Kodi Community Forum
Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 (/showthread.php?tid=238524)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - wrxtasy - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 06:08)MrMC Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 05:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 05:27)MrMC Wrote: 80 percent vs 20 percent. less than 20 percent care or even understand what 24p means. They just want to watch a video or tv show.
That may be the case with all you Septics, that live on the other side of the Big Blue Planet we call Earth that know no better, but there are a bunch of more cultured 24p movie fans that hate 3:2 pulldown that live elsewhere. Wink Wink

HAHAHAHAH. Serves you right for standardizing on 50 hertz Smile

Personally I blame some bloke called Davilla ! Wink
See I've been spoilt for years and years now with 24p playback on Crystalbuntu/XBMC/Kodi on the old ATV1 thanks to this fella having a hand in getting XBMC on to ATV1 in the first place.

It now hurts my Brain to watch video any other way !

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - matthijst - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 05:28)MrMC Wrote: not yet.
Do you have a rough ETA? Blush

Thanks for all the great work by the way.
Can't wait to get MrMC on the ATV4.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - chefente - 2015-11-06

why not just develope a full version of kodi with all it´s features for apple tv and install it via Xcode? for me this would be better than any app in the store

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - zidewinder - 2015-11-06

I run Plex now on ATV4 and its not so fun becouse Plex Media Server transcodes every
Movie with subtitle. So my server PC CPU is on 100% when im looking on videos with subtitles.

So. I hope not MrMc will have this "killing CPU feature"

I miss my ATV2 with Kodi on. Sad

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - ptaylor - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-06, 21:40)chefente Wrote: why not just develope a full version of kodi with all it´s features for apple tv and install it via Xcode? for me this would be better than any app in the store

Right now, I'm pretty sure that Kodi is mostly used by technically savvy people (or friends of them). I know that on the FireTV, for example, you have to side load it (it was available for a while via the Amazon store, but then they pulled it).

But, if a "lite" version of Kodi (like MrMC appears to be shooting for) is available to download with a few clicks via the remote, theres a great chance to increase the Kodi user base. Lots of people will probably learn about Kodi after trying MrMC and finding out that it was built off of Kodi. It may lead to more developers helping out with Kodi, more donations, etc.

And really, the features that will come with MrMC make up the majority of the features of Kodi. The ability to play just about any video/audio format you are likely to find, play video from a mapped drive (or via DLNA), use it as a front-end to a home PVR, not to mention all the music features, and probably lots of things that I'm missing. These features are probably enough for the majority of people.

Yes, with MrMC, you will miss out on add-ons and skins. Being able to completely control the user interface is cool, but it's not a major selling point to most people. Add-ons are probably seen as promoting piracy. For that, you can thank they guys who are selling the "Free Cable TV!!!!! Free Movies!!!" boxes on eBay that are pre-installed with Kodi and a bunch of questionable add-ons.

But here's the thing. Once MrMC is released and he has posted the source code, I fully expect work will be started to back-port his changes to Kodi, except preserving the features MrMC has removed. So, you'll most likely eventually get the full version of Kodi on AppleTV, going the compile route.

I think this is the right direction to go for everyone. The "everyday" user will get to use most of Kodi, the community will almost certainly grow at least a little, and everyone who wants to go the Xcode route will get their fully featured Kodi. Everybody wins. It just takes patience.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - MrMC - 2015-11-07

nice write up @ptaylor, that hits the nail right on head.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Furby8704 - 2015-11-07

curious to see how mysql works from gui
keep up the great work!

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - User 69769 - 2015-11-07

Hello,

Is the app MrMc will be able to play iso file (DVD structure in it) ?

Thanks

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - noggin - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-06, 04:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-05, 20:10)tomvs123 Wrote: 24p is likely possible, but will require an OS update from Apple (submit your feedback to them), or a jailbreak and a third-party hack. Even without 24p, it looks like the ATV4 is turning out to be the best overall media streamer available (in the $100-$200 price range).
I would not count on 24p support at all and would be very very surprised if Apple released Firmware to support 24p. You don't buy a device on features that "may happen sometime in the future". Thats just hot air and speculation.

Though don't forget that Apple originally released the Apple TV 2 with Auto HDMI output only, which forced 60Hz output for most users, and you couldn't change to 50Hz if you were playing 50Hz media.

