Kodi Community Forum
Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Amber (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=203)
+---- Thread: Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) (/showthread.php?tid=243589)

Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Zuranorb - 2015-10-14

I have a Problem with custom Background but only when i use Amber Skin.

On Confluence everything works Fine Custom backgrounds stay sharp and dont get Pixelated.

But when i use Amber skin the same Picture looks very bad when i select custom Background via Settings/Backgrounds on Kodi MenĂ¼.

The Strange things is when i replace the Standart Backgrounds located in AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.amber with my custom Backgroud and rename it the Picture dont get Pixelated
but i dont want to manually move and rename the Pictures everytime when there is a Setting in the Kodi MenĂ¼ (wich doesnt work) Sad

Any clues ? I tryed that method with Advancedsettings.xml but i has no effect

Also my Android Version of Kodi with Amber doesnt have this Problem...
only my Windows7 Pc wich i want to setup now Huh

RE: Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Kamiz - 2015-10-18

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem. I do not have time to explain now, but I would do tonight.

RE: Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Zuranorb - 2015-10-18

THX looking forward to your answer Smile

RE: Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Kamiz - 2015-10-18

First of all, I have this problem on my Raspberry, so the paths and file I will quote will perhaps not identical, but the principle remains the same.
The aim is to directly modify the image that is cached.

First, add the custom background via Settings/Backgrounds on Kodi Menu.
Then, go to the home menu to display the image and thus the cache.
Close Kodi.
Go to "appdata/kodi/userdata/Database". Open the file "textures13.db" with a software (I use SQLite Manager, an addon for firefox).
After that, choose the texture table, and find your background :

For example, i stock my background in "Pictures" folder :

We now have the localization of the background. Go to "appdata/kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/c/cfa83...jpg"
Just replace this file by your HD background (the original). Do not forget to rename it with the same name.

Now, open kodi and admires your background Laugh

If you have questions, do not hesitate. Sorry if i have bad english, but i'm french Blush

Re: RE: Custom Background bad quality/looks pixilated on Amber skin (Windows Version) - Milhouse - 2015-10-19

(2015-10-18, 20:47)Kamiz Wrote: Just replace this file by your HD background (the original). Do not forget to rename it with the same name.

This is really bad advice.

The files you will find in the Thumbnails folder are optimised for the Kodi client. Original artwork will be resized and reformatted into a format that can be hardware decoded by the Kodi client. Copying the original quality files directly into the cache may mean the Kodi client is then unable to display artwork from its own cache - for instance any Kodi client that, for example, can't hardware decode progressive jpgs, will always store non-progressive jpgs in the cache, so if that Kodi client then finds a progressive jpg in its cache strange things might happen.

If you're having problems with the quality of your cached artwork then look at the imageres and fanartres settings for your system - these are settings you can add to your advancedsettings.xml file, and your system will have defaults (if the settings are too low then artwork can become badly pixelated when added to the cache).

Settings of fanartres=1080 and imageres=720 should produce high quality cached artwork, more or less indistinguishable from the original artwork.

If you want a (relatively) simple method to query your cache and/or re-cache artwork (eg. after increasing imageres/fanartres settings) then look at the script in my sig.