Kodi Community Forum
Jukebox mode / Party mode (library playlist) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Jukebox mode / Party mode (library playlist) (/showthread.php?tid=2396)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- macollin - 2006-09-04

Thanks for the response. I'll have to play around with the file manager - this sounds like a promising option that I had not thought of. As for coding a patch...I wish I had the know-how, but unfortuantely my coding skills are pretty limited, so I really wouldn't know where to start (I certainly wouldn't mind the challenge though, so if you have suggestions as to where to start, I'll take 'em).

Thanks again.

- jmarshall - 2006-09-04

Partymode.xml is just an example of a smartplaylist. Thus, we basically just need a GUI designed for construction of a smartplaylist.

Smartplaylists basically consist of a set of rules that are either ANDed or ORed together, and may be limited in length, and sorted by some criterion.

The GUI should therefore have:

1. Ability to configure a single rule. Such rules are "Artist like U2" or "Genre like Pop".

2. Ability to have a list of rules and add/subtract rules, and specify how the rules should be combined (either ANDed or ORed).

3. Ability to alter the limiting and sorting - these can probably be spin controls.

4. A name for the smartplaylist.

I suggest something like the "Add Source" dialog. A list control would hold the rules, clicking a rule would bring up a separate rule configuration dialog. Under the list would be the other configurable items (limits, sorting, name) and to the right of the list would be Add, Remove and Edit.

The first step is getting a design that will incorporate all we need to do.

Once the design is done, the coding isn't too much of a hassle Wink

In addition to the above, we'd just need a good design idea for how to organise the choosing of the smartplaylist. One idea would be a simple selector on screen which showed the "source" for the party mode. As to where this should be, and what it should consist of (and how navigation is performed), I'll leave that up to you.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- tinBuzz - 2006-09-06

Another idea for an aproach, could be to create a context sensitive party mode.

The idea is to shuffle all music that meets the criteria selected in Library view. If, for example, U2 is selected under Artist and Party mode is activated, all music with U2 is shuffled and played. If, for example, Rock is selected under Genre and Party mode is activated, all rock music is shuffled and played.

One of the big advantages of this solution is that it does not require a lot of GUI programming.

/tinBuzz

- jmarshall - 2006-09-06

Ofcourse, that can be easily done (Party mode from this source). The key is we want the above functionality for smart playlists anyway - partymode is a bonus.

- kraqh3d - 2006-09-06

That was one of my original ideas when Party Mode was first added. The downside is that it doesnt have much flexibility. It's basically nothing more than using play or queue on a folder in the Library. So, instead of implementing a temporary solution, the backend code to support a completely flexible system was put in place based off of Smart Playlists. It just needs to be GUI'ified now.

- Solo0815 - 2006-09-07

How about having a few *.xml-files in a folder called "Partymode". The xmls should have the same content like a smart playlist.
If a user selects such a file, Partymode is activated and the "smart playlist" is processed and the songs are selected out of the Song-Pool. Wink

- jmarshall - 2006-09-07

None of this will happen pre-2.0 anyway.

After that, the all-singing, all-dancing GUI will be developed.

- Solo0815 - 2006-09-07

^^ hehe

i´m hoping to get 2.0 soon Cool Wink Laugh

My Music - Party Mode - Number of objects - ultrabrutal - 2006-10-01

Party mode auto selects 10 objects, however in my setup there is room for 3-4 objects more on screen. It looks "wrong" or "empty" that the lower part is not filled with tracks.

Running 720p with ariel font

- kraqh3d - 2006-10-02

Its correct. Looks are deceiving. edit: Though, it would be quite trivial to make it an advanced setting option.

- ultrabrutal - 2006-10-02

Something like: NumberOfVisibleRows = ClientWindowHeight DIV RowHeight;

Not a big problem, just an idea Wink

Changes to the Playlist Player (aka, the Now Playing windows) - kraqh3d - 2006-11-26

The operation of the Now Playing windows has changed. Please post any bugs here.

