Kodi Community Forum
Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Web Browser integrated into XBMC - HTML Layout Engine with a GUI embedded into XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=25)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- Gamester17 - 2008-03-13

It could be possible update the LinksBoks SVN branch and integrate a new very slim and memory efficient cross-portable HTML layout engine rendering backend with few dependencies like KHTML or WebKit into XBMC, but the problem is finding developers who have personal interest in developing a such web-browser and actively maintaining that code, ...which is by the way the real reason why the LinksBoks/LinksBrowser branch for XBMC never got integrated into the main XBMC SVN trunk, no developer was willing to actively maintain the code (with bug-fixes, etc.).

web browser - chris123321 - 2008-03-13

Thanks for the input.

- elliottlock - 2008-03-13

The iphone has the Safari web browser which I imagine must be cut down as the iPhone can't have that much RAM in it.

Also why can't we use Virtual memory on my big fat HDD I have on my Xbox instead.

Dunno if what i just said is possible but I just thought it might be?

- Gamester17 - 2008-03-14

Safari uses WebKit which is a fork of KHTML, I mention both in my last post.

Virtual Memory (Swap/Paging Memory) is a separate discussion, see here.

PS! Interesting reading for you: http://macenstein.com/default/archives/500
Today we know the first iPhone launched had 128MB of RAM, twice as much as the original Xbox
http://furbo.org/2007/08/21/what-the-iphone-specs-dont-tell-you/

- tvdb-scott - 2008-03-14

elliottlock Wrote:The iphone has the Safari web browser which I imagine must be cut down as the iPhone can't have that much RAM in it.

Sad Duck and cover, bud. Duck and cover.

The iPhone has 128mb of RAM, IIRC. I suggest you go back and read Gamester's response, though. No XBMC devs want to touch it, so it doesn't matter how much resources the Xbox has.

- elliottlock - 2008-03-16

Makes me hungger fox XBMC on Xbox 360. I wish I could have that so everything was possible. Sad

- pt-1 - 2008-03-16

There was a project once called TuxZen for the DBox in Germany (66Mhz and 32Mb Ram)

- dr4stic - 2008-06-27

Just to add my $0.02.. I understand the early reluctance to build a web browser into XBMC because the original xbox hardware simply couldn't do it. However today I'm running XBMC on my AppleTV which has a 1Ghz CPU and 256 meg RAM. It isn't a power house but could easily run a browser.

More and more people are going to be building HTPC's with XBMC in mind and would like to be able to browse the web without having to exit or minimize XBMC to do it. If there were a web browser I'd personally get myself a DiNovo Mini for some basic web browsing. It'd be even cooler if there were a "mini" mode for incidental web browsing, like looking up a brand website after seeing it in a commercial or something ridiculous like that.

Most importantly it'd be nice if it was fully integrated into XBMC. Now, before anyone goes saying I could just start a web browser in the background, take into consideration that I don't run a window manager. The machine boots and launches X which starts up XBMC, no Gnome or KDE to get in the way. I really like it like that, there's less overhead, no popups to get in the way.

Technically Possible. - Hemorrhoid - 2008-07-01

Hey all!

First time poster here... Anyway, other than the good old Xbox, I also have a Nintendo DS, which runs Opera as a browser. Now, this was an internet browser released by Nintendo as a 'Game' to take advantage of the Wifi capabilities, but the folks behind DSOrganise, have also integrated into their homebrew software an internet browser as well!

And the hardware specifications of the Nintendo DS (1 x 67mhz + 1 x 33mhz, with 4MB ram).... now I'm no hardware expert, but I'd bet that the XBox has a little more happening under the bonnet than the humble NDSL...

Even the Nokia 6120 has 369 mhz with 64MB Ram and that fully supports flash and Flash Lite.... So a simple web browser should be within reach..... in theory.

- h4Ck3R - 2008-07-02

xbox has like 64mb of ram and like a 733mhz processor or something like that, running a browser would be easyyyy butttt integrating it into xbmc would take up more ram and processor speed so it MIGHT not work that well. i definetely want to get a browser built into my xbmc, idc if its slow, linksbox is shit (no offense to creator). i want a browser integrated with flash (w/e version can play imeem.com and youtube.com) and java and can save files, launch a media file directly from the source. xbmc developers could probably start selling xbmc if they did that :p

- sipart - 2008-07-02

h4Ck3R Wrote:xbox has like 64mb of ram and like a 733mhz processor or something like that, running a browser would be easyyyy butttt integrating it into xbmc would take up more ram and processor speed so it MIGHT not work that well. i definetely want to get a browser built into my xbmc, idc if its slow, linksbox is shit (no offense to creator). i want a browser integrated with flash (w/e version can play imeem.com and youtube.com) and java and can save files, launch a media file directly from the source. xbmc developers could probably start selling xbmc if they did that :p

I think if it was easy then someone would of done it by now (well they have really as you mention, linksbox, flawed but it does work). If Apple have trouble getting Safari on iphone and ipod touch working with flash then it would be a mighty struggle for the XBMC dev's (who are obviously very talented and know how to squeeze the most out of the XBOX's hardware).

Cheers

browser like script - XboxGuy - 2008-08-18

Hi,

Is there any browser like script that i can browse the internet with?

Thanks,
G

- blittan - 2008-08-18

nope..

- PainToad - 2008-08-19

There is an app for xbox in general but. linksbox or something off the top of my head.

- XboxGuy - 2008-08-19

Thank you very much guys :-)