version mrmc uses and Test

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - simonk83 - 2015-12-23

(2015-12-23, 13:28)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-12-23, 13:27)sasagr Wrote:

Why don't you guys just wait until a lot more time is spend on it before jumping in unless you can help fix it. There is no going back to the old player.

Oh oh, grumpypants is here, stop having fun everyone!

confirmed - it is an ffmpeg issue. Might be this one:

https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/commit/1dddd5371a6a60525e9c9c4f5e2534456f84b9d6

Latest ffmpeg in mainline has this already fixed ... just a stupid coincidence that i rebased to mainline when we used that ffmpeg version... Not sure if i have enough time to do a rebase and full rebuild before bedtime ...