When enough people complained about the lack of 50Hz support, they added a manual frame rate / resolution option that allowed 720/50p and 1080/50i or p output. (This was to allow people with Elgato Eye TVs or who shot home movies etc. to watch 25/50Hz recordings at 50Hz ISTR)

I've already logged a "Why can't I watch Netflix in 24p?" request on their feedback page...

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - odok - 2015-11-07

So while we wait for more news, any conjecture on the following features?

- connecting to shares / streaming direct from sftp/ssh
- artwork / metadata scraping
- open subtitles

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - smitopher - 2015-11-07

So... will MrMC be "downstream" and Kodi be "upstream"? (think Ubuntu is downstream of Debian) http://serverfault.com/questions/195952/what-does-upstream-and-downstream-mean
or more unfortunately a "fork" (think Plex is a fork of Kodi/XBMC).

If MrMC is committed to being a "Downstream" of Kodi and the work done in the project can be incororated upstream, then we are in a very happy open source place.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - Memphiz - 2015-11-07

Its a fork - as with any fork you can backport changes - seeing how much MrMC and Kodi have diverged in the current state there is a certain difficulty in backporting stuff. The AppleTV4 port will bring a lot of changes i guess and we (more i as nobody else will volunteer) will see how we can integrate it into Kodi once the code is public. I fear that the most problematic dependency will be python (making it compatible with 64bit arm and bitcode which is needed for AppleTV4) which is not covered by MrMC ...

And the upstream / downstream thingy also applies to forks. The project where the fork forked from is always the upstream in case the fork developers want to give changes back.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - smitopher - 2015-11-07

(2015-11-07, 22:54)Memphiz Wrote: Its a fork - as with any fork you can backport changes - seeing how much MrMC and Kodi have diverged in the current state there is a certain difficulty in backporting stuff. The AppleTV4 port will bring a lot of changes i guess and we (more i as nobody else will volunteer) will see how we can integrate it into Kodi once the code is public. I fear that the most problematic dependency will be python (making it compatible with 64bit arm and bitcode which is needed for AppleTV4) which is not covered by MrMC ...

And the upstream / downstream thingy also applies to forks. The project where the fork forked from is always the upstream in case the fork developers want to give changes back.
MrMC is rather gleeful in excising "cruft" and unburdened with supporting legacy. I am that way in my projects when possible.

Might the replacement of python with JavaScript be useful in Kodi? JS is all au courant these days.

Implementing a HTML5/CSS ui is... a "fun" thing for a legacy application. Cool

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - simonk83 - 2015-11-08

Ok, so this is just a nice to have idea and it's not me who has to do the work so feel free to tell me to get stuffed, however...

As we may not be able to have skins (unclear yet as it sounds like JS may be an allowed replacement for Python addons?), do you think it'd be possible to design a nicer skin (nicer than Confluence, which won't be hard Big Grin) as the default? Confluence has been around as the default for years, and it sure does show. I'm just thinking if it turns out we won't be able to get skins on there, it makes sense to design a fresh one that's actually a bit fancy and nice (though I understand that "nice" will differ person to person). Alternatively, if we can't download addons in the future due to AppStore rules, could you build in a few options so they're already a part of core MrMC? That way people can still have a few skin choices without needing to download an addon? Could maybe include the top 3 or 5 skins based on popularity in the forums? I know this'll increase the size a bit and I'm not sure how close to the 200MB limit you'll be skirting, but just food for thought.

RE: Kodi on the new AppleTV4 - daps83 - 2015-11-08

(2015-11-03, 03:27)MrMC Wrote:
(2015-11-03, 02:28)cbmuir Wrote: This is really cool. I was just lamenting that Plex announced their port and that there would likely not be an easy port of Kodi.

I wonder what the plans are for keeping current with the state of Kodi development, moving forward? I imagine that wholesale changes like dumping Python means that there was a fair amount of divergence.

Plex devs are just posers Smile

MrMC will retain database compatibility with kodi. So users can pick and choose what they want, Kodi or MrMC or both. I expect a fair amount of interchange between the two codebases.

Divergence is good, there is a lot of cruft in the current Kodi code base that just has to go in order to move forward into the future.

I saw in a recent plex blog post they are moving completely away from the kodi base. They even thanked Kodi in the blog post. I will post the link for any interested. It seems it is because of the introduction of Plex Media Player.

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/10/20/introducing-the-plex-media-player/