Kodi Community Forum
I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem (/showthread.php?tid=239798)

Pages: 1 2

I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-23

Hi all,

I'm praying someone can help me figure this out.

I have a Win 7 x64 machine (Intel HD 4600 graphics).

If I use an Emby client I get proper colors, but if I use Kodi I get black crush in a bad way.

I've tried the System\Settings\Video in Expert mode and toggled the limited color space option on and off. I've also done the same on my projector to no avail.

I'm stumped. I love the Kodi UI and would really like to use it, but of course having proper video is paramount.

Is there any reason why the Kodi engine wouldn't display colors properly while other clients (including Netflix on Chrome) does?

Thanks in advance!

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - MadScientist - 2015-09-23

What are your Intel driver settings? Both the 4600 driver settings (video\ display) should be set to full range. Kodi and the TV\proj set to limited range. Alternatively, Kodi and TV\proj set to full range but I prefer limited range for these.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-23

Hmm, I didn't realize the driver itself had a setting. I'll check that and report back. Thank you for the reply!

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - MadScientist - 2015-09-23

The Intel driver has two settings (sort of input and output) - set both to full range.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-25

Well unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. The Intel driver settings were both set to full range already. While it makes a bit of a difference what I set my projector and Kodi to, any setting results in black crush.

Any other ideas?

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-25

For what it's worth, my Blu-ray player plays fine (in terms of color space) so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my projector settings.

I've installed VLC media player and it plays the same movie files just fine (as does Emby).

So... why would Kodi 'process' the colors differently?

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - MadScientist - 2015-09-25

I'm not sure what's going on here. If your blu-ray player is outputting a limited range colour space, it should render the same black\white levels as Kodi. That's what I find with my Oppo93. What version of Kodi are you using? The Jarvis alphas (which use DX11) are giving unusual results regarding black levels (menus too dark; video too bright) so are not a good test example.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - johncaruso - 2015-09-25

Just thought I'd chime in to say I'm also experiencing this black crush problem on an Alienware Alpha with its Nvidia GeForce GTX on Wndows 8 64 bit.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-26

(2015-09-25, 08:53)MadScientist Wrote: I'm not sure what's going on here. If your blu-ray player is outputting a limited range colour space, it should render the same black\white levels as Kodi. That's what I find with my Oppo93. What version of Kodi are you using? The Jarvis alphas (which use DX11) are giving unusual results regarding black levels (menus too dark; video too bright) so are not a good test example.

I'm using Isengard 15.1, not the DX11 test builds. I think it's very telling that VLC plays the same files without the black crush. It's like Kodi is processing the video somehow. Looking on the Kodi wiki, I can see a screenshot of video settings where there is brightness and contrast. I'm guessing this is old because it's not in Isengard, but it's like the brightness is turned down...

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - steelman1991 - 2015-09-26

I think they are still there - but they need to be activated. While in settings, make sure you are in either 'advanced or expert mode' - bottom left hand corner there is an option to change what is made available to the user.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-26

(2015-09-26, 08:47)steelman1991 Wrote: I think they are still there - but they need to be activated. While in settings, make sure you are in either 'advanced or expert mode' - bottom left hand corner there is an option to change what is made available to the user.

I've done that (i.e. I'm in expert mode)- they are not there.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-27

Are there any devs that hang out here and support the app?

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - johncaruso - 2015-09-27

Well, dunno what happened but I'm no longer experiencing this problem.

I did notice there are brightness and contrast controls you can access via the video settings (movie reel) icon while playing a video.

Madfloyd, you might want to ensure these are at their defaults of 50% and select the option to save as default for all videos.

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - Madfloyd - 2015-09-28

John, thanks for that piece of info. Sure enough I can access brightness and contrast - yay!

... only they don't do anything. I can pump the brightness (or contrast) all the way full or down to zero - nothing happens.

Same with the zoom and all other settings - they don't seem to have any effect.

The plot thickens... it's like someone's playing a cruel trick on me :-(

RE: I have the weirdest Black Crush problem - johncaruso - 2015-09-28

Madfloyd, just checked and both brightness and contrast are working fine for me. BTW, I'm also on Isengard 15.1.

My suggestion... reinstall Windows, or at least revert back to a known good state using system restore.