Overview
---------
There are two main changes:

- Removal of the PLAYLIST_MUSIC_TEMP and PLAYLIST_VIDEO_TEMP internal playlists
- Removal of the Random button from the Now Playing window

1) Removal of the PLAYLIST_MUSIC_TEMP and PLAYLIST_VIDEO_TEMP internal playlists

Prior to this change, internally Xbmc managed four playlists -- two which were visible via the Now Playing windows, and two which were completely hidden. Since these two hidden playlists (the _TEMP one) have always been a form of a mystery to users, they have been removed.

Playlist ID's are now:
0 = PLAYLIST_MUSIC (Music Now Playing window)
1 = PLAYLiST_VIDEO (Video Now Playing window)

Any 3rd party applications which reference an internal playlists by number will need to be updated accordingly.

2) Removal of the Random button from the Now Playing windows

There has always been some confusion due to the Shuffle and Random buttons in the Now Playing windows. The following changes eliminate this confusion by removing the need for the Random button. So, the first change
to note is that the Random button is now gone from the PM3 skin. Skins need to be updated accordingly. (If the button exists, it just wont do anything.)

The builtin PlayerControl(Random) function now controls the Shuffle button of whatever the currently active playlist is (this is either Music Now Playing or Video Now Playing.)

The state of the Shuffle button is now saved, but continues to work like it did before where the list can be unshuffled.

Changes in Operation:
---------------------

My Music and My Video work a little differently due to how Music autostarts so I'll explain them seperately and detail where the difference exists.

1) My Music

When the Music Now Playing window is empty, newly queued items are automatically added in a shuffled order to the window. (They can still be unshuffled.) Music will autostart the queue from the top.

If the Music playlist is being playing and new items are queued, the new items are added in a shuffled order mixed directly into the playlist starting at two positions below the current song. (Crossfading keeps track of the "next" song.)

If the Music Now Playing window is not empty, and new items are queued, they are added to the bottom of the existing playlist but in a shuffled order. This is to maintain the previous operation in Music where if the playlist was not playing, and new items are queued, playback begins from the new items.

2) My Video

When the Video Now Playing window is empty, newly queued items are automatically added in a shuffled order to the window. Like before, Video queues do not auto start.

If the Video playlist is being played and new items are queued, the new items are added in a shuffled order mixed directly into the playlist starting at two positions below the current song. (For simplicity, the operation matches music. I am considering changing this but I need to check that the video player doesnt keep track of the "next" item first.)

If the Video Now Playing window is not empty, and new items are queued, they are added to the bottom of the existing playlist, in a shuffled order. Here's where the difference between music and video comes into play... Because video doesnt autoplay, if you queue single items, they will not be not be added in a shuffled order because Xbmc is really shuffling a list of 1 item. The work around is to start playback from the first added item, return to the gui while its playing, and add the others. This way the new items will be shuffled according to the rules above.

** edit **

One thing I forgot to mention is that now both Music and Video behave like WinAmp and Foobar context menu options in Windows. When you use "PLAY", the contents Now Playing window is cleared before the items are added.

- Jezz_X - 2006-11-26

Would like to point out this broke the svn and it dosn't compile any more Sad
d:\xbmc Source\xbmc\utils\GUIInfoManager.cpp(1264): error C2065: 'PLAYLIST_MUSIC_TEMP' : undeclared identifier
d:\xbmc Source\xbmc\utils\GUIInfoManager.cpp(1270): error C3861: 'PLAYLIST_MUSIC_TEMP': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
d:\xbmc Source\xbmc\utils\GUIInfoManager.cpp(1387): error C2065: 'PLAYLIST_VIDEO_TEMP' : undeclared identifier
d:\xbmc Source\xbmc\utils\GUIInfoManager.cpp(1393): error C3861: 'PLAYLIST_VIDEO_TEMP': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup

- HarshReality - 2006-11-26

Yap, craps out around the time application.cpp comes into play

- kraqh3d - 2006-11-27

Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot to commit a file. Open GUIInfoManager.cpp and delete those four references to the _TEMP playlists. I can commit a fix it in about two hours or so.

**edit** Nevermind, someone already corrected it. Please let me know if anything else seems broken.